Anyone use Phentermine and have it not help?

Options
My doctor prescribed me Phentermine a while back. I had to stop taking it when I had surgery in June and I just recently started back on it last week. Aside from giving me a little boost in energy, it doesn't seem to help curb my appetite at all. Has anyone else had a similar issue with it?

It's just frustrating. I don't intend on being on it for a long time. I just wanted it to help me get a "head start" on the weight loss and help me adjust to eating fewer calories and different foods. Well, so far, it's not doing that.

What have been your experiences with it?

Replies

• SuziC66
    Options
    My husband had it prescribed from Medi Weight loss, it did't curb his appetite either. Did give him energy though, he stopped taking it after like 3 days.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've had no personal experiences with it, but I would urge you to consider not using it because of associated health risks.
  • pattymartin2010
    Options
    bump
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I took it for 1 month and lost 24lbs, I found that it helped at first but over time it stopped helping I was always very hungry towards 5pm! I've been off it for 3 weeks due to surgery, but plan on going back on it. I do know that I ate ALOT less well on it even though it didn't seem like it worked.
  • bbrwneyes
    bbrwneyes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tried it several years ago from a weight loss Dr who gave me my money back cause I lost no weight, LoL! I've tried other pills before for that quick fix and after I stopped taking them, I gained all the weight plus more back. I can honestly say, since I have been on MFP and have learned to make healthier food choices and exercise, the weight has been coming off and I'm sure it won't be coming back

Best wishes in finding what works for you but I would not suggest any form of pills :flowerforyou:
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My husband had it prescribed from Medi Weight loss, it did't curb his appetite either. Did give him energy though, he stopped taking it after like 3 days.

i got it prescribed from medi also... in general i stopped eating as much food & as my stomach was shrinking, i wasnt hungry as much. I dont think it was from the phentermine though cause for the first few weeks i was still hungry all the time.
  • camoNpearls
    Options
    I was on it about a year ago. It did help, but stopped taking it after 3 months. I tried to get back on it this year, but they do say that your body will fight it off the second time around. Also if you take it more than 3 months, the outcome is a slower process and may have you gain weight. This may be why it is only giving you the energy, but at least it gives you that. I never really had it curve my appetite much either but I don't each much to begin with to notice that it wasn't doing it.
  • AmesLee78
    Options
    I've had no personal experiences with it, but I would urge you to consider not using it because of associated health risks.

I appreciate the concern. Aside from being obese I am healthy. All of my labs come back negative/normal and I am being closely monitored by my doctor.
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I agree, I read it causes nerve damage
  • MissTanya77
    Options
    I took it about 2 yrs ago and it worked for about 2 weeks. My doctor said your body can develop at tolerance to it very easily. It also gave me horrible dry mouth and constipation.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I took it and it doesn't work right away it took me almost a week and a half to feel the effects, then it worked way to well. I didn't want to eat at all. I am still on a small small dose of it and going on month 2.
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take it myself. The doctor increased the dosage on mine and I dropped 30 pounds... stayed at that weight for 2 years and he took it away. I had to beg him to give it back when the numbers started going back up. I don't think it suppresses my appetite so much as it keeps me going.

You know what... now that I think about it. When the weight started coming off I didn't want to eat as much. I can't eat a full sandwich anymore.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My doctor perscribed this and I lost 20 pounds in a couple months, but...when I stopped taking it....up those 20 plus some!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I took it about 2 yrs ago and it worked for about 2 weeks. My doctor said your body can develop at tolerance to it very easily. It also gave me horrible dry mouth and constipation.

My doctor stated the same issue, said if I noticed it wasnt working, stop taking it a few days, then again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you want a decent appetite suppressant, try glucomannan. It's a fiber supplement that helps create satiety and is not expensive.
  • Ck228
    Ck228 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also tried it. Did nothing for me except give me the shakes and made me start grinding my teeth. I now have a permanate loose tooth.
  • AmesLee78
    Options

My doctor stated the same issue, said if I noticed it wasnt working, stop taking it a few days, then again.

I don't usually take it on weekends, because I don't get up early enough to take it. If I take it too late in the day then I can't sleep at night. During the week, I'm up at 6:45 to get the kids up and to school so I can easily take it no problem. Even after not taking it for 2 or 3 days, it doesn't seem to be helping much. I only have a few pills left and then I'll make a follow up to see my doc and see where we're going to go from there.....
  • terrab24
    Options
    I used to take it. I went from 175 to 157 in about a month and a half. I stopped because I ended up in the hospital with kidney stones (I wasn't drinking water because I wasn't hungry, plus Im not a big drinker anyway). The 2nd time i started taking it I could tell a difference. It wasn't helping my appetite at all. I've since gained all the weight back haha BUT if you use this drug to help you train your body with the right portion sizes and the right foods then you could keep it off! Good luck!
  • dennissara
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and loved it - once I got past the first day or so where I felt like my motor was in overdrive. I lost almost 30 pounds. My doc took it away when my weight loss slowed (which she said was normal) and I gained it all back +++
  • LKFISHER
    Options
    i was one phentermine i went to pounds away medical weight loss center started feb2010 and by end of june 2010 i had lost 70lbs did awesome on it no problems at all i went off it thought i could finish my last 30 on my own i was wrong its been1 yr and i still struggle to get it off really considering going back for a few more months to reach my goal and i exercised 5 days a week also while taking it and still do but have no clue why i cant get the rest off good luck to u.