excercise calories

Options
Do you really eat every single one of your excercise calories? I know that you are supposed to eat them, but all of them? I want this to work, so that is why I'm asking.

Jess

Replies

• MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Do you really eat every single one of your excercise calories? I know that you are supposed to eat them, but all of them? I want this to work, so that is why I'm asking.

Jess
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Jess

this is a touchy subject on MFP-

Me personally never heard of eating what you burn what I have always heard is burn more than you consume- I eat 1450-1500 calories a day and I work out 4-5 days a week and burn a min of 500 calories before I leave the gym- I don't eat my extra calories- Now if I am hungry I will eat something small but I don't intentionally workout to eat more.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    However if you have alot to lose (as far as fat on your body) you have enough fat (fuel reserve) to be able to eat your allotted calories 1400-1600 calories and workout hard and you will be fine without eating them.

Thats what Jillian Michaels says- she even told a lady that only had 20lbs to lose to eat 1600 calories FOREVER and to just workout
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I earn between 400 and 800 calories from exercise a day and I eat every blessed one of them---otherwise I feel I am on a rabbit diet!!!

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • pspence
    pspence Posts: 3
    Options
    I think the burned calories are there for overdraft protection.
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    I do not. I think it defeats the purpose. Besides, you really don't know how many you're actually burning etc. Play it safe and don't, otherwise, why would we need to be so strict with calories in the first place? I came here and did this before and did eat my calories and it wasn't as successful as it has been for me this time around.
    I know there are a lot of strong opinions here about this, but that is mine.
    Good luck.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting with both options. I think I am gonna take the 1/2 and 1/2 role. Because unless I have an HRM that tracks MY actual cals burned, I am not really sure if my exercise cals are right. So if I cut them in 1/2 and only eat 1/2 of them all should be good. I have done both eating the cals and not eating the cals........seems I lost more when I ate some or all of them. Will see in 2 weeks gonna try to experiment with myself here for a bit.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with a deficit in your calories to start off with. That all goes in when you set your weight loss goals. For example, if you say you want to lose a pound a week, it takes 500 calories a day from your allowance (500 X 7= 3500 calories or one pound)

I find on a day where I exercise hard,( for example Friday where I went to the gym and worked out for 45 minutes, went swimming for 40 minutes, walked the dogs for a half hour and played on the Wii Fit for half an hour) I am more hungry. I will definately eat some exercise calories, but not all of them
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I typically eat some and then use the others as a buffer. It helps me stay on track.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with a deficit in your calories to start off with. That all goes in when you set your weight loss goals. For example, if you say you want to lose a pound a week, it takes 500 calories a day from your allowance (500 X 7= 3500 calories or one pound)

with out exercise correct?
  • mackenzie_b
    Options
    Regardless of which theory you believe on eating exercise calories, it's super, super important to keep in mind that generally, calculations on calorie

s burned during exercise are grossly inflated. This site does a better job than most of estimating, but unless you use a heart rate monitor, you really dont know for sure how many calories you burn during exercise.

You don't have to take my word for it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/health/nutrition/20BEST.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=calories burned&st=cse

so, if you decide to eat you calories burned, i would definitely urge you to be mindful of this - using the calculations given on this site or an exercise machine, it would be really really easy to eat MORE than you burned - so sure, good for your heart and metabolism, but you're definitely not going to loose weight this way.... no matter what everyone's theory, loosing weight is only about numbers - calories in v calories out.
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie set up
    I workout and burn 500 calories a day.

If I didn't eat most of those calories back I would only intake 700 calories. It seems like a I would break down and run out of gas pretty soon.

I've lost 3.5 pounds in 2 weeks. I thought this was how it works and it seems to for me.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I dont. It's what's works for me. I will eat a few once in while, but almost never.
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    It's what's works for me.

And I guess that's what it comes down to is what works best for the individual.

I wil say, if it stops working for me I'll stop eating those extra calories.