Following Macros

Options
As of today, I'm trying to follow Macros that have been assigned to me by my Nutrition coach.
I have done this before, and it can be a struggle. I am going to give it my 100% all this week to see if I can maintain macros. Does anybody else do this? any tips?

Replies

• georgiapch70
    georgiapch70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’m a mess with my macros. 😜 I’m trying not to let perfection be the enemy of good though. Hoping it will start to click as I go along. As I’m tracking, I’m starting to notice things about macros that I wasn’t before so I guess that’s moving in the right direction.
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is where I am so far for the day

Totals 946 120 21 64 12 1,372
    Your Daily Goal 1,830 175 70 125 25 2,300
    Remaining 884 55 49 61 13 928

• ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't care about fat or carbs, just protein. I am strength training, so my protein is particularly important. I am new to it, and yes, it can be a struggle. I feel like I am thinking about protein constantly, lol.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I monitor protein and let the others fall where they may.

I find that they fall pretty well, if I look at the weekly nutrition view instead of stressing over daily numbers.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    As of today, I'm trying to follow Macros that have been assigned to me by my Nutrition coach.
    I have done this before, and it can be a struggle. I am going to give it my 100% all this week to see if I can maintain macros. Does anybody else do this? any tips?

I follow macros as set out by my coach. As long as I am 10g either side of carbs/protein and 5g either side of fats I see it as a good day. I've found that tracking, while challenging at first, really helps with finding the sweet spot for training nutrition.

I plan my food in advance and enter in it tweaking it to meet my macros. Once I have decided on what I am going to have that's what I eat (85% of the time) which works for me.

If anything I tend to be higher on protein, spot on with fat and lower on carbs if I am outside of the range above but as I'm trying to build muscle I'm okay with it.

Is there anything in particular you are having difficulty with?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, i would say its not about being perfect, just good enough. Like others say, try to hit protein (considering its that 125g number), and generally aim for the carbs and fat. The latter being much more variable in terms of satiety and performance.

Second, prelogging calories can help.
  • webbben
    webbben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tvm1970 wrote: »
    jadu1536 wrote: »

I follow macros as set out by my coach. As long as I am 10g either side of carbs/protein and 5g either side of fats I see it as a good day. I've found that tracking, while challenging at first, really helps with finding the sweet spot for training nutrition.

I plan my food in advance and enter in it tweaking it to meet my macros. Once I have decided on what I am going to have that's what I eat (85% of the time) which works for me.

If anything I tend to be higher on protein, spot on with fat and lower on carbs if I am outside of the range above but as I'm trying to build muscle I'm okay with it.

Is there anything in particular you are having difficulty with?

• webbben
    webbben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m new to this and so excited for the experiences of everyone here.

I have had it so engrained that carbs are bad that it kills me to meet my carb number. Any suggestions on foods full of carbs that aren’t just bread or potatoes? I want to get the carbs but still feel like I’m making smart food choices.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    webbben wrote: »

I have had it so engrained that carbs are bad that it kills me to meet my carb number. Any suggestions on foods full of carbs that aren’t just bread or potatoes? I want to get the carbs but still feel like I’m making smart food choices.

Veggies, fruits, whole grains, dairy.

Potatoes, IMO, are reasonably nutritious, and many people find them filling. Some of the common prep methods and add-ons increase their calorie density but don't add much nutrition. Breads vary hugely in their nutrient and calorie density - some are nutrient-dense and calorie-reasonable.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    webbben wrote: »

Any whole grain is a decent choice, in my opinion. So, wild rice blends are nice. Add some tomatoes and maybe garlic? Delicious.

I have Bob’s Red Mill oatmeal, with cinnamon and a couple slices of dehydrated apples every morning. Great nutrition. Great fiber. Cheap. Good for your heart and cholesterol. And? You don’t have to cook it in the morning if you don’t want to.
    Just put a quarter cup oatmeal and some apples and cinnamon in a travel mug, along with 3/4 cup water, or milk if you like, and stick it in the fridge overnight. (Actually this keeps in the fridge for a week, and is great in mason jars)

In the morning your oatmeal is ready to eat. Just grab and go.

Either eat it cold, or microwave for a minute to warm it up.

Add fruit or yogurt or brown sugar however you like it.
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been trying the overnight oats - they are really good and filling too