Single Parents in the HOUSE???

Options
Jade_Butterfly
Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
Hi , just wondered how many single parents we have here. . . that are trying to navigate through being healthy and fit as well as the

present set of economics where there a lot of people out of work. . .

:bigsmile: How many kiddos do you have?

:smile: How do they make you laugh?

:happy: What are some of the things you like to do together. .

How do all these things impact your fitness journey?

ME: I have an at home business, so at times it is really hard to balance business, parenthood, and I am in college online as well. . . But I want to set a good example for my daughter that with focus and determination all things are possible.

Replies

• rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a little girl who will be 2 on Nov 12 ( she's already terrible before reaching 2)

Her attitude makes me laugh. She always say "No wayyyy" or "maybe not" when you ask her a question.
    Also love when she sees me after a long day of work and squeels "mommeeeeeeeeee" lol best feeling in the world

Loves to just be outside or watching yo gabba gabba while laying on me.

Just want to be able to keep up with her because she's always in something.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i have 2 girls (1 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old)

the better question would be what they do to not make me laugh loll..
    ill give a few examples i suppose
    the other day alexandra hit me in the face not watching what she was doing(shes the youngest) and it really didnt hurt all that much but SHE started crying going owwwie owwwie adn kissing my face lol i couldnt help but laugh(she probably thought i was crazy)

we were going somewhere the other day and outta nowhere flora yells STOP THE CAR STOP THE CAR I NEED TO SCRATCH MY BUTT!!! lol

we walk... we go to the park... we ride bikes
    they keep me pretty active :P
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

While I don't have kids, I dated a single dad of 3 for a long time. What was actually the last straw in the relationship was that he REFUSED to take care of his health. When he discovered that he was diabetic, knew that heart disease ran in his family, was over 40 yrs old, and seeking sole custody of his kids from their neglectful mom, I was heartbroken as I watched his ER visits mount and his behavior refuse to change... Soda drinking, blood sugars (when he WOULD take them) were in the upper 300's to 400's ON AVERAGE... I had a heart to heart with him privately, his mother, and his kids talked to him as well, and he still couldn't figure out that if he couldn't put his health first, he couldn't be there for ANYONE... It really was heartbreaking to watch. (After over a year of it, I couldn't do it anymore and had to say my goodbyes, though we left on friendly terms, just heading different directions - me towards a life where good health IS a priority, him toward a downward spiral because he wasn't ready - and may never be ready - to take the blinders off and realize that if his health isn't important to him, what kind of example is that setting for his kids?)
    I think it's GREAT that you're finding a way to get healthier! Sets a great example for your kids, AND it just might attract a healthier mate in the future! ;) (Worked for me!)
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Single mommy
    2 kids son and daughter
    they make me laugh and smile everyday.. I love to just talk to them and hear what they have to say. We had a blast going to a farmers market last week

I share custody so it only impacts me in that I won't go to the gym when I have them, because it;s too much precioustime.
  • meghanspuppy
    Options
    I've got 1 terrific 9 year old daughter. She thinks she's a grown woman, or at least a teenager! She makes me laugh in a million ways, all the time..nd she can turn me into a screaming banshee in no time, too!! As far as physical activity together, we take walks together and we also do a Zumba class every Friday night and some fun games on Wii, including Wii Fit Plus games, Zumba, and Gold's Gym dance party. I love to ride my bike, something I rarely get to do these days. Every once in a while, I convince my little one to take a ride with me.
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    How many kiddos do you have? Just one

How do they make you laugh? She's a teenager, she makes me crazy more lately than laugh :ohwell:

What are some of the things you like to do together. . We both love music so we enjoy going to concerts. We also like to go to the movies and enjoy hiking. She evens joins me at the gym sometimes. :happy:
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I have 6.5 and 3.5 year old girls. They are awesome, when they aren't fighting! lol Piper is really smart and catches on to things quickly and Sofia is super funny and loves to be silly and sweet. We just hang out, read, play outside, shop and watch movies in bed.

I work out at home every night after 730 when they are in bed. Its a good routine and I get to sleep in :) I'm not a human being before 10a.m lolololol
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Two daughters, had a third on the way.

4 and 10.

My 4 year old is a goof ball, just like me. My 10 year old is my quiet sweetheart (the boys are already noticing her and it's driving me nuts).

