Knee pain

Options
Okay so yesterday I did Jillian's 30 day shred and my knee was bothering me during the lunges. Since then it has been sore and the outer part of the knee is achy. Does anyone know anything about this? SHould I stay off of it or can I still exercise? I don't want to lose my momentum.
Thanks for the help.

Replies

• clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    Okay so yesterday I did Jillian's 30 day shred and my knee was bothering me during the lunges. Since then it has been sore and the outer part of the knee is achy. Does anyone know anything about this? SHould I stay off of it or can I still exercise? I don't want to lose my momentum.
    Thanks for the help.
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Do you have old knee injuries? Previous history of knee pain? If not, what about recent exercise? Did you jump right into this DVD without having exercised in the last few months? All of this needs to be taken into consideration before you make a decision to continue or not.

Personally, I'd do a day of rest followed by 2-3 days of speed-walking (or another high-intensity video w/o lunges) and then do the DVD again. I have osgood schlatters disease and prior knee surgery, so I often have pain in my knees when I do moves that are known to be hard on my knees. However, everyone's situation is different, and if this is unusual for you--then you should lay off for a few days to rest up.

If it's not better, probably seek a doc's advice, you may have really pulled something. When I first started doing planks and push-ups, I went too hard, too fast and pulled a muscle in my rib cage. There was no way I could continue any upper body stuff until it healed (and it took a LONG, LONG time--almost 8 weeks). If I had stopped exercising/pushing so hard when I felt the first twinge of pain, I would have saved myself 8 weeks of no-upper body and 5 pounds gained back.

Long story short--you know your body best, what is normal, what isn't, when you begin new exercise routines. If this is not normal and does not go away after a few days, you should seek additional medical advice.

Also---

I am NOT a trainer, but when you go back to the DVD, here's some advice---

I have Biggest Loser dvds and Bob mentions several times in them to be careful not to overextend your knees during lunges. This means as you lunge forward, your kneecap should be lined up with your ankle--not jutting out, pointing towards your toes. I have noticed that being just a tad too forward on my knees makes them hurt. So definitely double-check your form. Use a mirror if you need to.
  • clairegl
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a long-time exerciser and think I'm in decent shape cardiovascularly, however, I'm in need of upping my weight training. I do have a long standing weakness in the knee area so I'm always careful when doing lunges etc to watch my form. I thought I was doing okay and I stopped that particular exercise when it began to hurt.
    Basically I was going to walk today instead of burden the knee, just hoping for some feedback from people regarding the specific area of injury too.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    at my age I never NEVER do leg work without knee surpport I use knee wraps for power lifter, that my be over kill for what you are doing, but they do make some neoprene ones.
    just a little add extra I also use a weight belt for leg days they also make some back support from neoprene. good luck
  • clairegl
    Options
    Thanks, I will try that.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    is your form correct- Make sure you are doing them to correct way to avoid hurting yourself
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I agree with John. I used a small wrap that went just under the knee and it was designed to help keep everything in line while running, walking, weight lifting etc.

Also, if you know you have knee problems it is a great idea to of course stretch but also to ice your knee for about 15 minutes afterwards. icing will help prevent any swelling and eliminates some of the potential discomfort you may feel after a hard workout.
    :flowerforyou:
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    I used to always have knee pain every so often... I take a flex pill 3x a day and "BOY DO I NOTICE A DIFFERANCE!"

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3126549

My hubby got them for me... and i notice a differance about 1/2 a bottles worth...
    Another thing that helps me personally is the day my knees do hurt and i can sit for about an hour i put them up striaght for that time.... IF U CANT sit....

When you go to bed sleep on your stomach! Tis REALLY REALLY helps me.... The pain is gone by morning!

Oh and dont just put ice on your knee... 15 min ice & 15 mn heating pad.... this will expand and contract your muscles around your knee....
    Good Luck!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    how's the knee
  • clairegl
    Options
    how's the knee
    Slowly but surely getting better I think. It doesn't bother me much just walking on a flat surface, but climbing and descending stairs is where it gets tricky. I'm just giving it a rest for the last 2 days and today to see if it's better. Tomorrow I will get back at it but with low impact (no lunges) exercise.
    Thanks for asking.