Best vitamin D supplement?

Options
In a world of a million brands, I'm looking for a good one. I have tried doing research and it looks like a lot of reviews are mixed.
What supplement do you take? Have you had the chance to check your blood panel and see if your levels improved?

I am currently deficient (I get a lot of sunlight and try to get it in my diet), but I need some extra help.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    I've used Puritan's Pride and Trader Joe's...both 5000 iu a day and I went up from 30 however they measure it to 54ish. 30 was already normal but I needed to be extraordinary to heal better. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/vitamin-d

Here is a list of independently tested brands.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I take Bluebonnet Earth Sweet Chewables. They have a nice berry flavor. I don't like swallowing pills so always try to find a chewable version.

They seem to be good. I was low in D and then eventually deficient and after taking 100mcg of these for many months my numbers improved to the middle of the preferred range.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I take it in a drop that is in an olive oil base - that is what my doctor suggested.

I think that fat is supposed to help absorption so that is why it is in oil? Not sure about that though.
  • flossyposse
    flossyposse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I take it in a drop that is in an olive oil base - that is what my doctor suggested.

I think that fat is supposed to help absorption so that is why it is in oil? Not sure about that though.

That makes sense, vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin
  • flossyposse
    flossyposse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I ended up finding one that will hopefully arrive next week. :)
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nice that you got the answer but if you are still open for suggestions then you can try ginihealth’s customised supplements plan, i kinda liked their idea of creating supplements based on your DNA.