Damn you, weather! Damn you Garmin

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Well done @SuzanneC1l9zz and @YellowD0gs

for me, I'll try to swim 1000m tomorrow. I've not swam this distance (or any distance apart from padding and snorkeling) since 2015. Oh, and I can't crawl, thus it'll be breaststroke. I have exactly 60 minutes for it due to the pool giving 1h slots for lap swimming. Sounds like fun :D
  • yirara
    Got my 1000m pool swim. Phew, that was hard... I've not swam since 2015 and went straight to fast swimming speed. 25m later I thought: right, this is not going well! First 250m I realized I totally lost my breast stroke technique. Kind of found it back for the last 250m, but I wasn't super fast. 25 minutes total. Worst still: The pool was too full and the pool guard decided to let people swim rounds across 2 and some lanes, which is *kitten* if you want to swim measured and timed laps. so i did my laps in the middle of the round but had to stop every now and then as people were crossing at the ends. Ugh! Interesting: never realized my HR would go so high when swimming.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Put in a few more laps today, and a funny thing happened as I was doing some of the later laps! A couple of L-O-O-OONG separated brain cells reunited and said "Hey, you big dummy! You can do a lot better breathing every 4 strokes than you can with that flailing motion you're doing now!" And my last couple of laps went soooo nicely!
  • YellowD0gs
    GOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!! :sunglasses: Oh, and got the Toasty goal for doing it when it was over 100F. A double!
  • yirara
    edited June 2021
    Well done @YellowD0gs!

Today I worked on the 40km cycle ride... by cycling 80km :D Bagged it.
    I won't get the 200km cycle in a month badge as I'm focussing on running, and I won't get the 20k feet up cycle badge either as it's just too flat here. I got 300m elevation gain on this ride today, and that was nearly as hilly as it gets. Ho hum...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Great job, both of you! I'm just stuck waiting until next month 😔
  • yirara
    Things a looking nice! I'm only 12km from the 80km running/month badge now. I'll go on vacating on Sunday, but still enough time left to get the remaining few km in three or less runs :) 300k step month is still on schedule as well, though things look a bit less good. I'm only ahead by 4500 steps. Though it's only morning now and I will certainly get 10k in today.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    July challenges are posted. Without icons though, at least on my app, which is kind of weird. I've signed up for the 115,000 steps in 14 days and the strength training one.
  • YellowD0gs
    July challenges are posted. Without icons though, at least on my app, which is kind of weird. I've signed up for the 115,000 steps in 14 days and the strength training one.

The Yoga challenge is called "July Warrior"?? :confused:
  • yirara
    YellowD0gs wrote: »

The Yoga challenge is called "July Warrior"?? :confused:

Yeah, that's an odd one! No idea what the point is. At least it's got a yoga symbol. Maybe they couldn't decide between strength and yoga.

Btw, I'm still grinning that I have a thread on MFP with cursing in the title. I might just be a bit juvenile at times :D
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    It has a symbol for you? All my phone is displaying is dark grey hexagons 🤷‍♀️
  • yirara
    Argh, 5km to the 50mile in a month running badge. And I can't run because I have a thorough throat infection. I also want to go on vacation this coming Sunday. No, it's not covid, tested negative as expected. But.. ugh.
  • YellowD0gs
    You know...Lord willing and the creek don't rise...I might end this month at 300,001 steps! Dodgy ankle and all!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Way to go! Meanwhile my steps are temporarily way down due to the weather, but it won't last forever.
  • yirara
    Step-wise I'm not sure if I'll manage the 300k. I'm currently at 283600, but it's unlikely I'll walk enough tomorrow. I might get just about 10k the day after. Currently on vacation, and mainly sightseeing by car. As in, there are no opportunities for longer walks. Lots of short ones though, thus maybe it's enough.
  • YellowD0gs
    Ahhhh... pretty pixels!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Still hiding indoors and moving as little as possible. I'm under that record-breaking heat dome in western North America and we don't have air conditioning. And poor insulation (house built in 1912, not sure it's ever been updated). So I'm staying out of the sun, and when it's still 29 degrees in here at 5 AM I am NOT working out!

It's supposed to break in a few more days.
  • yirara
    Yes, I made the 300k steps. So far I walked 15k steps today, and I still need to return to my hotel.
  • YellowD0gs
    edited July 2021
    I need a call from the Judges. Garmin's offered a 4 mile hike challenge for July. I'm going on an 8-day canoe trip in the Boundary Waters later this month. While most of our travel will be via canoe over water, there are those pesky portages along the way. Does hauling a canoe or gear on your shoulders over a whatever type of terrain is there portage count as a "hike"?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    I am definitely not making it to 115k steps by Wednesday! The trails where I walk have no shade and the temperature's been in the high 20s to mid 30s, so that's a no from me.