Will lifting help or hurt broad shoulders/big chest?

Hi guys, I’m 5’2 with broad shoulders and I’m top heavy. I’m down 177 lbs with cardio only. I would still like to drop another 40 lbs. It’s been about 13 months and the loss has slowed. I’ve been thinking about changing it up and adding resistance training. I dislike my broad shoulders and being so too heavy. Will lifting make my broad shoulders look toned/smaller or will it make them appear bigger? I’d like a smaller chest as well. Will lifting help with that? Any tips on what I should do? Thank you!lavsj4s2fu1w.jpeg

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Kudos on your progress! I don't think you're top heavy but you want what you want so...

Have you considered working on overall body aesthetics?

For example, I'd reduce focus on upper body work and start lower body/core work.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    You won't get big - it will tone you up. And you'll see the effects in your arms and upper torso as well. Everything I read is positive about resistance training as an adult - I'm guessing by your picture avatar that you are one. Good luck!!! And keep up the great work!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Lifting works on muscle and not fat. Broad shoulders are usually genetic and you can't really reduce their width, but with very moderate resistance, you can still train the muscle without increasing size. And your chest size is dependent on fat stored in the breast and that's NOT affected by weight training either.
    Lift to condition your muscles so they become firmer and "harder". Also, keeping muscle conditioned helps to alleviate joint pain due to the stress of weight on them being reduced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Lifting will shape you up. It’s emphasized my shoulders but that’s because it’s helped trim my waist and legs, making shoulders look proportionally bigger, not in a bad way.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I see nothing wrong with your shoulders. You're not a twig. If you have good shoulder strength, try swimming, if you don't do it already. Hidden talent.
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. @ninerbuff the explanation you provided was super helpful. @Jthanmyfitnesspal Just got some new swimsuits for the gym! 🙂
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    It will depend on a few things.

One being your programming and how sensitive you respond to it specifically. If you eating in a deficit, I wouldn't expect a significant amount of hypertrophy to take place. More of a retention of the muscle you do have. Which may or may not lead to a more "toned" look.

Two being what you consider toned or bigger as a individual. With the info you given, I don't have a clear idea what either "looks" you are setting for the goal posts.

I certainly wouldn't advice avoiding training your upper body.

Backtrack to your training...how sensitive you are to certain programming could elicit a different response.

I would suggest find programming or a experienced coach that can guide you after gathering more info like equipement, days available, etc... There are many of us who do online extremely fair prices who can help you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My friend has a similar build. We lifted together quite regularly while she lost weight. She kept her overall shape, but reduced her size overall. We did full body lifting, similar to strong lifts 5x5.