Doctors prescription medicine for weight loss, has anyone tried this?

Options
Doctors prescription medicine for weight loss, has anyone tried this?

My GP doctor has referred me to an official weight loss doctor, because my weight is very very high and very unhealthy

And the weight loss doctor today told me that she wants to put me on prescription weight loss medicine because I’ve been so unsuccessful at losing weight on my own and I have been an absolute failure at every day I’ve gone on.

I am scared of possible side effects!

Has anyone tried doctor prescribed prescription medicine for weight loss and if so what are your thoughts and comments?

Thank you!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    Elsewhere you've mentioned having emotional eating issues and binge eating disorder.
    I think a therapist is a better idea than weight loss drugs.
    Even if they work, what happens when you stop taking the weight loss drugs? You need an approach that will give you the tools to make long-term progress, creating new habits, etc. to avoid gaining the weight back afterwards.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to qualified medical professionals. If you're concerned about the drug, voice your concerns to the doctor. Also, get a second opinion from another doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Doctors for some reason like to use medication for issues instead of an approach of defining the issue and working on that first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Looking at the scientific articles on PubMed, you can find numerous clinical trials where controlled-release phentermine/topiramate (PHEN/TPM CR) significantly improved weight-loss outcome with tolerable side effects. Here, I just pick out one of them as an example:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22158731/

Of course, your doctor knows this, which is why they are suggesting the treatment. The final decision is completely up to you, and different people will have different experiences. You could try the treatment for some time, keeping careful notes on how you feel and reporting back to the doctor.

Best of luck!
  • Susan_Star
    Susan_Star Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think that going to a therapist or a counsellor who specializes in weight loss would be really a good idea, however I have called around and they usually charge about $200 an hour and recommend weekly visits so that would cost $800 a month which would be absolutely impossible for me to afford

However, I am really nervous about going on prescription medicine for weight loss because of possible side effects and yes what would be the point if all the weight comes back after I stop the medicine

I have tried dozens of different diets over all the years and I have tried restrictive eating and portion control, and always always I am unable to stay on these types of diets and the weight always comes back plus some extra

And now I’m dealing with multiple health issues that are directly related to the extra weight so this is become a serious problem, and it’s feeling kind of hopeless
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    If the weight is giving you health issues, you might consider the weight loss drugs just to help with that while still pursuing more durable solutions. At a certain point the risks associated with your weight outweigh the risks of the side effects...

I live in a different country, but hopefully other people can give you tips for therapy without having to pay 200 (US?) dollars per session, which seems excessive to me.
  • anna_nintey3
    anna_nintey3 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have had prescription meds for losing weight for a month now, I've been trying to lose weight for 5+ years, I have underlying incurable health issues that make it harder to lose it... I'm using this as a boost for my progress to give me some kind of achievement and it's working and I'm in a much better place than I have been... Physically and mentally.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a health problem. It can be managed without medication for some people, but once comoribities come into play medical support is reasonable.

Though seeking education for the daily living management of it (ie; nutritionist) and psychological help for the behavioral aspects, also make sense.
  • Susan_Star
    Susan_Star Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

I really really appreciate all your help and support,

I have still not decided if I will say yes to the prescription weight loss medicine but this is really helping me to think about the health problem of my obesity from a few different angles
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Since you mentioned binge eating disorder, I have friends who have had success with medication for their binge eating disorder. I can’t recall the name of the med but apparently it’s successful in some people but not all, might be worth discussing with your doctor when you ask him your other questions. It’s possible that it would alleviate the need for the other med you’re concerned about.

Edit: I looked it up and I’m pretty sure my friend is on Vyvanse.