Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Weighing kids in school

Options
Fidgetbrain
Fidgetbrain Posts: 188 Member
What do you guys think about it, helpful in combatting obesity or just breeding insecurity in children?

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about it, helpful in combatting obesity or just breeding insecurity in children?

Sounds ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm sure most school boards have better things to spend their limited time and money resources on then weighing kids. What would even be the point? My experience is that public schools (in Canada at least) already overstep the school/home boundary and it is irrelevant and none of their business what my kid weighs.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Yup agree with you both, I was super insecure about my weight at school cause I was a foot taller than the other girls in my class and obvs weighed a lot more even though I was still healthy. You can see if a child is obese without focusing on numbers and IMO it just leads to comparison. Health, nutrition and PE are far more useful than just gathering data and telling kids/their parents that they’re fat

Same. Although I was a tall scrawny beanpole despite eating like the proverbial horse, because clearly I was expending all my calories attaining height rather than fat.

This brought back a memory of doing some kind of fitness testing in gym class, probably 7th or 8th grade. I wasn't a sporty kid or an active kid (I was super clumsy... still am) so I failed miserably, and publicly. I remember one of the tests was a chin-up and just hanging there, unable to lift myself a millimetre. It certainly didn't motivate me to become more active and I never took phys ed classes after they became elective. In fact, it took me almost 40 years to develop an interest in any kind of structured exercise, in part because I always felt I wouldn't do it "right".
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Weighing children should be done at the doctor's offices as part of their annual exams. Nobody at school needs to have that done. Teach nutrition at school? Fine, great. Teach sports/healthy exercise/fitness, wonderful. But what purpose does it serve to weigh in at school; the schools should already have access to a child's medical records don't they?

Let me add my thoughts about schools and physical fitness as well. :) How much benefit do children get in typical gym classes where most kids are standing around watching everybody else, or waiting their turn, etc.? Maybe they do it very differently these days. It'd be more useful if children moved during gym class. :/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Weighing children should be done at the doctor's offices as part of their annual exams. Nobody at school needs to have that done. Teach nutrition at school? Fine, great. Teach sports/healthy exercise/fitness, wonderful. But what purpose does it serve to weigh in at school; the schools should already have access to a child's medical records don't they?

Let me add my thoughts about schools and physical fitness as well. :) How much benefit do children get in typical gym classes where most kids are standing around watching everybody else, or waiting their turn, etc.? Maybe they do it very differently these days. It'd be more useful if children moved during gym class. :/

Probably depends on the school and district. My kids PE classes are pretty active. Soccer, volleyball, basketball, archery, biking, running/walking challenges, etc.