Exercise

Options
bandandn
bandandn Posts: 49 Member
they said if you eat in a calorie deficit you will loose weight.
But
If you walk what will that help you with is walking a help to loose weight or wat??? Confused

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for heart health and body shaping - done right can help fat loss, done wrong can help muscle mass loss.

Diet (eating less than you burn in total) is for losing fat weight if done right, include muscle mass if done poorly.

Only thing exercise does for diet is cause you to burn more, which when you eat less may be more than if you didn't exercise.

Would you rather eat 2000 and lose 1 lb weekly by burning 2500 daily with exercise.

Or eat 1500 same weight loss burning 2000 daily with no exercise.

MFP trying to teach life lesson about weight management.
    You do more you eat more.
    You do less you sure better eat less (the kicker for most).

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

Therefore walking by itself will not help to lose weight if you don't monitor what you eat, because it has nothing about eating less than you burn.
    For some (me included) low level cardio like walking actually makes me hungry. Many of us could actually eat too much if not monitoring it.
  • bandandn
    Options
    My calories deficit is 1620 jow many calories doni need to burn to loose weight
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. How you create that deficit can be from controlling diet alone or via the combination of reducing intake and increasing your calorie expenditure via exercise. Walking is often touted as a very low cost, low impact mode of exercise; especially for older and/or very overweight individuals for whom more intense forms of exercise are painful or too difficult.
  • heybales
    Options
    bandandn wrote: »

You need to eat less calories than you burn in total for the day. Understand that basic concept, or you'll never be able to do what you should.
    Reread my post.

If you mean your eating goal is 1620, then you need to burn more than that IN TOTAL for the day.
    Shoot, you may burn that even if you slept all day. So the mere act of getting up and moving daily causes you to burn more.

If you burn 2120 on average daily IN TOTAL then you would likely see losing 1 lb of fat weekly.

That is called a 500 calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Depending on your stats and activity, you require XXXX calories per day to maintain the status quo. You burn calories (energy) 24/7...you burn a crap ton of calories just being alive...you burn more calories going about your day to day stuff...and more calories with exercise.

If you've put in your stats and desired rate of loss into MFP and MFP is giving you 1620 calories as a target, that is your calorie target to lose weight..it is your calorie deficit target, the amount you should eat to lose weight. The calculator has calculated and done the work for you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you’re not very confident in your calorie level.

If you can tell us male/female, height, current weight, goal weight, and an honest evaluation of your activity level, maybe we can help you out.
  • bandandn
    Options
    Female , 5.4 ft weight 214
    Goal weight 160
  • bandandn
    Options
    I exercise but made me hungry
  • heybales
    Options
    I exercise but made me hungry

Sure can - not unusual at all.

What is your exercise, for how long?

Are you using MFP setup correctly?

When you enter the fact you burned more calories because you exercised - are you correctly eating more?
    Reread my first post if that doesn't sound familiar.
  • springlering62
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ok. Disregard the macros on all these screenshots. I didn’t adjust them. I seldom pay attention to anything but my protein and I have my own personal daily goal for that.

Hopefully someone will check these for me. I used my own account and had to adjust everything.

I have it set as female, not very active, 5’4”, SW 214, GW160. I forgot to ask your age, so you are a 59 year old woman. There may be a small but negligible difference for that if you’re younger.

To maintain, you need 1660 calories.

26cvb3mjg7a8.png

To lose .5 pounds a week, you need 1410.
    qa5bwxt2i3za.png

To lose a pound a week, you’ve now hit the minimum MFP will even quote, so this actually wouldn’t get you to a pound a week.
    ja35f2as78oy.png

The rather loose rule of thumb is that a pound is 3500 calories. To lose a pound a week you need to divide 3500 by 7 (days). That’s a calorie deficit of roughly 500 calories a day to lose a pound in a week.

Your starting point, assuming not very active, is 1660 to remain the same weight as now. MFPs lower limit for safety is 1200 a day, which is really low. That’s why it won’t quote you 1160 to lose a pound a week. That would be unhealthy, make you gnaw your arm off, your hair fall out, fatigue, and probably lead to binging and quitting.

Slow is best.

However, that said, there are ways to increase. I’ll find you the link for the NEAT a thread to increase daily activity. There’s exercise, too.

But, you can’t exercise off a bad diet. Lord knows I’ve tried. That’s the other extreme, which also leads to fatigue and a different sort of problems.

A huge aside, though……. Many people (but not all), if they stick to plan assiduously and incorporate even light exercise, will often exceed the expected weight loss. Your mileage may most certainly vary.

The other thing is you need to be prepared for your weight to take on a life if it’s own. If you know to expect it, it won’t be as stressful when it happens. “Plateaus” of several weeks are common- as are those glorious things called “whooshes”, where your body suddenly goes all Pillsbury Boy, and a couple days later you’re down four or five pounds. Oh, joy!

This is a random screenshot of my scale graph a few months in to my own weight loss, to show you how jagged it is.

pth1si6652d6.png

I hope this helps.

The best advice I can give you is to read these boards every day for wisdom, advice, support, and straight up education.

This plan is simple and it works. I’ve lost over 90 pounds and am in better shape and health at 59 than I’ve ever been. But it requires dogged weighing and honest logging .

Much success to you!

ETA: corrected to “not very active” activity level
  • springlering62
    Options
    This is the NEAT thread. It’s full of tips for small, simple things you can do every day to increase your activity and thus calorie burn.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you plugged your stats into My Fitness Pal, it did the math for you.

You are burning calories 24/7. Active people burn more than sedentary. Deliberate exercise is another way to burn calories.

BUT if you plugged your stats into My Fitness Pal you got a calorie goal without exercise. Some people can exercise and some people can't. My Fitness Pal doesn't assume you will.

If you told MFP you wanted to lose weight, then eat the calories it gave you. If you do intentional exercise, then log that and eat a portion of those calories as well. Only a portion, because calorie burns are estimates.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1