They are both active enough, but don't want to go walking or jogging :p Oh well. At least they are still in my life.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 7, 12, 15,16. I am not working. I haven't since my 2nd child was born. Their father recently lost his job, also. My girls are the oldest. We have fun shopping or just hanging around chatting. My boys and I spent a lazy summer at the beach or poolside. They all make me laugh because they are so witty and quick with a comeback. Workouts are neatly impossible. Someone always needs something. I try to do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes after my younger 2 go to bed. I haven't been a single mom that long, but I have always been the only parent who really shouldered the responsibility of the kids' everyday needs
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Single father of 3, 13, 5, and 4. My daughter is oldest, with my two sons filling out the ranks.

And yeah...better to ask what they DON'T do to make me laugh lol.

As for what we do together...pretty much everything outside of work and school. My daughter watches the boys while I go to the gym for an hour 3x a week, but other than that...it's just us three. They particularly enjoy black light bowling on Saturday nights though. Loads of fun lol.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    i have 2 girls (1 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old)

the better question would be what they do to not make me laugh loll..
    ill give a few examples i suppose
    the other day alexandra hit me in the face not watching what she was doing(shes the youngest) and it really didnt hurt all that much but SHE started crying going owwwie owwwie adn kissing my face lol i couldnt help but laugh(she probably thought i was crazy)

we were going somewhere the other day and outta nowhere flora yells STOP THE CAR STOP THE CAR I NEED TO SCRATCH MY BUTT!!! lol

we walk... we go to the park... we ride bikes
    they keep me pretty active :P

Kids say the darndest things. . I love this. . *lmto. . . this so made me smile.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Good for you!

While I don't have kids, I dated a single dad of 3 for a long time. What was actually the last straw in the relationship was that he REFUSED to take care of his health. When he discovered that he was diabetic, knew that heart disease ran in his family, was over 40 yrs old, and seeking sole custody of his kids from their neglectful mom, I was heartbroken as I watched his ER visits mount and his behavior refuse to change... Soda drinking, blood sugars (when he WOULD take them) were in the upper 300's to 400's ON AVERAGE... I had a heart to heart with him privately, his mother, and his kids talked to him as well, and he still couldn't figure out that if he couldn't put his health first, he couldn't be there for ANYONE... It really was heartbreaking to watch. (After over a year of it, I couldn't do it anymore and had to say my goodbyes, though we left on friendly terms, just heading different directions - me towards a life where good health IS a priority, him toward a downward spiral because he wasn't ready - and may never be ready - to take the blinders off and realize that if his health isn't important to him, what kind of example is that setting for his kids?)
    I think it's GREAT that you're finding a way to get healthier! Sets a great example for your kids, AND it just might attract a healthier mate in the future! ;) (Worked for me!)

Sorry sweetie.. this must have been difficult at best. . and sometimes unless one wants change there is really nothing you can do for them. . I know it it disheartening. . . My daughters dad was an alcoholic and undiagnosed manic depressant and didn't seek help until after something horrible happened and there was a divorce. . . But that was the shaking in his life that he needed. . he did go and seek help and get medication. . So sometimes the best that we can do is set boundaries. Huggles.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I've got 1 terrific 9 year old daughter. She thinks she's a grown woman, or at least a teenager! She makes me laugh in a million ways, all the time..nd she can turn me into a screaming banshee in no time, too!! As far as physical activity together, we take walks together and we also do a Zumba class every Friday night and some fun games on Wii, including Wii Fit Plus games, Zumba, and Gold's Gym dance party. I love to ride my bike, something I rarely get to do these days. Every once in a while, I convince my little one to take a ride with me.

Love this. . . that woud really be fun to be able to go and take a zumba class together. . My daughter likes to play the Wii with me. . she didn't care for the Zumba, but loves playing "Just Dance2" , bowling, boxing, golf, and tennis. . It is a lot of fun. .

We also like to pick out and watch movies on netflix together or just select cartoons, when I am working at home (making jewelry) she will take out her beading kit and start working on making jewelry. It is so cute. . .She is incredibly talented at doing Oragami. . .I am not good at it at all but she can like look at it and not really follow the instuctions and poof there it is amazing. .

