My Girl Trip Meal

Options
Kel0913
Kel0913 Posts: 5 Member
So everyone takes a turn cooking on my girl trip. We will be at the beach and eating out part time, cooking part time. NOW, I KNOW the ladies I go with will not be too concerned with calories or healthy eating during the trip. HOWEVER, I MUST be careful (Fatty liver). So, I'm thinking about what to cook when it's my turn and little tricks to help me out on nights others cook. For my meal I've thought of the side dish "Avocado Corn Salad with Feta". But I need a main course. Since we are eating out I'm thinking I can get seafood then (not everyone likes it). I LOVE IT. But what can I cook? I also need something quick or crockpot-able as we will be on the run. As for what to do when others cook...I'm at a loss their also. Any recipes or tips are greatly appreciated. HELP!!!!! I'm really trying here.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Shrimp brochettes for the seafood fans. Beef or chicken brochettes for the others. May every skewer abound with veggies 🙏🏿

Have fun on the trip! It already sounds a blast!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Is there a grill available where you are staying? What about skewers with meat and veggies? You can make some shrimp, and some with chicken or beef. Mushrooms, peppers, and other veggies on the skewers help bulk up the meal with not a lot of added calories. Soy or teriyaki dipping sauce would be good.

As far as when other people cook, just be mindful of your portion sizes. Load up on lower calorie items like veggies and salad, while having smaller portions of higher-calorie foods.
  • Kel0913
    Options
    Sounds like you are both thinking along the same line. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • JavaSeaTurtle
    JavaSeaTurtle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad with watermelon, pineapple, whatever is in season where you are visiting. I add a little tajin spice to the fruit!
  • Kel0913
    Options
    I'm still looking for a protein because I'm not great on a grill. I did find some good veggie recipes on the web. Just so stuck on that main course. I love the ideas...just wish I was as better griller.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    If you are not great on the grill, maybe a seafood boil or moules mariniere is a nice beachy protein dish to have? Serve either with crusty bread.
    https://rasamalaysia.com/seafood-boil/
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mussels_in_white_wine_sauce/
  • acpgee
    Options
    That moules mariniere recipe is a bit complicated. I would just fry the shallots and garlic in butter, toss in the white wine and the mussels and steam with the lid on until the mussels are open.
  • Kel0913
    Options
    Thank you. I love seafood but my problem is not everyone going on the trip does. I'm sure I could come up with a chicken dish but was hoping for something new and exciting. LOL Anyone know of a new meat? hahahaha
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Venison? Bison? Rabbit? If your friends aren't into any of those tasty meats (or game, in general) then what about veal? It's not "new" but folks tend to pick beef over veal
  • acpgee
    Options
    If it needs to be chicken I would spatchcock a whole chicken or two on a BBQ, Spatchcock means cutting along the back bone on one side so you can spread the bird flat. Use a strong pair of scissors for this, and you might need to tear a bit where the thigh meets the backbone. Firmly press your palm down between the breasts to flatten out the chicken(s).

Salt generously inside and out and dump on the grill skin side up and put the lid on. Bring a meat thermometer and check if the meat where the thigh meets the breast has reached an internal temperature of 72C (about 35 minutes). Let rest 10 minutes off the heat before carving.

When lighting the BBQ, pile coals higher on one side than the other so you have a range different temperatures to choose from while cooking.
  • babyb2022
    babyb2022 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chicken in crockpot with jar of salsa. High 4 hours/ low 6-8.

Buy lettuce, chips, beans, tomatoes, rice, salsa
    Everyone can make their own taco salad, chipotle bowl.

You could do same with buffalo or bbq sauce then make baked potatoes & have loaded potato with the meat.
  • Helfiger
    Helfiger Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    If they don't watch the calories too much, you can really make a lot of dishes. I like to make seafood, different Asian dishes, and something Mexican. For the morning, you can make sandwiches of Philadelphia, salmon, and avocado. It's pretty nutritious. But there are actually a lot more things to do in NYC besides food. You can go to different museums or restaurants. It might not be easy to visit some of them now, but I'm sure you'll find something you like. Also, if you go to restaurants, you can just order something to eat there.