Modified Weight Exercises for Knee Injury?

Options
It's a long story, but I injured my knee and I'm waiting for my MRI and eventual pre-op. My GP has some suspicions, but the real issue is still TBD. Basically my knee is hard locked into a semi-arch, slightly bent, but not fully straight either. I've been on and off crutches for 2 months now.

I've gotten the blessing to do some aqua aerobics and lane swimming. The pool has been amazing. Since going, I've been able to get my knee to support my weight for small portions of the day.

I've also gotten the blessing to do some weights again, but from a seated position, nothing that puts pressure or any sort of aggravation on my knee. I used to do the 5x5 stronglifts (not how I hurt my knee) and I'm trying to find modified versions of it, but google is being really unhelpful. I mean, these 'modified' versions are assuming I can bend my knee and/or stand up without help :'(

So, I'm asking all you helpful people. What sort of modified weight exercises do you like that can be done seated? <3

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    twinkles4 wrote: »
    It's a long story, but I injured my knee and I'm waiting for my MRI and eventual pre-op. My GP has some suspicions, but the real issue is still TBD. Basically my knee is hard locked into a semi-arch, slightly bent, but not fully straight either. I've been on and off crutches for 2 months now.

I've gotten the blessing to do some aqua aerobics and lane swimming. The pool has been amazing. Since going, I've been able to get my knee to support my weight for small portions of the day.

I've also gotten the blessing to do some weights again, but from a seated position, nothing that puts pressure or any sort of aggravation on my knee. I used to do the 5x5 stronglifts (not how I hurt my knee) and I'm trying to find modified versions of it, but google is being really unhelpful. I mean, these 'modified' versions are assuming I can bend my knee and/or stand up without help :'(

So, I'm asking all you helpful people. What sort of modified weight exercises do you like that can be done seated? <3
    You can do ANY regular curl, tricep extension, press, lateral raise, etc. from the seated position. They'll just be harder due to not being able to get any "spring" from your legs.

If you want some cardio, get some battleropes and let your arms do the work for now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    As someone that had a "locked knee" and went into surgery twice, I'm not sure I could recommend anything. Once I went into surgery, I was told the knee was so bad that when the surgeon bent it, it dislocated every time. That's why it was "locked" and I could not bend it past a certain point. I had shredded the meniscus off the bone as it turns out when my knee dislocated (I tried to cut without an ACL, really bad idea!).

I'm assuming yours isn't that severe, but I would say hold off until after your surgery to be safe. If I were to do anything if I were you, it would be just perhaps some simple movements or one legged (assisted) pistol squats on your good leg. Maybe donkey kicks or such with your bad knee or kneeling on your good knee and doing side lifts, etc., with your bad leg.

I wouldn't risk putting too much stress on it to be honest. What you'll gain versus what you could hurt additionally (to me) wouldn't be worth it.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m coming from a physical therapy student view. I would recommend getting a referral to see a PT because they can do tests to determine what is going on with your knee. They can also help manage pain and increase range of motion of your knee. They will also give you a home exercise program for you to do in preparation for any upcoming surgery.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I didn't even think of battleropes or pistol squats! Great ideas.

I did look in to a PT and unfortunately there is a wait list in my area (rural) Hopefully it's not too long of a wait.

I hear you on the concerns though. Totally fair. I mean, it's scary to think that if I didn't have a desk job, I'd be on disability right now. :#
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Your doctors and a referral to physio may have a lot to say, be sure to play this with a full deck. Be very aware that the knee is a very limited movement bound by muscles connected to very versatile hip and ankle joints - the kneecap slides up and down a fixed bone track, that can be pulled askew by muscle imbalances at hip or ankle. Bad foot positioning for squats can increase friction. I've worked through some painful patellar tedonitis to the point of pain-free 1-leg squats, by working hips and to a lesser extent ankles, not by forcing my knees - only an example, wouldn't chance any suggestion without a medical assessment.