why do my hands swell when I excercise

Options
Whenever I finish working out my hands are swollen, and my feet may be a little.....WHY?

Replies

• kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Water retention?
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not sure why that would be, might want to consult a doctor just to be sure.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    No idea, but mine do too alot! (Bumping for insight)
  • punk_mama
    Options
    Drinking more water might help, I think it is pretty common to have your feet swell after a work out. I found this link for you :-)
    Good luck!
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=80
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I first started walking for exercise this happened for about a week. Then it stopped.

Did you just start working out?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    my hands would swell when ever i walked a 5k. water-retention sounds reasonable, and seeing as I drink a lot of water now which helps flush out your system, sounds like a solution to me :)
  • CelenaOlson
    Options
    My hands swell when I walk or run. It's from swinging your arms. Totally normal.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    My hands swell when I walk or run. It's from swinging your arms. Totally normal.

Not the OP but this makes a lot of sense! I get swollen when I walk outside, and that makes sense why I would!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've found my hands do when I'm walking outdoors - just assume it's because they are swinging at my sides and gravity is making it hard for blood/fluid to get back up. I don't notice it on a treadmill or other cardio equipment in the gym.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just found 2 good articles on it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-swelling/AN01403 - From the Mayo Clinic

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/why-do-my-hands-swell-up-when-i-walk - MSN Health

Hope that helps. Basically it is fairly common, usually not dangerous, and has something to do with the blood flow changing during working out (the articles explain in much better than I do)
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    Depending on your workout, your hands tend to swell when you dont have your arms above your heart (elbows bent at a 90 degree angle)...like walking on the treadmill for a long time and keeping your hands mainly at your sides will cause them to swell. I hike and have to use hiking/walking poles to keep my hands up or they swell like crazy. I think feet naturally swell when you are standing on them longer than usual. but yes check your sodium up your water and if you have diabetes that will be an issue too with circulation so make sure you check that with your Dr.
  • Roxstar75
    Roxstar75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with water retention a bit. My hands always do & my ankles do when there isn't enough support in my shoes. I think it's normal, but you may want to ask your doctor.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks, got some great answers. My hands have always done that, especially if I walk for a long time. Will try drinking more water. Did not drink enough plain water today. Drank mostly tea, could be the caffeine.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    noticed the same thing at the track the other night :)