The "Protein Run"

Options
If I eat more protein and cut carbs (not sure why) and it takes 2-3 hours and I am running to the bathroom. All the time. Today is not the first time it happened. I should get frequent flyer miles. All seems to go through me very fast and I don't think it can be healthy.

It leaves me feeling tired and hungry. I didn't know what else to call it other than "Protein Run." Is it just me?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Yes.

Why is a multiple choice question I don't have the answer key for:

a-) My 'before' - ie diet before trying to get enough protein - had far less fiber (my pasta and breads weren't whole grain, etc) than my diet included when I started trying to eat better and my body had adjusted to low fiber and had to adapt back

b-) My gallbladder was trying to die. I mean it was and that can be a symptom, particularly combined with active weight loss (check in with a doctor) but I don't know that that was the actual causation.

c-) Some direct function of the protein choices I was choosing and being badly adapted to it (seriously 12-15 grams of protein was my average prior to mfp - i was obese AND malnourished)

d-) I had added artificial sweeteners and was initially using A LOT of them.

e-) All of the above

f-) None of the above.

But seriously if this continues, check in with a doctor. The gallbladder thing can get nasty.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    You don't say what your sources of protein are but if you have recently started supplementing with whey protein or have increased dairy sources like Greek yogurt, it could be lactose intolerance.
  • TheWaistBasket
    TheWaistBasket Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    You don't say what your sources of protein are but if you have recently started supplementing with whey protein or have increased dairy sources like Greek yogurt, it could be lactose intolerance.

More eggs, more meat, cheese snacks, burgers without buns, salads instead of potatoes.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

More eggs, more meat, cheese snacks, burgers without buns, salads instead of potatoes.

Well lactose doesn't account for it then! And cheese normally has the opposite effect....
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Some kinda of artificial sweeteners can do it. I discovered One Bar’s birthday cake bar and loved them. I was only eating one a day, but within a week, awful gastric issues.

Someone here suggested the artificial sweetener thing and yup, it was the One Bars.

But I particularly noticed you mentioned salads. That’s heavy fiber.

This, too, shall….errrr….. pass as your body gets accustomed.