Stuck at same weight for 11 days. Time for a change?

So I'm 5"7 male 119.1kg currently but started at 136kg back in mid-April. Problem is I've been at 119-119.2 for 11 straight days. I tried altering my calorie intake by 100-150 calories but it's all for nothing. My TDEE is around 2,800 Kcal and I'm consuming 1600 Kcal or less 99% of the days and even 1300 Kcal 1% of the days, that's why I lose a whopping 17kg in 2 months.

Now after almost 12 days of being stuck at same weight, I'd do anything to make the scale move a bit, even if it's up (no joke). So I did some research and came upon Leptin in my search for answers. Should I go on a cheat day of about 3,200 Kcal to reset my Leptin levels again so maybe I see change in weight?

Replies

  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    7bbb8lyqng6j.jpg
  • Branc93
    Branc93 Posts: 14 Member
    Can I be honest? Be happy. You didn't gain any weight back. I don't know much about diets and weight loss but my guess would be your body is adjusting to less food and lesser calories.

    Thank you :smile: It's true what you said about not gaining weight and I'm grateful for it. A little update, last Saturday I consumed 2,700 Kcal (binge day) and Sunday morning when I weighed myself I looked at the scale and I was 118.8kg. Yesterday and today no change.

    I don't know what's really happening, I mean I ate 2,700 kcal and I went down instead of up, but I'm so grateful for it haha
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,937 Member
    It happens to a lot of people. If the body is stressed by an aggressive calorie deficit, having a high calorie day can cause a loss of water weight.
    Hence my suggestion above to take a maintenance break of a week.

    Now, about that binge day. What do you call a binge day?
    - a day of high calorie intake? If so, eating at maintenance isn't really a high intake. (I wouldn't call this a binge, even if you ate above maintenance)
    - a day where you lost control of your food intake? If so, that is a classic warning sign that you ate not eating enough and stressing out your body.
  • Branc93
    Branc93 Posts: 14 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It happens to a lot of people. If the body is stressed by an aggressive calorie deficit, having a high calorie day can cause a loss of water weight.
    Hence my suggestion above to take a maintenance break of a week.

    Now, about that binge day. What do you call a binge day?
    - a day of high calorie intake? If so, eating at maintenance isn't really a high intake. (I wouldn't call this a binge, even if you ate above maintenance)
    - a day where you lost control of your food intake? If so, that is a classic warning sign that you ate not eating enough and stressing out your body.

    Hi thanks for your replies, I find them very useful ^.^

    I'm considering eating at 2,700/maintenance for a week but I'm just too afraid to do it I don't know why.. You think eating around 2,000 instead of 2,700 might help me? It's still 700 calories deficit but at least it's not 1000+. Maybe my body won't be as stressed by a 700 calorie deficit...? (Yes I'm thinking my body is stressed as well, and it might be holding on to water weight and fat I guess).

    About the binge day I think a bit of both options you gave me.

    1) It felt like a very high calorie intake for me, as I'm used to around 1500, adding 1200 to my day felt like I was eating LOTS of food. I mean I consumed a 350 cal magnum ice cream, 4 extra strips of bacon, 4 extra slices of ham, drank about 300ml whole milk, ate a whole pizza instead of the usual half, etc etc I can't believe I'm supposed to eat that many food to support/maintain my weight! At one point I felt I couldn't move hehe

    2) I lost a bit control yes especially around lunch/noon.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 5,937 Member
    edited July 2021
    I think this thread should interest you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

    If switching straight to maintenance for a week scares you, sure, you can decrease your calorie deficit to 700 calories a day. A deficit of 700 per day is what I'd recommend for weight loss though, not a diet break :wink:

    Another thing I'd like to point out/ask about is your TDEE. Are you basing this on a calculator? If so, these are based on statistical averages and you may or may not be average. (Also, did you recalculate to TDEE to your current lower bodyweight?)
    These calculators are a great starting point, but it can be useful to calculate your actual TDEE based on your weight loss results:
    - add up your calorie intake for the past 4 weeks
    - add to that 7700 calories per kg of weight you lost in those 4 weeks (ideally this is based on your weight trend, to filter out daily fluctuations)
    - divide by 28
    -> that's your average daily TDEE for the past month
    Branc93 wrote: »
    (Yes I'm thinking my body is stressed as well, and it might be holding on to water weight and fat I guess).

    Just the water though :wink: What can also happen with a large deficit is that you start to be less active without realising it (less movement throughout the day, less fidgeting,...) and your body looks for ways to slow down your metabolism (slowing down hair growth, nail growth,...) which can lower your TDEE a bit.


    To give you some context for the advice I'm giving: I went from 94.2kg to 65kg in nearly two years, starting at a 400kcal deficit on average, tapering down to currently a 100kcal deficit on average. I'm the embodiment of slow and steady wins the race :mrgreen: At that kind of rate, it's even harder to filter out your weight trend from daily fluctuations, but I've learned to trust the process even if the scale doesn't always reflect my true weight/fat loss.
  • Branc93
    Branc93 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2021
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I think this thread should interest you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

    If switching straight to maintenance for a week scares you, sure, you can decrease your calorie deficit to 700 calories a day. A deficit of 700 per day is what I'd recommend for weight loss though, not a diet break :wink:

    Another thing I'd like to point out/ask about is your TDEE. Are you basing this on a calculator? If so, these are based on statistical averages and you may or may not be average. (Also, did you recalculate to TDEE to your current lower bodyweight?)
    These calculators are a great starting point, but it can be useful to calculate your actual TDEE based on your weight loss results:
    - add up your calorie intake for the past 4 weeks
    - add to that 7700 calories per kg of weight you lost in those 4 weeks (ideally this is based on your weight trend, to filter out daily fluctuations)
    - divide by 28
    -> that's your average daily TDEE for the past month
    Branc93 wrote: »
    (Yes I'm thinking my body is stressed as well, and it might be holding on to water weight and fat I guess).

    Just the water though :wink: What can also happen with a large deficit is that you start to be less active without realising it (less movement throughout the day, less fidgeting,...) and your body looks for ways to slow down your metabolism (slowing down hair growth, nail growth,...) which can lower your TDEE a bit.


    To give you some context for the advice I'm giving: I went from 94.2kg to 65kg in nearly two years, starting at a 400kcal deficit on average, tapering down to currently a 100kcal deficit on average. I'm the embodiment of slow and steady wins the race :mrgreen: At that kind of rate, it's even harder to filter out your weight trend from daily fluctuations, but I've learned to trust the process even if the scale doesn't always reflect my true weight/fat loss.

    I just did that calculation and it came to 2,908Kcal for my TDEE the past month. I based my TDEE on the Harris Benedict equation which came to 2760 Kcal/day if I remember correctly for the then weight of 119 (today I weighed again and I'm 118.6 now). I really had no idea I could calculate the TDEE the way you told me (I'm so bad at equations and maths hehe) so I thank you for that and I will be using that more frequently now ^.^

    It's true what you said as well about less activity during the day, I feel like doing nothing outside of work. It's like an apathy state sometimes.

    Wow you lost 30kg and with a 100-400 caloric deficit too! Congratulations I'm so happy to read that :smiley: