Heaviest I’ve ever been!!

Daled2020
Daled2020 Posts: 6 Member
I decided to start this journey again a few days ago and though “I’ll wait till Monday” Monday will be my 52nd Birthday. Until I decided to step on the scale about 5 min ago….. I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been!! 209? Seriously??? so it starts today. Heading down now to join the gym then right after to stock my pantry. I’m in this shock right now I can’t describe. I need accountability buddies badly!!!

Replies

• sally_macleod
    sally_macleod Posts: 2 Member
    C'mon Daled, you can do it! I wish I was your weight, but I'm getting there; 5 weeks in, & I've lost 6 kilos, so feeling very pleased with myself o:) Hubby's also jumped on board, & he's lost just over 7 kilos. We're not on any specific diet, but using a couple of things as a framework to eating better; the CSIRO Wellbeing Diet, which is more of an eating plan than an actual diet, & based on science & many years of ongoing research, in combination with my own personal experience of managing my Mums diabetes for over 20 years. I'm managing portion control, increased our protein & veg, & reduced most "empty" carbs, & replaced them with more nutrient dense carbs, or lower GI ones. I've also swapped a lot of our foods for lower fat, healthier versions, (cheese, milk, meat, etc). I've also given up my "can of coke a day" & just drink water now, & my must-have cuppa tea. I'm not sure if you've used myfitnesspal before, but I love it. I love logging my diary every day, then I use it to plan the next days meals, (or to get ideas, anyway). My favourite part of this app, is the recipe section. I love to cook, (I'm an ex-chef), so I've been able to put in our favourite recipes, & then tweak them to make them healthier, so we don't feel like we're missing out, which, in turn, makes it easier to stick to our plan. Last night we had our favourite, stuffed red peppers, but with half the Kj's, & they were just as delicious!! Hubby was so excited, when I told him I'd created a "diet" version.
    It was very hard for me at the beginning, because I'd never, ever "dieted" before, & because I'm relatively healthy, with textbook BP, & cholesterol levels that's the envy of all my friends. But I have mobility issues, & that hasn't helped the weight, so I would comfort eat to feel better. But mid-way through the 2nd week, it all just fell into place, when my daughter put me onto my fitnesspal. So now I'm actually enjoying it, & I've even had a revival for my love of cooking, & think, as hubby & I are getting older, this will set us up for healthier ageing.
    Cheers & good luck! <3
  • jaimie1757
    jaimie1757 Posts: 2 Member
    I wish I was in your shoes too, Daled. :smile:

Has anyone told you about Pahla B? She's amazing! For those of us over 50, you can find her on YouTube. Her ebook is free, short, and sweet! We can do this!
  • Daled2020
    Daled2020 Posts: 6 Member
    I will have to look her up!
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    @Daled2020 Welcome! MFP has helped me a lot! Tracking calories and macros helps make this interesting for me. I hope you enjoy it, too!

@sally_macleod Yay! Sounds like we are on same wavelength. I quit sodas, limited processed foods, very few to zero added sugars, increased proteins, greens, water, and fiber. Havent been always perfect, but trying to do my best and being kind to myself when i slip is major! It was key when i decided to concentrate on what i can eat rather on what i can't.

Weighed today and i am 12.6 lbs away from a 'normal' weight. First time in over 30 years! I think i may hit it by Sept birthday, but even if i dont, this is closest I've been in 30 yrs, so worth celebrating!

Best wishes to us all!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Shock is probably what brings most of us here. I was about your age when I got here, 60 now and maintaining. Sending you a friend request!