Cardio that can be done with a stress fracture on foot?

Options
I have been overtraining during the pandemic and just found out I have a stress fracture on my foot. Prior to this, I was doing a lot of spinning, HIIT, and strength training, but I have had to replace them with mostly pilates and upper body-only strength. I'm really missing the benefits of cardio. Any suggestions for foot injury-safe cardio? I am limited to what can be done at home or outside. I don't have access to a gym. Thanks!

Replies

• kfc6
    kfc6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot in April. For a long time it hurt too much to even pedal my exercise bike, but now I can. You might not be able to stand for spinning, but with a proper shoe you should be able to pedal and increase resistance for a more intense workout. I am riding my bicycle also. Good luck.
  • 7under2
    7under2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went through a bout of plantar fasciitis and had a similar problem. I know how frustrating it is to have to limit what is available to you for workouts. If the goal is to find a way to get the heart rate up and stay there for a period of time, I'd suggest writing up a routine that alternates between a variety of upper-body exercises with ab / core work in place of any breaks between sets. For example, round 1: dumbbell shoulder press x10, 45 second plank, dumbbell curls x 10, 45 second left side plank, dumbbell side / front raises x10, 45 second left side plank. Repeat the entire series two more times with NO time off between any of the exercises-- transition one to the other immediately. That should take 10-15 minutes. Come up with two more rounds that are similar (each repeated 3 times) and you'll have a 30-45 minute workout which will maintain a HR equivalent to a steady jog.

Aside from something like that I'd suggest rowing or swimming, but it sounds like you do not have access to either of those right now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Probably something you should direct towards your medical team since they have all your information on your condition. This is highly individualized. I was able to cycle and walk when I had a stress fracture.
  • JenMatt19
    JenMatt19 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I should add I'm in a boot at the moment, so cycling (I have to clip in) and walking very far are out. :(
  • DeniseSalsera
    DeniseSalsera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used a rowing machine when my food fractured. And as silly as this sounds, I touch-tapped "head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes" tapping as fast as I could for a few minutes each day. It's all about moving, even if you can't have any impact on your foot. And hang in there. Eventually you'll be in a walking routine, then after maybe a year you'll forget your foot hurts.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    you could get a decent peddler and peddle with your arms. the desk cycle and the magnetrainer come to mind, but there are cheaper ones you could use.

depending on where your injury is, you could use an exercise bike. i have an injured toe, so i put my heels on the pedals - i don't clip or use straps for this - and my toes go off the end so they're not involved. or you could do the same thing by putting the balls of your feet on the pedals so your heel is off.
  • JenMatt19
    JenMatt19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my foot several years ago. Too much time on the stair climber machine, I think! While it was healing, I did the arm cycle machine and the rower at the gym. And of course, upper body strength training. I do remember that when I was finally released from the boot, I was only allowed 10 minutes on the stationary bike at first and gradually built up time and tension. Eventually, I was able to get back to my spin classes!
    Hang in there!