Bad day

This day is starting off so badly. All I want to do is EAT!!! The only way I can stop myself is to go into the bedroom, get into bed and elevate my lymphedema legs and stay away from food. So that is where I'm headed right now. What to do??? I'm in an electric wheelchair and can't do any kind of walking or even light exercise. I only do some leg movements in bed and hanging off the chair. I do some light arm movements with an attachment over the door. That's it. I would love to be in the ocean but that is impossible. So for some reason the food is driving me nuts today. It's gloomy here with rain on and off and I can't go outside without my oxygen. I'm sorry for moaning and groaning but I just figured it out. My daughter had the sleeve stomach surgery on Thursday and I think I was so worried about her but also so jealous. I never got to be able to have the surgery so it is on my mind. I really do hope she does well but now I'm too old and have way too many health issues to have surgery. So at least now I think I figured it out why this is a bad day. So I'm heading to the bed and see what happens. One day at a Time.

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Sorry you’re struggling today!! I don’t have any good advice for you but wanted to offer some encouragement. Funny enough, when I am trying not to eat, I often go to bed as well. I hope it passes and you feel better quickly!

As for the jealousy, our emotions are what they are. Reality is even with the surgery you have to change eating habits so the only difference is you don’t get the extra head start. But, you also don’t get the risks that come with surgery which might very well be higher for you.
  • nanapapa121794
    nanapapa121794 Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you for your encouragement. It helped. Today my heart doctor's office called because instead of going down the weight is going up. So they might change my meds or change the amount of sodium I'm allowed. It's sooo hard because there is sodium in EVERYTHING. so today i'm starting another day and hope to be much better. Have a great day.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited June 2021
    When I want to eat it all, I do. Broccoli, carrots, celery. Hard to go over your calorie limit on those.
    Hot tea helps, too.
    I’m sorry you’re feeling bad.
    Logging carefully should help. Especially if you end up having to limit salt. You will know what has the most and where to cut back.
    Yes, salt is in everything. I found out soy is too. It’s very hard, but doable for the right reward(feeling better).
    I hope today is a better day.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Thank goodness bad days pass and with a new day there is hope and things will go better. It is great that you can come here for support and to vent. Through eating healthy and doing the exercise that you can.. you will be able to lose weight. You can do it! you can.
    As for your daughter? You are not jealous of her.. you just wish you could have that weight loss option too,. That's an authentic human emotion. You sound like a very good person having a difficult day.
  • HawkingRadiation
    HawkingRadiation Posts: 31 Member
    I second the comment on hot tea. When I'm hungry and don't have the calories to eat something good, I drink hot beverages. This works surprisingly well.

An old Weight Watcher's trick was to brush your teeth. This also works for some reason. I think the sweetness in the toothpaste makes you think you had something good. I also suspect that something in your saliva may contribute to making you want to eat. Kinda like you have one cookie, and need more. If you brush your teeth that feeling goes away.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    OP I would just like to add that YOU CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT. We've had several posters in wheelchairs that have lost over 100 lbs. They improved their health tremendously. You can too. Get on internet and research a low salt diet. That should give you some ideas of how to season your food. Just never give up and keep going. Log, log, log,........
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited July 2021
    I would love to be in the ocean but that is impossible.
    Have you read or watched "The Secret"? (It's on Youtube...) My favourite scene in the movie is where the guy imagines he's driving the car of his dreams. You may not be able to get to the ocean, but you CAN GO THERE in your mind!! Put on the sound of waves, close your eyes, and visualize and feel yourself in the ocean, in perfect health, with the waves healing your body, mind, and spirit. :) I bet you can even find some great guided meditations on YouTube or an app like InsightTimer (my go-to). Change your MIND! Control what you can (your thoughts and reactions to your circumstances). Be well!

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_djk0kyeSM (it's around 38 minutes in)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    now I'm too old and have way too many health issues
    What other, more empowering, story could you be telling yourself?