Building strength and endurance after knee sprain and inactivity?

Options
jdbly3373
jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
edited June 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I have some knee pain and back pain. I have been active in the past aerobically. I worked a warehouse job as a picker and another job as a stocker and exercised on my own. I never really did weights. Every time I do my back flares up. I hurt my knee (a sprain) one day last year after being off a couple weeks for COVID. I've been out of work for a while and been lazy. I stopped working out completely a couple months ago. Do any of you have any advice for these issues? How do you do weights even light weights without injuring yourself. Should I just way slow down a basic plan and use extremely light weights for a while and slowly increase the reps, sets, and weight over time? And how do you walk and do aerobics, etc. without your knee getting reinjured? I feel like my body is just out of wack right now but I want to get healthy again.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Current evidence shows we reduce injury risk by utilizing proper load management. So we account for everything in life not just the gym.

I would suggest using intensities that are reasonable to your current adaptations and sufficient volume while building up a work compacity. So regardless what you were capable a year ago, we look as what we are capable now no matter how humbling that may be for some. Start lower volume and find the sweet spot of intensity that is challenging but not so close to failure we are accumulating so much stress our load management is stressed.

Hard to advice you with not knowing your current abilities, equipment available, etc...If your back "flares up", more than likely your load management is off.

Unless you have evidence that something is structally weak with you, find lifts you can complete within your load management.

One thing for certain is if you are adding intensity in a linear fashion, that probably won't last long and I wouldn't continue to the point you are grinding weight. I would simply find appropriate programming for your adaptation.
  • jdbly3373
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Yeah, every time I try to lift weights I get a strain in my back. I don't think I have much foundational strength and my body is kind of built different ( I can't squat low like some people my arms don't straighten straight, they are kind of crooked, my stomach pooches from extra weight and crazy weak abs) so have to use pretty light weights I guess. As for my knee, it always just has a dull pain during movement that gets worse with added activity. I'd like to rehabilitate my knee. Maybe I should make a doctors appointment for the knee again.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    From experience with both knee and low back, it's important to first know for sure whether there is a skeletal problem (medical issue, exercise can worsen) or just muscle weakness or imbalance. Then remember both are very dependent on weakness or tension elsewhere, especially hips and glutes, that connect and can pull a joint out of healthy alignment. Knee pain (e.g. common patellar tendonitis) in particular can respond very well to hip and ankle strengthening and stretches rather than forcing more direct weight-bearing stress on it. Best to get a solid handle on problems before trying to solve them.
  • jdbly3373
    Options
    Yes, I have a lot of muscle weakness and imbalance. I am extremely tight and have hardly any flexibility. My abs are weak. My back issue is not anything major.When I am walking and working it is fine. It just goes out every time I try to lift weights.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    why not start out doing back and ab exercises that don't use weight and work up from there? or when you work your back with weight, start out with only 10 or 20 pounds?
  • I2k4
    edited June 2021
    Options
    jdbly3373 wrote: »
    Yes, I have a lot of muscle weakness and imbalance. I am extremely tight and have hardly any flexibility. My abs are weak. My back issue is not anything major.When I am walking and working it is fine. It just goes out every time I try to lift weights.

I have a structurally "long" back that needs watching, fine as long as its cared for but a few months of desktwork, etc. and it will seize up. Rest through any pain, but when pain-free the best for me are face-down floor "superman" arches - bodyweight only: Superman lifts his legs and tightens his rump before lifting arms and arching back, and always looks down not ahead. Start with very limited time and reps. There's a lot of technique in resistance lifting, especially for iffy backs.
  • jdbly3373
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I2k4 wrote: »

I have a structurally "long" back that needs watching, fine as long as its cared for but a few months of desktwork, etc. and it will seize up. Rest through any pain, but when pain-free the best for me are face-down floor "superman" arches - bodyweight only: Superman lifts his legs and tightens his rump before lifting arms and arching back, and always looks down not ahead. Start with very limited time and reps. There's a lot of technique in resistance lifting, especially for iffy backs.

Thats exactly how mine is. I've been doing seated work for a few months and my back is having issues, just feels really off. Its worse sitting down than it ever was standing, walking, and bending over all day. Working with weights causes that too but then it actually goes out. I'll start the supermans.
  • I2k4
    Options
    Apart from a couple of complete off-work lock-ups I had times I sat at a meeting table and had to grit my teeth to get up and walk out when it was over. Take the supers slow but progress them and you'll soon know if they're working for you.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I think a doctor/physio appointment would be a good start. Your issues could be caused by muscle tension and weaknesses, but there could be more to them.

