Hamstring Strain Rehab

Options
Apparently, I strained my left hamstring sometime last week, although I'm not exactly sure HOW it happened, I think during a single leg deadlift. This is not my first time dealing with a hammie strain, as I had one in my right one about 8 months ago from overstretching.

I definitely feel it when I bend over, so obviously deadlifts and even squats are causing some pain depending on depth/ROM. I know "if it hurts don't do it," but I also know I need to rehab it.

Should I just stick to exercises for the next few weeks that don't have a lot of ROM, like single-leg bridges, hip thrusts and 45-degree hypers? Or, should I continue with DL's and squats, but with reduced ROM and/or weight? Any other rehab tips? My hammies are actually quite flexible, but may have been tighter due to the previous workouts.

I don't think I need to go to a PT or rather, I don't WANT to because I finished up PT a few months ago for my shoulder.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I would train normally with what you can do with appropriate intensity where you have some challenge but you feel comfortable. So if you notice sharp pain creeping in at a certain intensity, work slightly lower.

This might take a bit more warm up. So with squats you might do air squats, and extra set or two of lower intensities and build up to reasonable working set(s) for your abilities.

Start with a list simular to this and work your way down if one isn't possible.

1. Full ROM
    2. Lower intensity
    3. Change stance/grip
    4. Decrease ROM
    5. Exercise selection with closest to least specificity to the lift.

The goal would be to eventually have full ROM and progress.

I would emphasize proper load management and utilizing a means to monitor the stimulus dosed. RPE is a great way to regulate the exertion here.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would train normally with what you can do with appropriate intensity where you have some challenge but you feel comfortable. So if you notice sharp pain creeping in at a certain intensity, work slightly lower.

This might take a bit more warm up. So with squats you might do air squats, and extra set or two of lower intensities and build up to reasonable working set(s) for your abilities.

1. Full ROM
    2. Lower intensity
    3. Change stance/grip
    4. Decrease ROM

I would emphasize proper load management and utilizing a means to monitor the stimulus dosed. RPE is a great way to regulate the exertion here.

Thank you!
  • Chieflrg
    Options

1. Full ROM
    2. Lower intensity
    3. Change stance/grip
    4. Decrease ROM

Thank you!

Your welcome. Good luck and report back how things are going 😊
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

1. Full ROM
    2. Lower intensity
    3. Change stance/grip
    4. Decrease ROM

Thank you!

I had this list pulled out when I went to the gym :) . Turns out my strain was worse than I thought. I had to go all the way to step 4 for my RDL's, and had to set my ego aside and do bodyweight ones (even though I was up to 30 lbs) and focus on mind-muscle connection. Lowered the weight for cable kickbacks and was surprised that those were aggravating it.
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2021
    Options

1. Full ROM
    2. Lower intensity
    3. Change stance/grip
    4. Decrease ROM

Thank you!

I had this list pulled out when I went to the gym :) . Turns out my strain was worse than I thought. I had to go all the way to step 4 for my RDL's, and had to set my ego aside and do bodyweight ones (even though I was up to 30 lbs) and focus on mind-muscle connection. Lowered the weight for cable kickbacks and was surprised that those were aggravating it.

Yep. Just find what you can perform with the goal of returning to main lift(s).

Once you have your mind working with self efficacy and you recognize that progress of rehab can be many things.

Don't force anything but if the movement, load, volume is there...we take what is beneficial towards our goal.

Sometimes squats are a bit easier to find different rungs. Remember ROM adjustments and others.

Squat specificity:
    Belted squats
    Unbelted squats
    Low bar squat
    High bar squat
    SSB squat
    Hip belt squat
    Pin Squat
    Tempo squat
    Hatfield squat
    Front squat
    Split squat
    Step up
    Leg press

I don't know if I mentioned previously but monitoring your load management is also very useful.

As you found out body weight might be ypur starting point or needed extra warm up. Perfectly reasonable.

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eccentric work is one of the best ways to prevent a hamstring strain. Once you’re back to healthy, it wouldn’t hurt to focus on some eccentric training regularly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Don't be like me and overdue foam rolling on the injured hamstring - that just made things MUCH worse :(