Struggling to eat all my calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily, but add them together & get the average to see the trend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    I always wonder when I hear that some CAN'T eat enough, yet they are overweight to begin with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Try monitoring your Carb intake. If you are eating less than 1000 calories and you don't eat more than 40 carbs, your weight will come off. I've lost 31lbs so far...

Depending on your size and activity level - both of which matter, that routine will also help you lose that pesky muscle mass adding to scale weight.

That will allow an even harder challenge next year when it's being attempted again because the extreme diet failed.
    And there's nothing dieters like more than making the effort more challenging, and repeating year after year.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I always wonder when I hear that some CAN'T eat enough, yet they are overweight to begin with.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I agree it's weird. But I'm finding myself in this situation now.

During my last weight gain I indulged in feeling-sorry-for-myself and boredom eating, and constantly seeking that big turkey-dinner, over-stuffed feeling. A snack would be a whole bag of chips with a container of dip, multiple bowls of sugary cereal, a few slices of pie, etc. Also I was eating a lot of fast food. (One time I didn't go to Jack in the Box for a week and when I next showed up again the order taker mentioned how they hadn't seen me in a while.) My dinners were large portions of meat with starchy sides, or heavy casseroles. Lunches were typically a couple sandwiches and chips. I was eating very few fruits and veggies. My activity level was about as sedentary as it gets.

Now that I've increased my activity to a moderate level, am eating a more balanced diet, and have adjusted to smaller portion sizes, I'm rarely hungry any more. I started out in late April at 1200 calories and lost 5.6 lbs in May. I upped it to 1350 at the end of May and lost 7.2 lbs in June. I currently have about 35 lbs to go. I understand the recommendation for a 1lb/week loss, so I think I need to aim for more like 1500 calories at my current activity level.

The problem is, I'm actually finding it hard to eat more food when I'm getting full and staying satiated on my current meals. A recent change I've made to help up the calories is I've started switching back to whole fat foods and adding in healthy oils.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yes/no.

A lot of it's overcorrecting, or was for me. You look for low fat/low calorie replacements for a lot of the calorie dense foods you eat, or otherwise change your diet to avoid them. You increase your fiber/veg intake which is bulk and overhaul when and how often you eat (ie: cut out snacking so much, or if you do snack, again, it's on low calorie stuff.

So then you're full from the veg, your usual calorie bombs aren't there, and now you're full and have eaten 800 calories today (or more but also you're more active now). that makes sense to me.

what does NOT make sense to me is this 'help, i don't know what to do' thing. you know what made you fat/where the calorie dense stuff is, because you removed it. put some of it back!

(As with TX_Bluebonnet, my 'put it back' was going back to full fat dairy, mostly. Also going back to my standard crappy white bread instead of the extra crappy low calorie white bread)