I know for example that I use my abdominal muscles to protect my back when I lift, so when those muscles are weak, there's less support for my back and it's more effort to maintain proper form, increasing my risk of injury. Similarly when I can't squat deep, it's usually tight hip flexors and/or limited ankle mobility that is preventing a full range of motion. Limited ankle mobility was causing me knee pain when running earlier this year, so I have some specific exercises from my physio to address that - as I hadn't experienced knee pain before, I made sure to have it checked out when I realised it was more than a niggle.

I have previously had this physio as a personal trainer, and I know my body very well so I can tell when something is a niggle and when it's more serious and needs assessing. Physical training is probably the only area in my life where I find it easy to ask for help, so I take full advantage of that and there's no shame in it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have some knee pain and back pain. I have been active in the past aerobically. I worked a warehouse job as a picker and another job as a stocker and exercised on my own. I never really did weights. Every time I do my back flares up. I hurt my knee (a sprain) one day last year after being off a couple weeks for COVID. I've been out of work for a while and been lazy. I stopped working out completely a couple months ago. Do any of you have any advice for these issues? How do you do weights even light weights without injuring yourself. Should I just way slow down a basic plan and use extremely light weights for a while and slowly increase the reps, sets, and weight over time? And how do you walk and do aerobics, etc. without your knee getting reinjured? I feel like my body is just out of wack right now but I want to get healthy again.
    If weight lifting hurts you, the FIRST thing I'd do is get an assessment on HOW YOUR FORM IS.
    As for your knee, you should also get that assessed to see if was just really a sprain or worse.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Consider seeing a PT, please.

If you've got time and extra energy beyond that, then try yoga, Pilates or something like Gyrotronic concurrently (with the go ahead from the aforementioned PT) for additional stabilization benefits.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Every single person has imbalances and is a buzz word that is really just silly. Especially with social media orally of professionals who literally make up a "problem" so they can sell you their"fix". It is seen way to often and keepin mind 99% of every person I trained can hit depth on first day without any issues. We might have to make adjustments to bar position, stance, grip, etc...
    Also you if you prefer not to squat, there is plenty of alternatives that are useful. So unless ypu are competing in the squat, we dont have to.

If you are saying you can't squat depth, are you saying you can't air squat depth only without pain during/afterwards?

• jdbly3373
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Every single person has imbalances and is a buzz word that is really just silly. Especially with social media orally of professionals who literally make up a "problem" so they can sell you their"fix". It is seen way to often and keepin mind 99% of every person I trained can hit depth on first day without any issues. We might have to make adjustments to bar position, stance, grip, etc...
    Also you if you prefer not to squat, there is plenty of alternatives that are useful. So unless ypu are competing in the squat, we dont have to.

If you are saying you can't squat depth, are you saying you can't air squat depth only without pain during/afterwards?

No, I don't have any pain with squatting at all. I don't mind the exercise either. Its just I can't get very deep, maybe 3/4 down to knee level. My back goes out over time lifting weights or if I try to go up in weights, maybe too much exercise and I need a break? Stupid I know, but its easy to overdo it in your enthusiasm. I honestly think weight lifting makes your body feel great!
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No, I don't have any pain with squatting at all. I don't mind the exercise either. Its just I can't get very deep, maybe 3/4 down to knee level. My back goes out over time lifting weights or if I try to go up in weights, maybe too much exercise and I need a break? Stupid I know, but its easy to overdo it in your enthusiasm. I honestly think weight lifting makes your body feel great!

I'm glad you enjoy it.

I wouldn't hazard you need a break rather look into your programming and load management. It sounds as if you accumulate too much stress within your programming.

Can I ask what program you run?

Also you can post a video of you squatting both body weight & loaded in my "form check" thread and from there I can help you achieve depth.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Doctor/PT visit should be your 1st stop.

When I had an injury, I restarted swimming after many years away. At first, I couldn't use the knee at all, but eventually I could do kicks, which really helped. If you're able, Acquacycle (stationary bikes that go in the water) are fantastic.

Normal stationary bike can also be great because you can lower the resistance as much as you need to do it without pain. They are also only a few hundred dollars and are widely available at various gyms.

Best of luck!
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2021
    Options

Nope. She is capable of healing from a sprain. She wants to practice some efficacy, which is totally reasonable and what doctors prefer in most cases.

If she had trauma, stability issues, or things worsen, then we prefer medical attention. I'm not confident from what he/she said that it's anything but a load management issue since its only after lifting for a period of time.

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Amen! Physical therapy has been proven time and again to help people return to work and sport faster than just seeing a doctor. As a student PT, I would recommend starting by simply walking ~30 minutes per day, 3-5 days per week.