I don't understand "NET" calories

Options
Hi there,
I've been using MyFitnessPal for about a month with due diligence, but one thing I really am having a hard time getting is the "net" calories. Do I want high net calories, low net calories? I understand the formula, but I don't understand the significance of the number. Anyone have any insight?
Thank you!
Lindsay

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    calories eaten - calories burned = net calories.

you want positive net calories, at least 1200
  • rhiannagreene
    Options
    The net calories, Are your total calories then minus the excersize youve done, so you still want LOW but, I dont go by that formula because if you do then its like saying that if you decide you wanna eat total calories of like 1300 but you work out and burn 500 then according to this site you can eat 500 more calories, but you shouldnt do that, you should just burn the 500 and still only eat the 1300.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The net calories, Are your total calories then minus the excersize youve done, so you still want LOW but, I dont go by that formula because if you do then its like saying that if you decide you wanna eat total calories of like 1300 but you work out and burn 500 then according to this site you can eat 500 more calories, but you shouldnt do that, you should just burn the 500 and still only eat the 1300.
    There's a lot of debate on this.

One thing that is NOT up for debate is that MFP already calculates a 500 calorie deficit for you when you enter that your goal is to lose one pound per week. That one pound per week goal assumes that you are going to eat back your exercise calories to stay at the 500 calorie deficit.

Whether or not you eat back your exercise calories to stay at the 500 deficit should depend on whether or not it works for YOU. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you can probably get by with not eating them but if you don't have much weight left to lose you probably need to stay as close to the net calorie goal MFP gives you which means eating back the calories you burn in exercise.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    its what you have actually consumed at the end of the day - including all food and exercise.

Like your net pay is what you actually come home with after taxes, etc.

Total calories consumed is like gross pay
    exercise is like your taxes and other deductions
    net calories is the true number of calories your body took in that day
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If my daily goal is 1400 calories -- and I exercise and burn 400 --- that means I need to actually EAT 1800 to have a 1400 net.

Sometimes this is extremely hard for me as I'm not always that hungry -- so I often drink mine (protein shakes) or just try to get as much back as I can -- at least half of my exercise cals anyway. Of course this is the infamous ongoing debate --- so you'll have to figure out wht works for you.

In summary -- your net number should be your daily goal -- which already has the deficit to lose built in.
  • yasnil2
    yasnil2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! One more follow up question since I'm hearing mostly the same thing, but want to be SURE....

So if my net is 400 that = bad b/c I've only eaten 400 calories that day?

And if my net is 2000, then that's bad, too b/c I've eaten over my range.

I'm looking for a positive net number that is close to my daily calorie goal.

Yes?

that's helped a bit... I had NO idea what the point of that number was or why it was important!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're looking for a positive net number that is close to your calorie goal without going over (by too much). :)
  • goobergop
    goobergop Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @nickscutie loved the explaination. Helped immensely!
  • ronde
    ronde Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This post was very helpful!! I've been questioning the net calorie for several weeks and have been going back and forth between eating my excercise calories or not, and never felt confident with either. Now it makes sense.

Also I've been reading about Heart Rate monitors on the boards and purchased the polar F4 off Amazon ($60) this week thanks to advice here on MFP...I love it!! It makes me want to push harder and excercise longer because I know its going to be accurate. Three other excercise tools I've been using that are really good for those who have smart devices and also for those who don't have access to a gym or excercise equipment. They only take a small space in your bedroom. Nike Training, 100 Pushups and 200 situps. They are great motivator apps. Now I just wish I could find an app that will let me track a runny total of how many miles I do on my treadmill per week/month.
  • amalexa
    amalexa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally get it now....