Replacing FitBit and Getting My Motivation Back! Advice Needed

Since coming out of the pandemic, I've wanted to get back into basic daily fitness walks and begin swimming/using the gym on occasion. I'd love to begin hitting step goals again and tracking basic exercise through a wearable device, as I found it very motivating when I first bought a FitBit a few years ago. My Charge 3 isn't working out and I am looking for opinions on quality FitBit alternatives-- HUGE bonus if they are MyFitnessPal compatible.

I think the biggest thing putting me off is the customer service/decreased quality in the app ever since Premium was introduced. After my Charge 2 stopped working due to no fault of my own and the disappointing response I got from customer service, I was going to switch brands but I was gifted with the Charge 3 on my birthday. Within a year, I found steps were being recorded inaccurately, I got dead pixels that now make step count impossible to read, have consistent app crashes, glitches with the watch face randomly staying black for days at a time, constant syncing errors, and other quality-of-life issues that have put me off using it regularly. Plus when the app does work for me, all the features I loved to use (challenges, solo walking adventures) are buried under Premium features that I am not interested in.

What are good quality FitBit alternatives that you have used? I am looking for something that:
  • Accurately records steps, heart rate, sleep
  • Is preferably waterproof (benefit, not requirement)
  • Has a clear time/date display that also shows step count
  • Has a reliable app with good connectivity and customer support
  • Is reasonably priced
  • Has customizable straps and can look professional when needed
I am not picky but I will not use certain brands like Huawei or Amazon, as they are notorious for data concerns (yes I am aware most are selling data but some companies are worse than others and I currently live in the UK where it is more strict).

I do not use messaging or music features and am not interested in in-depth fitness analytics. I did like how FitBit had a MyFitnessPal-esque food tracker but this is not essential, especially if the MyFitnessPal app is compatible for syncing. Motivation to move was a huge part of what I loved about FitBit but it is hard to stay motivated when the product isn't consistently working and paid subscriptions are pushed and promoted over quality service.

Replies

• plugers
    plugers Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have a Mi band 5. I like it, but have no idea about data concerns. I do have to adjust distance after treadmill runs, it lets you after you finish the run, but I doubt it would know my stride, just steps.

Mi band 5 syncs to Google Fit, which syncs to MFP. I've only had it a couple weeks, but works great.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I had 3 differnt fitbits bite the dust so I went to an apple watch. It does everything fitbit does plus a ton more. I really like it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Plus when the app does work for me, all the features I loved to use (challenges, solo walking adventures) are buried under Premium features that I am not interested in.

TL/dr: In all... if I were to move away from Fitbit I would probably head to Garmin.

This confuses me. I'm on android. The app has been more or less the same since the early days of premium. I get a screen where they say something or try to sell premium. I x out of it. My challenges are exactly where they used to be?!?! Starting a new one with new people requires slightly more menu flipping than before but not something egregious. I guess the operative word being to me.

I've killed charge 2s (lots). I've killed one charge 3... the second one is still kicking with a small display issue clearly caused by banging on hard surfaces. The charge 2's were 100% quality control issues. The Charge 3s (in my case and with both) not so much; which decides me a bit on how much I'm willing to inve$t in other device$ :lol:

Apple, as far as I am aware syncs; but not perfectly/directly with MFP. If you're an iphone user and invested in the ecosystem it probably makes sense.

Garmin has multiple models and as far as I know sync works well enough (for normal values of well) when it comes to MFP.

Polar has been a bit quiet these past few years... at least they haven't been surfacing in my consciousness. And I haven't been too keen on Samsung and the walls they're trying to build (mainly ticked off because I can't easily unload their apps from my phone and thus end up with two versions of many apps: the forked Samsung one I can't get rid off and the main android one.

In all... if I were to move away from Fitbit I would probably head to Garmin.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I like my Garmin. I don't synch it to MFP (long story, reasons won't apply to others), but I see far more complaints here about the Fitbit synch than the Garmin synch, and it seems like there are quite a few other Garmin users. That's only an impression, though, since I don't

Keep in mind that it takes 2 parties to make the device-to-MFP synch work: The device manufacturer and MFP. The problems' genesis can be either one, or even their cooperation. From what I understand, the issues with Apple are entirely Apple's (they don't follow the data exchange spec correctly, I've heard), not MFP's. Not sure about Fitbit.
  • TooMuchOatmeal
    TooMuchOatmeal Posts: 15 Member
    I am not an iphone user and wouldn't be interested in something as complex as an Apple watch. The problem is, for me at least, those devices are very focused on what I would consider special feature: text messages, music control, NFC payments, etc. I just want something that ill accurately count my steps, monitor my heart rate, and have an easy display for date/time.

PAV8888: I was using FitBit before Premium and the challenges were one of the first things you could see from the main screen on the app. Now when I turn it on, I have to click out of several unwanted pop-ups trying to get me use Premium or give me annoying tips I didn't ask for and I have to click through several menus to find the Workweek Hustle. Premium exclusive challenges display first and the solo walking adventures have just disappeared, like the NYC marathon walk. It is just irritating and not user friendly. Everyone at work who used to regularly do the challenges stopped doing them after the Premium upgrade because they couldn't see them easily any more.

Garmin sounds like a solid option but I must admit that I am put off by the neon straps that can't be changed out. I wear my device daily and in all settings, so a neon green rubber strap at work stands out unprofessionally. I guess a solid black would be better but the option to simply change straps would be nice.

Quality from FitBit went downhill after the Charge 2 in my opinion and I would like something more durable.
  • PAV8888
    Well I personally considered some Garmins including some models I could get on points, and after looking at the price vs capability (including propensity to break and/or be broken) package) I almost pulled the trigger on a Charge 4... before deciding to continue going with the still (mostly) functioning for me (in spite of some dead rows of pixels) charge 3 I've been using.

If you really want to check out DC rainmakers wearable guide and winter buying guide as he is an extensive reviewer of garmin and other tracker products
  • PAV8888
    Discover
    Challenge and adventures
    Favorites

Once you've gone through and selected the ones you want as favorites from the three sub menus of challenges and adventures excluding the one labeled premium

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    I’ve used various Garmin watches with Garmin Connect linked to MFP since 2014 I guess. I don’t have any issues, I sync steps, running , cycling and via Zwift. I would be lost without my Garmin.