Craft Beer Connoisseurs

Options
ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
Anyone else here LOVE going to breweries and trying out craft beers? I even have a passport that I get stamped at breweries to enjoy a BOGO beer. We usually try to string 2-3 breweries together and make a day out of it.

Obviously this is not helpful to losing weight. What have you found that works for you? Workout extra on days you plan to drink beers? Just have less? I'm curious what others do!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    Fortunately (?), I'm small-ish so can't drink multiples of the delicious real big calorie bombs because of the ABV, if I'm driving. Even then I'm careful about food and water alongside, and timing.

Other than that, I appreciate places that give tastes so I can choose wisely, and I pay attention to frequency of indulging. Sampler flights offered in varying numbers is helpful, too.

I'm in maintenance, so my overall strategy is a small calorie bank most days (100-150 under maintenance calories, not enough to hurt daily performance), then managing the frequency/size of indulgences (whether food or my favorite IPAs) to keep my weight in the range where I want it.

I wouldn't normally work out extra to earn beer calories - that's not the relationship I want, psychologically, between exercise and calories. I'm pretty active, though, so I usually have calories to cover my nutritional basics (which I'm serious about) and still indulge periodically.

IMO, it's about reasonableness and balancing. I don't always get to have every single thing I might want in the moment, because of things I want in the long run, and that's OK.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I live in the "Napa Valley of breweries", so definitely understand where you are coming from. One of the things I've done start asking places about half pours, or even taster pours/flights. That way I can try several beers, but not consume all those calories. It can be disappointing to have only a small amount of a beer you really like, but let's be honest, if you are visiting several breweries in a day and having a couple beers at every one, you aren't exactly savoring every beer anyway.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I love them. But, my tolerance is declining rapidly. What to do? @AnnPT77 said it: smaller portions. I often split a can with friends so we can try out more of them. Man, those 10% ABV double IPAs can hit hard!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer! I usually try the flights. The problem for me when drinking beer is I usually want to eat more. I have to be really careful. I heard a quote today. “ everything in moderation, even moderation!ll” - sometimes I have to splurge!
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    maybe count it as your 6-11 servings of bread, rice,pasta, cereals for the day?:)
    4cwg113p79dw.png
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Unless there are special circumstances, I don't drink at all on the days I work. I have a subscription to a monthly craft delivery box and get 2 of each (of 5 different beers), one for me & one for my husband. I'll have that one beer to try each of 5 nights of the month. The other nights (that I am off work & not trying the craft subscription) and we go out to the breweries/restaurants etc I just try to be reasonable about it. But that's only a couple nights/month so it's not too much of a stretch.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I love me my craft beers, but mostly have them from my local bottle shop, one per night. I just make room in my budget for those.

On the rarer occasions I go out - those are usually either maintenance days, or not-even-going-to-try-to-track days. :neutral: I go with Mrs Jruzer, who keeps me in check.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to high abv IPAs. The higher the better for me but I'm talking in the range of 7-10%.

I've gone tasting at a wide variety of beweries and dedicated beer bars located in my area and usually just get a 2oz tasting of 4-6 beers.

However, usually, I only drink a pint of one w/food at restaurants that serve an array of craft beers on tap.

As long as I log everything I drink, there's no problem staying w/in my cal limit but, if I drink "too much," my diet will suffer nutritionally unless I go over.

So, I try not to drink "too much."