Couch to 5K

Options
Hey guys! Starting the Couch to 5K program today...any advice? Let me know how it has worked for you. Thanks!

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Don't gotoo fast. Just jog.
  • sweetness48
    Options
    I did it last summer. It's an amazing program...I couldn't run for 30 seconds without thinking I was going to keel over and pass out. Now I can run 10K! Best advice would be to listen to your body. If you have to repeat a week, do it! I did! Good luck! You've got this!
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    I had trouble taking it from the treadmill to the street, so my suggestion would be if you're doing a street race, just start on the street.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    thanks, I live in FL so hoping to be able to keep it to the street most of the time.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    Good luck to you. I did W4D1 last night. I never imagined I would start running at age 40 or that I would like it.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi, started last week and I love it! As everyone says, don't go fast, that will come with time :-) I'm re-doing week one as work mates wanted to do it at lunch, and all bar one enjoyed it, the one who didn't is trying again Thursday. A great sense of achievement to be had! If you have an ipod/iphone, download one of the Couch to 5k podcasts, they have dubious music but tell you when to walk and jog - and my first one was a bit of a mess as I was on busy roads to cross with traffic lights, going somewhere quieter while you get into it would be much easier! Good luck, you'll be fine :-)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already been fitted for running shoes, go ahead and do so!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi, started last week and I love it! As everyone says, don't go fast, that will come with time :-) I'm re-doing week one as work mates wanted to do it at lunch, and all bar one enjoyed it, the one who didn't is trying again Thursday. A great sense of achievement to be had! If you have an ipod/iphone, download one of the Couch to 5k podcasts, they have dubious music but tell you when to walk and jog - and my first one was a bit of a mess as I was on busy roads to cross with traffic lights, going somewhere quieter while you get into it would be much easier! Good luck, you'll be fine :-)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I did it last fall. I couldn't run a block before doing the program and now have a 1/2 marathon next month!

Take it slow, repeat days if necessary.

Also, if you haven't done so, maybe get fitted for running shoes. That saved me a lot of knee pain. I thought I had good running shoes but the knees started to hurt and that made a world of difference.

Download the app if you haven't, it is great to just change from walk to run by listening to the app!
  • tigereyz30
    Options
    We also started the couch to 5K but then I fell on my knee so had to put it on hold for a bit. Our goal is a 5K in the begining of December. We also live in FL. The rain puts a crimp in things as well. Good luck! Hope to be back in my running shoes soon.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I had trouble taking it from the treadmill to the street, so my suggestion would be if you're doing a street race, just start on the street.

This. If you plan to run a 5k, do your runs outdoor. I got to week 4 indoors and decided to go outdoors and I couldn't do it. It was so much harder than running on a treadmill or eliptical. So I restarted the program with all my runs outdoors. It does work though. Repeat weeks as you need to. I repeated one week because I couldn't get through the entire run interval. Since I finished the program in May of this year I've run 3 5ks and will do another one next month. Now I'm training for a 10k.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I loved the program and have met many people that have. Good luck!
  • aburley
    aburley Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it. I did it earlier this year. I wish I would have kept up my 30 minutes afterwards. I focused more on getting to 30 mins non stop; versus being able to do a 5k at the end. I will say, about halfway or past that point through the program. I did jog a 5k nonstop!!! Just not in 30 mins :) But I was super proud to jog at my pace the entire way!! Hills and all! :) Stick with the program and you'll come out stronger!
  • MsMuniz
    Options

I dowloaded a podcast, hopefully the music is not too bad. I saw if you have an iPhone or iTouch there is an app that you can put your own music in...but I just have an old iPod :(
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now (end of week 1) - I was using a free Android app but just upgraded to the regular 'ol C25K one today so I'll try it out on the next segment. Either way, I couldn't imagine doing it without some sort of automated timer (I also use it along with CardioTrainer to log distance).
  • MsMuniz
    Options
    If you haven't already been fitted for running shoes, go ahead and do so!

Hadn't thought about that, will do, thanks!
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i did W1D1 twice but struggled with running for 60 seconds as i am very unfit. Sort of dropped of doing it so must have another go.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I started on Saturday and am doing W1D2 today after work! I am very excited to go jogging tonight and to continue on with the program until I can reach one of my goals of being a runner! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

This. If you plan to run a 5k, do your runs outdoor. I got to week 4 indoors and decided to go outdoors and I couldn't do it. It was so much harder than running on a treadmill or eliptical. So I restarted the program with all my runs outdoors. I

Totally agree. I can do 5k already indoors on machines. There's no way I could do it on the road yet. It's a completely different experience.
  • lori8431
    Options
    How do you find the Couch to 5 k?? thaat is my next challenge..I am currently doing Ripped in 30(oh my gosh!)...I am doing this on top of my jazzercise and zuumba also.