Sprained Ankle

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking for help or advice on exercising!

I spent last night in A&E with luckily just a sprained ankle. So I'm now limited as to what I can do for 2 weeks min.

My normal routine;

Mon: Kickboxing 120 min
Tues: weights, Pilates
Weds: kickboxing 120 minutes
Thurs: cycling 60+ minutes, Pilates
Friday: run or aerobics, weights, pilates
Sar: cycling 180 min, pilates
Sun: kickboxing 60 min, pilates

I average 550 intensity minutes a week according to my garmin.

So help! Now I can't cycle, kickbox, run or aerobics, what can I do?!!

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Let your ankle heal, stick to upper body, static bike when your doctor allows it.
  • mikethewriter
    mikethewriter Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I think for now, you should not think of exercising. Just let your ankle heal properly and then resume with your routine.
    Get well soon! :)
  • KelBlundell
    KelBlundell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I have something of an exercise addiction I suspect!

I think after a week I could start with arm weights and walking if GP agrees
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,210 Member
    Options
    Be careful and listen to you doctors otherwise the ankle will be sore much longer than those two weeks. Believe me, I speak from experience. It's not good to push through an injury. Take time to heal

Why not just do some upper body boxing or just do more Pilates. Mat stuff should be ok
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Is your kickboxing cardio kickboxing or with gloves and a bag? You can still box with gloves and a bag, just no kicking. Work on just hand speed without too much force.
    And there are still seated exercises you can do for upper body as well as isolation exercises for legs that shouldn't affect the ankle like leg extensions and leg curls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Must've been the weekend for it. I actually tore a ligament off, along with a chip of the bone it was attached to and did some nasty stuff to another ligament on the 5th. (Crawling out of the woods was an adventure)

Let the exercise go, eat enough protein, rest and stay off it. 2 weeks is pretty minor in the scheme of things but if you push it, you're going to be down a lot longer and/or you're going to end up with a chronically unstable ankle. A chronically unstable ankle sounds like a problem for kickboxing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you attempted to train and found no lifts or variations tolerable?

Practice self efficacy what the medical team advices you. Find what yoy can do with the goal to return to normal.

Plenty of established evidence to train than not. Also shows injuries not only heal faster but lowers the risk of injury reoccurring.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    get a small pedaler and pedal with your arms? do hundreds of curls and back extensions?

my knee is hurt, so i'm doing vigorous chair dancing. there are youtube videos for chair exercise, but i'm just "dancing" to music and using my whole body. i'm not in as good shape as you are, but i can easily keep my heart rate up to at least a moderate bike ride's HR>
  • KelBlundell
    KelBlundell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks - to answer some questions;
    I do both cardio kb, sparring and classes.
    I literally did it last night so haven't done anything yet. Have imposed a min of 72 hours rest on myself

I love the idea of chair dancing! But not till Sunday!
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There’s a reason athletic trainers and those in sports medicine and physical therapy say to RICE; Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. That will help your body go through the natural inflammatory phase of healing. The inflammatory phase will last anywhere from 3-21 days, so don’t try and do too much too soon. Like everyone else has said, listen to your doctors.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    astod4 wrote: »
    There’s a reason athletic trainers and those in sports medicine and physical therapy say to RICE; Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. That will help your body go through the natural inflammatory phase of healing. The inflammatory phase will last anywhere from 3-21 days, so don’t try and do too much too soon. Like everyone else has said, listen to your doctors.

Actually evidence is suggesting RICE doesn't really have good evidence of benefit and may instill some narratives that are harmful. Unfortunately many people in the spectrum of rehab are regurgitating old protocols from text books that are outdated.

Especially the idea to "rest". This can actually be harmful compared to practicing self efficacy and do what is tolerable. While it's reasonable to protect from certain movements early on if it causes pain to increase, rest should be minimized.

Also ice actually slows down the natural healing of the body as it restricts blood flow. There are better means to restrict swelling than ice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396304/