Good Afternoon from Washington State

Options
Today is day #1 !!!

Although I wake up most days and think to myself, ok, I am going to get it together TODAY, I am feeling a bit more motivated than other days to really make today be the beginning of change for me. I am about 15 pounds away from "the" weight that I tend to feel my best at. I am dedicated to fitness and make it a priority at least 6 days a week - however, the eating side of the puzzle is much harder for me to master. One would think that an almost 53 year old could get it figured out once and for all, but I am human and temptations are everywhere!!

I stumbled on this site by accident - how cool is it to have all of this at our fingertips??? I am hoping that by journaling what I am eating it will help me stay on track - hard to ignore those calories that I take in from mindless snacking....

Which brings me to question....how do you handle the snack attack around 3:30 - 4:00???? Any tips you might have would be appreciated!!

Enjoy the day!

Replies

• hopebuck
    Options
    Hi!!!! where are you in WA? I'm in Olympia :)
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lori,

I changed my eating habits a little over 3 months ago and things have been great. The biggest help for me was to get rid of the 3 meals a day mentality. I went into the settings and changed my meal names to give me 6 meals, breakfast 1, breakfast 2, etc. I eat 200-300 calories per meal.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome from Washington State way up north!
  • loriyak
    loriyak Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am in Yakima:smile:
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Lori,

I changed my eating habits a little over 3 months ago and things have been great. The biggest help for me was to get rid of the 3 meals a day mentality. I went into the settings and changed my meal names to give me 6 meals, breakfast 1, breakfast 2, etc. I eat 200-300 calories per meal.

ditto! I changed it so that I've got breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, after dinner treat! Just learn to eat smaller more often. And to beat the 3pm slump I have an afternoon snack that has PROTEIN in it, very important. I'm partial to protein shakes (the pre-packaged box shakes) for am afternoon snack, easy quick and healthy! The atkins brand is my favorite (which I've only seen at safeway.... but I'm sure there around in other stores) Good luck with your journey!!!
  • agrace98038
    Options
    Hi, just started at the end of August. Living in the Seattle area!
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! I am in Washington as well. I live in Kenmore! You will love this site and all the people you will meet on here!
  • ricanstace
    Options
    Welcome, I'm also from Yakima area. I live in Cowiche.
  • loriyak
    Options
    Welcome, I'm also from Yakima area. I live in Cowiche.

Thank you! And howdy neighbor!
  • loriyak
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! I am in Washington as well. I live in Kenmore! You will love this site and all the people you will meet on here!

I am finding this entire experience rather addictive :smile: Better spending time here than in the kitchen!
  • loriyak
    Options
    Lori,

ditto! I changed it so that I've got breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, after dinner treat! Just learn to eat smaller more often. And to beat the 3pm slump I have an afternoon snack that has PROTEIN in it, very important. I'm partial to protein shakes (the pre-packaged box shakes) for am afternoon snack, easy quick and healthy! The atkins brand is my favorite (which I've only seen at safeway.... but I'm sure there around in other stores) Good luck with your journey!!!

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I sometimes find myself eating more than I should when I eat more frequently, but I think that protein may be the key for me!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site! I'm from Yakima too!

My biggest tip would just be to know yourself...if there are certain times of the day where you know you will need a snack save a couple hundred calories just for that time and eat something! That really helped me get through wanting a late night snack. Now that I'm further along in my journey I can get by with just a cup of tea, but it was a mindset for me that i had to budget in. Good luck!
  • trishl2011
    trishl2011 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome, I'm from the yakima valley, feel free to add me:smile:
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I have gotten a couple people to join with me. I am on a low carb diet and was doing great at first but am starting to burn out and need new ideas for meals. I have tried cauliflower rice and first time it was great worked perfect the second time I tried I gagged.
    I eat lots of proteins and TONS of fresh veggies but we are out of the fresh veggie season. Most of what is fresh now is off my list to eat.
    So any ideas would be appreciated.
    I live in Ephrata..