She is autistic, ADD, and with that has a bit of OCD. . . So everyday is different. . I love her so much. :heart:

She is my love everyday. . my sunshine in life, and I advocate to the wall for her. . . If there is some problem. . it is immediately addressed through the proper channels. .
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Two daughters, had a third on the way.

4 and 10.

My 4 year old is a goof ball, just like me. My 10 year old is my quiet sweetheart (the boys are already noticing her and it's driving me nuts).

They are both active enough, but don't want to go walking or jogging :p Oh well. At least they are still in my life.

Gosh ya Rain. . . Kids are the true treasure in life.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 7, 12, 15,16. I am not working. I haven't since my 2nd child was born. Their father recently lost his job, also. My girls are the oldest. We have fun shopping or just hanging around chatting. My boys and I spent a lazy summer at the beach or poolside. They all make me laugh because they are so witty and quick with a comeback. Workouts are neatly impossible. Someone always needs something. I try to do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes after my younger 2 go to bed. I haven't been a single mom that long, but I have always been the only parent who really shouldered the responsibility of the kids' everyday needs

Karen,

Hats off to you m'friend. . you truly have your hands full. .there. . teens those are tough years. . . I can say this because long story but my ex fiancees kids are 17 and 19 and still call me mom. . so I have been there. . . We broke up back in 03, but those kids still look at me as a mom. . lol. . and I am good friends with their mom. . lol. . anyway. . I know it is fun to deal with them at that age
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Single father of 3, 13, 5, and 4. My daughter is oldest, with my two sons filling out the ranks.

And yeah...better to ask what they DON'T do to make me laugh lol.

As for what we do together...pretty much everything outside of work and school. My daughter watches the boys while I go to the gym for an hour 3x a week, but other than that...it's just us three. They particularly enjoy black light bowling on Saturday nights though. Loads of fun lol.

Hey that is great to have help from your kids. . and you are just the awesome father over there. . Bowling sounds fun. . haven't went gosh since I was about 19.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Single mommy of a beautiful little princess 2 and a charming prince 8 (started young)
    I work 35 hours a week,every other weekend, took a break from school this semester (food in the mouth versus knowledge in the head hopefully until Jan.2012)

What they do to make me laugh/smile?
    My son is a bit of a sore loser, when he plays sports he has to win (reminds me of how I use to be) it just makes my (heart warm) how passionate he is and that he doesn't care who sees him cry.
    My daughter thinks she is my her brothers' mother, when I call him, she calls him, when he's doing something he has no business; she always seems to be there to tell him off and she is so animated with it. (hilarious)
    My son cleans everything and has to know how everything works (I hope he stays this way,the curiousity I feel will get him in loads of trouble)
    My daughter rather play with all her brothers toys than play dress up, school, and baby dolls with me.
    They both can work a nerve

What do we do for fun?
    kickball
    tag
    board games
    parks
    long walks
    movies and tv (of course)

What keeps me sane in trying times?
    I know and believe that there are always better times ahead, as long as I try to make things better.
  • jalynsmom
    Options
    I'm a single mom of a 3 year old little girl. We're a busy couple of girls...I work full time plus I'm in school. She just started preschool and she's involved in gymnastics and soccer. We do everything together! Most evenings I can bribe her to take a walk with me (I push her in the stroller) by letting her play at the playground when I'm done.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to a 2.5 year old girl. I work full time but we always have tons of fun when I'm not working. She is constantly making me laugh. I give props to you with more than 1 kid and being a single parent, I'm not sure I could do this with more than 1 child.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom...I have 2 kids...my daughter will be 10 in Nov & my son will be 7. Being on a tight budget, it's hard to find stuff to do that doesn't break the bank. However, the kids club @ our local mall is seriously the best $10/ year ever! The have a free event every month. Though our favorites are breakfast with Santa in Dec & breakfast with the Easter Bunny in the spring. They have their bikes & scooters too...which let's me get some good walking in when we head down to the park.

How do they make me laugh? Just their total randomness...for example, we were in the store a while back & my daughter picks up this unicorn stuffed animal & yells out of nowhere, "IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!" I cried I was laughing so hard.

My son is hearing impaired; but he doesn't let that stop him. We went to a wedding this past Saturday & he was on the dance floor the whole time just groovin'!