New PCP

Options
cwolfman13
cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
So...I just found out today that my PCP of over ten years is going to full time cardiology and will no longer be providing services as a general practitioner. He has been the best GP I've ever had. One of the things I really liked about him is that he's very attuned to the needs of athletes and very active people. He was the PCP for many of our local athletes like Holly Holm, John Bone Jones, and many others. He is not only very knowledgeable about medicine, but has a passion for sports medicine. He himself coaches his own triathlon team as well as competes. We have a great Dr./patient relationship, but also friendly in that we would run into each other at different cycling events or I would post something about a ride on FB and he would comment, etc. He also would give me advice on various things when I went to see him for something, even if I wasn't going to see him for that specific thing...even training advice.

He has given me a couple of recommendations...one is his wife who is also my wife's PCP. She is great and my wife loves her but at the same time, she seems more like you everyday sort of GP. Another is a young guy who is a Doctor of Osteopathic medicine which I honestly know very little about.

On one hand, I to some extent know my Dr. wife from talking to her in the office when I was in and through my wife...but I've never had a Dr. of the opposite sex...but there's at least some familiarity there. The other guy I don't know at all and I don't know much about a Doctor of Osteopathic medicine...but I also trust my PCP not to steer me wrong. In a bit of a conundrum here. I haven't had to seek out a new Dr. in forever.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Thoughts ?

Who needs a doctor when you can just drink Apple Cider Vinegar ??

and/or ....

Why not give the female doctor a shot? I would.

His wife might also have a keen interest in sports medicine, one which you haven't yet discovered.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

His wife might also have a keen interest in sports medicine, one which you haven't yet discovered.

That is the way I'm leaning. I know all of my records will be transferred over to whomever I choose, but at least there is some familiarity there.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

That is the way I'm leaning. I know all of my records will be transferred over to whomever I choose, but at least there is some familiarity there.

Right?

Like I said, she might share the common interest in sports medicine & just isn't so vocal about it.

Or, she might want to become more interested in it to help round out her own expertise.

Either way, I'm giving her a chance.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying the wife doctor first. She's probably going to inherit a lot of her husband's patients so will probably learn more about sports medicine along the way.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, the thread title really piqued my interest
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

Plus, if she doesn't know an answer she can always ask her dr. dh who already knows you very well. :)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

Right?

Like I said, she might share the common interest in sports medicine & just isn't so vocal about it.

Or, she might want to become more interested in it to help round out her own expertise.

Well bummer...I just tried to set up a new patient appointment with her and was informed that she is no longer a provider for the Lovelace Medical Group. I set up a new patient appointment with the other guy but can't get in until January 31. I have a physical scheduled for the end of August with a retired Dr. who works overflow for Lovelace for things like physicals. This all pretty much sucks really.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

Right?

Well bummer...I just tried to set up a new patient appointment with her and was informed that she is no longer a provider for the Lovelace Medical Group. I set up a new patient appointment with the other guy but can't get in until January 31. I have a physical scheduled for the end of August with a retired Dr. who works overflow for Lovelace for things like physicals. This all pretty much sucks really.

Well then, I guess that Apple Cider Vinegar really is now your only option.

Either that, or go “off plan”.

( I reckon neither one is the best option..... is it any wonder advice here is free ??)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Thoughts ?

and/or ....

Right?

Well then, I guess that Apple Cider Vinegar really is now your only option.

Either that, or go “off plan”.

( I reckon neither one is the best option..... is it any wonder advice here is free ??)

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I think sometimes we pay for this advice....

:)

Definitely a bummer about your doctor. It's part of why I like Kaiser. There are only so many choices and they're all in one place.