Want to partner up?

Options
Hi There! I'm happy to be here! I'd love to find someone in the same boat as me. I'm extremely active (I'm a producer for the Discovery Channel, a mountain climber, and a long-distance swimmer) but lately I've gained about 30lbs just from slacking off on what I've been eating and from being out of commission from a knee surgery.

I'm totally excited to get back in shape, and to avoid some of my earlier pitfalls. I'm committed to:

* Eating breakfast every day (I typically work out in the morning, skip breakfast, then have two cups of coffee...realizing this is not exactly the healthy way of life LOL)
* Working out safe and smart instead of overdoing it one day, skipping meals, and binging later on because I'm so hungry
* Cutting out over-processed foods and chemically-laden snacks from my diet (goodbye, pudding with cool-whip for dinner!)
* Walking every day for 30 minutes a day, no matter what. It's good for my knee and good for my brain.

I'm so glad to have found a community of people who are getting healthy as well!

- Monica

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I'm happy to be here! I'd love to find someone in the same boat as me. I'm extremely active (I'm a producer for the Discovery Channel, a mountain climber, and a long-distance swimmer) but lately I've gained about 30lbs just from slacking off on what I've been eating and from being out of commission from a knee surgery.

I'm totally excited to get back in shape, and to avoid some of my earlier pitfalls. I'm committed to:

* Eating breakfast every day (I typically work out in the morning, skip breakfast, then have two cups of coffee...realizing this is not exactly the healthy way of life LOL)
    * Working out safe and smart instead of overdoing it one day, skipping meals, and binging later on because I'm so hungry
    * Cutting out over-processed foods and chemically-laden snacks from my diet (goodbye, pudding with cool-whip for dinner!)
    * Walking every day for 30 minutes a day, no matter what. It's good for my knee and good for my brain.

I'm so glad to have found a community of people who are getting healthy as well!

- Monica
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Welcome Monica ~ My family LOVES the Discovery channel....you will be just fine and get to your goal in no time. This site and the people on it are great!

Goodluck
    :flowerforyou:
    dd
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Big welcome to you, Monica. :flowerforyou: You sound rarin' to go! Hope you find much success here.
    I've always wanted to mountain climb. Not sure that's gonna happen here in Indiana, though.

PS. The Discovery Channel rocks out loud:smile:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you!
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    Welcome! I can't say that I'm THAT active but I used to be (pre-offspring). But we're starting their little butts hiking this summer in Rocky Mountain National Park. With your drive and this site, you'll reach your goal fast!

Namaste'
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Cash Cab is the best gameshow ever! You guys Rock wander! Oh, and best of luck to you, welcome to our little rosey corner of the interweb.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. We are very happy to have you join us. It sounds like you have a great adventurous life going. Discovery Channel is terrific.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will do great. One thing that keeps me going and in line is thinking of food as something to fuel my body and not something to gorge on or find comfort in on a bad day. That will help you to make wiser choices and eat only enough to keep your body running smoothly and not overfill the tank!!

As a mother of a 15 month old, I love the Discovery Channel! :) Let me know if you need anything. I have had success in "counting calories" and have lost 63 lbs since September 4. I just joined this site myself a week or so ago to help me on my continuing journey. I have not starved or taken a magic pill. I just kept track of what I ate, made wiser choices and exercised. It's pretty simple really.

Ciao 4 now!
    Tami
  • its time for change
    Options
    Welcome!! Your goals sound like they are going to be easy enough to maintain and VERY beneficial. You are going to be so surprised at the support that you will find from this group. I wish you all the best!! :drinker:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I'm so glad to have found a network of people to lean on for support.

I'm gearing up for another few months on the road filming a new series, so I'm determined to start some good habits while I'm still in town that I can take with me on the road. Motel 6, here I come...this job is not as glamorous as it sounds...

It's definitely been hard for me to stick with a regular program of exercise and eating right on the road. Too many temptations, too many long days of coffee and candy, too many guys on the crew that just want to eat McDonald's all day and drink in seedy bars all night.

Fighting the good fight~!