Headstand HELP Needed (+pics)

Options
a5g9vtr63yvd.jpeg

So last week was the first time I managed to hold the start of my headstand (left picture)
The right picture was this morning’s practice after training. I just couldn’t find that balance point again! And everytime I just fell out. Getting frustrated. I’ve only been practicing inversions for probably a month now (and yoga consistently since October 2020), but I want to be able to complete a full intermediate class and not have to skip them:(
Can anyone offer pointers?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about headstands but what stands out to me is how much further away from the wall your head is in the right hand picture. I think that will mean you have to push off the wall a bit harder to try to find the balance and the level of movement may be what is causing the problem. If you are just gently nudging your feet off the wall I guess your body can stay much more still and balanced overall.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don’t do headstands, but my wife does, so I showed her your pictures. One thing she pointed out is that your elbows are out too far, they need to be closer in. She also recommended looking up drills online in order to improve. She recommends following theinversionaddict on Instagram
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,483 Member
    Options
    I find a tripod headstand easier to do. You can start out by balancing your knees on your elbows til you feel comfortable with it, and then try sending up one leg at a time to get the feel of the balance.

After “getting” it, I lived in terror of falling over on the other side. When it happened, fortunately at home during a Zoom class, it was so un-scary that I couldn’t believe it. I just rolled down. No painful crashing horror like I’d feared.

Now to get handstand. *sigh*.