Whats the best alcoholic drink to have ??????

Options
Fatboyps5
Fatboyps5 Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2021 in Recipes
At the moment I've started doing, plain gin with soda water with a squeeze of lemon or lime, but it isn't the nicest, any suggestions will help, I drink once a week on a Friday when I finish work πŸ’―πŸ‘πŸ»p.s picture isn't the plain gin I just like the picture lmao πŸ˜… 🀣🀣onuc5ajp04g2.jpg
Β«1

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    One drink of anything you want as long as you account for the calories. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fatboyps5
    Fatboyps5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I used to do abit of kicking boxing with Spencer Campbell, Ali campbells nephew and bodyguard for UB40 at k star gym Birmingham long time ago tho πŸ‘ŠπŸ»
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't take alcohol but eager to know that what health benefits it offers as you are taking advice on good drinks?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What does "best" mean to you?
    If low calories then a spirit of your choice with a zero calorie mixer of your choice is a decent option.

My best today will be sharing a bottle of English sparking wine by Chapel Down, premium Champagne quality at a lower price.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    To quote a famous supreme court justice: I like beer. Really good beer. Ideally a local microbrew of some kind.

But, I limit it pretty fiercely and the one ingredient that I keep the most tabs on is the alcohol itself. The trend in the US toward high-alcohol ales is a problem for me. They often have great flavor and I really enjoy them, but alcohol is highly caloric, habit forming, toxic in large quantity, lowers inhibition to eating junk food (for me), and often lowers inhibition to drinking more alcohol! The best approach (which is not generally possible in the US, where microbrews generally come in 4 packs) would be for me to buy just one 16 oz can of an excellent microbrew for an evening where I want to drink a beer. Oh, and make sure I lock up the chocolate cookies.

BTW. I also love chocolate cookies. Actually, they go really well with a stiff microbrew. Mmmm...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

BTW. I also love chocolate cookies. Actually, they go really well with a stiff microbrew. Mmmm...

I see your chocolate cookie/stout combo and raise you a nice soft oatmeal raisin cookie with an islay single malt (preferably Lagavulin).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't drink that much anymore, but I like a good Moscow Mule with a zero sugar ginger beer...I always use Reed's Extra Ginger. I make them virgin now more often than not.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I primarily drink wine, but for a cocktail I'll opt for flavored/infused vodkas and club soda. I also make knockoff mojitos using Sprite Zero instead of soda + simple syrup + lime. If I'm going to have beer, I try to go for something between 4 and 5% - I can't handle the strong ones anymore.

If you're not keen on your gin drink, try a different gin? There's a million out there and I hate most of them because it's like licking a Christmas tree, but I absolutely love Gin Mare. Gin Mare, soda, a dash of orange bitters, and a rosemary sprig makes for a pretty good drink.

If you only care about calories, this chart gives you a good idea of how things scale. Hard liquor and wine will increase in calorie count based on ABV %. Beer tends to have a base calorie amount from carbs, then scales with ABV %. Mixed drinks are all over the place because of mixers and how much alcohol is used.

calories-in-alcohol-chart.jpg
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to have one drink:

<Insert picture of a giant glass of wine>

Moral: Portion control is quite important for booze.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you consider best.

I've tried seltzers and I just can't stand the taste of them. I felt guilty for a long time for enjoying drinks like wine, or my beer (Sea Quench Ale by Dogfish Head), so instead, I just make sure I work hard to fit the calories into my meals. My best is balance.
  • dianawegner888
    dianawegner888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using the Light Fever Tree tonic and measuring the gin to make sure the calories are counted correctly. Light Fever Tree Tonic is only 30 cals and tastes much better than soda. The down side is cost as it's more expensive than normal tonic. And it doesn't have sucralose or other horrible sweeteners that are a problem for me.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Drink of choice (for calories/buzz quotient) is a 5 oz glass of red wine (any red wine). - 120 - 125 cal.

I also will sometimes have a low calorie can of soda (usually Diet Coke) with 1 to 1.5 oz of rum or bourbon. - 90 - 100 cal.

When I feel dangerous (or know I have the calorie allotment for it and we're out someplace: an old fashioned). - 150 to 200 cal (depending on who makes it, if there's a cherry included, etc.)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    A single malt over a single cube
  • Agion3
    Agion3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me: bourbon, neat.
  • deborahupton10
    deborahupton10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like any gin with tesco Low Calorie Tonic Water With lemon about 8 cals for 250 mil of tonic
    Sometimes a red wine but always make sure I have some cals left to have one
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Kentucky Mull is my choice. Since I don’t like low cal ginger beer, I cut some calories by topping with tonic water.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Assuming your after work drinks are at the pub, try different gins or having slimline tonic instead of soda. If none appeal, try vodka and a slimline tonic or whisky with diet coke or white rum with diet coke. Alternatively, try some of the zero-alcohol / light beers on offer. In a glass it'll look like any other beer but will have fewer calories. I'm not a beer drinker, but friends who have tried them are impressed. Personally, when I know I'm going out, I save up some calories in anticipation of 2-3 glasses of wine.

Plan ahead and, when you have 5 mins to spare, plug different options into MFP to see how they compare.
  • vburke003
    vburke003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to do vanilla vodka with diet Dr Pepper. But I stopped drinking soda
  • anna_nintey3
    anna_nintey3 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bourbon and Coke
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Pour flavored seltzer water over fresh fruit and muddle it a bit, add some flavored vodka. Vodka is pretty much the only thing I can drink right now, but this also happens to be relatively low calorie