Does eating less really shrink your stomach and food intake?

Options
I always wondered this....can anyone tell me? And how long does it take to notice that you're eating smaller portions?

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 5-6 small meals and I can totally tell a difference! I love it! Even when I am bad, I am ok because Im full... have to eat slower though for it to matter-- but not that slow... have to just notice hungry signs...
  • wutamunkee
    Options
    2-3 weeks before I noticed much...
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Took me about a month to get to the point where a normal, healthy portioned meal really filled me up. Don't get me wrong, I could probably easily fall back into overeating, but I notice that I am full much sooner :)
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have been eating small meals with one or two snacks and eat around 1200 to 1500 cals a day. My stomach is smaller.. I can't eat very much even if I want to have a cheat meal. It just doesn't fit anymore.. I noticed probably after 6 weeks or so
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Can't remember how long it took for me, but I was reflecting on what a big difference there was in my appetite now vs. a year ago. It definitely happens!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a few months into this and I find that I get satisfied much sooner...which is a reminder to me to eat slowly and pay attention to how I feel. I know sometimes I eat quickly and want to keep eating but if I wait, drink some water and give it 10 minutes I don't need to eat anymore.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The big distended stomach we all get from regularly over eating is the aberration. Eat normally and it will drop back to its normal, human size - which is roughly the size of your fist. You can't really pack a double quarter pounder with cheese and supersize fries into a volume the size of your fist, though, so the stomach has to accommodate.

ETA: I had a really big, but healthy, lunch today that included a cup of cooked brocolli, a cup of cooked carrots, 2 cups of salad, a small orange, PLUS my Lean Cuisine Salisbury steak and mashed potatoes. Only 500 Cal, but so big that I'm kind of miserable right now. I'm supposed to be eating my afternoon snack right now, but I'm going to skip it. Three months ago, that amount of food wouldn't have phased me at all.
  • nbean0690
    Options
    I read an article once that said it takes 2-3 weeks to feel full from smaller meals but ONE meal to expand your stomach again. The article said that is why having one cheat day where you pig out on everyhting may not be beneficial. It said you will never get to the point where smaller meals make you feel full. It recommended that you eat smaller meals all the time and incorporate your "cheat" foods in smaller portions anytime you want them.
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find myself noticing the effects of both ways - eating too much and eating the 'right' amount. For example, this morning I filled myself up on ONE yogurt... Usually it took 2, and prior to that (so when I was addicted to food and had not yet started) it might've taken literally 5+. Likewise, if I eat badly, I notice my hunger pangs significantly increase for MANY subsequent days. It takes so long to achieve that state of easily contented but it's worth it. So YES, in my opinion, it does.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    ditto for me. smaller meals fill me up.

Just think, all the money used for surgery to make the stomach smaller when eating smaller portions helps do the trick.
    what a concept :~>
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am on 1200 cals a day and I tend to eat meals no larger than 250 cals. It took a couple of weeks for me to realise that I was full after each meal, I think we just get so used to eating high calorie meals that we don`t even notice when we are full.

I go out for lunch with my Dad on a Sunday and have a meal in a restaurant approx 700 cals...and I am absolutely stuffed it takes me about 30 minutes to eat it and it is cold by the time I have ploughed my way through it. My breakfast on a Sunday is a banana and my evening meal is crispbreads with cold meat.

Sunday is my `cheat` meal day and I really enjoy my meal but I don`t enjoy the full and bloated feeling...go figure haha
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that it does! I started my journey to healthier eating about 3 years ago, and I think it was about a month or two into it that I noticed a lot less food was filling me up. I was certainly feeling full a lot sooner. Now I almost always cut my restaurant meals in half and take the leftovers home, which never used to happen. But the smaller portion is just as satisfying, and it means less cooking for me =D
  • tcemt
    tcemt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-7 small meals per day. I eat mainly clean protein (4-6 ounces depending on what kind of clean protein) and fresh vegi's. It took only a week with me to noitice I'm full eating the smaller meals. I try not to go more than 2-3 hours without eating and I'm sticking with a 1200 calorie limit. Don't forget to hydrate yourself as sometimes you may think your hungry when really you're thristy. Stick in there, it'll get better.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No. All lies. If I decide to splurge, I see that I can still pack it in. Maybe it's cuz of my workout regimine. Who knows. Discipline is still key.
  • wutamunkee
    Options
    I read an article once that said it takes 2-3 weeks to feel full from smaller meals but ONE meal to expand your stomach again. The article said that is why having one cheat day where you pig out on everyhting may not be beneficial. It said you will never get to the point where smaller meals make you feel full. It recommended that you eat smaller meals all the time and incorporate your "cheat" foods in smaller portions anytime you want them.

This is what I do... Even if you do have a "Cheat day" That doesnt mean stuff yourself full of junk... don't ruin your body over one day of "reward" What reward is that?!