Mediterranean Diet Eating

Options
mclind
mclind Posts: 5 Member
Am interested in healthy food and the Mediterranean way of eating seems the direction I am going. Anyone else? Tips?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and we eat the Med diet everyday. There are many Med countries that have their own habits and foods. You can get as close as you can by looking up the Med pyramid which will give you the percentages and types of carbs, fats, proteins, and sugars used.

It may seem daunting but you can just balance out all these macros--MFP pretty much does this automatically. Try to use olive oil for your fat, and up your vegetable and fruit intake. Use local produce and products as much as possible and cook from scratch for the majority of your meals. For your protein source -lean meats, fish, eggs, and legumes.

The Med diet, in my opinion, is what we used to call a "well balanced" diet when I was a kid.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    mclind wrote: »
    Am interested in healthy food and the Mediterranean way of eating seems the direction I am going. Anyone else? Tips?

Olive oil is expensive. Buy it in bulk if possible. Check the prices at your local restaurant supply store. It will be fresher than what’s on the grocery shelves so buying enough for a whole year could save you a few bucks.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Be sure to look past the pasta and olive oil. The Mediterranean diet is grounded in fruits and veggies and learning to cook what's in season!