Vibram FiveFingers Shoes

Options
Has anyone tried those Vibram FiveFingers Shoes? A salesperson at REI told me that the "Komodo's" would be great for a Zumba class that I start this week. I tried a pair on - they felt GREAT - like I was barefoot! But - how do they hold up in an exercise class, normal day-to-day use? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have several pairs. I've run no less than 300 miles (not in a row! lol) in the KSOs and they're still holding up fine. The Komodos appear to be a good multi-use shoe. I say go for it :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibram KSO's once per week. I can grind out a 10K run in them and yes it's like running barefoot.

I wear them to strengthen muscles in my feet and ankles that don't get worked in regular shoes. It helps correct my stride as well as you can't heel strike while running with these on. It forces you to be more of a midsole/forefoot style of runner and cuts down on some of the resultant injuries.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a pair for a couple of months, and they work great for me. I hate wearing shoes, though and these don't even feel like I'm wearing any. You just need to get them a little tight (recommended to me by the guy at the store where I got them) instead of a little loose, and give them a week or two to get stretched to feet, otherwise, if they are loose, then your feet might move around in them in exercise, and that can cause blisters(like any other shoe).
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I run in the Vibram Bikilas about twice a week, and I'm going to do my first 5K race in them next weekend! I just love them and find that they do really help strengthen my feet and correct my form. I would agree that you need to get them tighter rather than looser - I wish I had bought mine a half size smaller because they do stretch out a bit. I've never gotten a blister but can feel them move around more than I'd like. Regardless, I love them more than anything I've ever put on my feet!
  • krystico
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Glad to hear 'buy a size smaller' - I was waivering between the snug pair and the 'next size up'. Time for me to go shopping!
  • Linzmyers
    Linzmyers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a snug pair!! Buy one that fit you comfortably with maybe a little space. After you wash them a few times they shrink a tab...so don't buy them tight. I also have the komodos and love love them. I never workout without them anymore. Good luck!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Just promise me you won't wear them out and about while running errands, etc!!!!!! I've heard nothing but great things about them when you're running, but from a fashion perspective...... um, no! haha!
  • mrllcoach
    Options
    I have been running in mine for about 3 months now and I try to run 4 to 5 days a week 3 miles each time with a longer run on Sat. It took my feet about a month to get used to them now I love them and I have no foot issues at all and I am 6'4" weigh 330(but going down) My wifey loves hers to and uses them for jillian michaels tapes. Just a warning your calves will get really sore. Good Luck
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Just promise me you won't wear them out and about while running errands, etc!!!!!! I've heard nothing but great things about them when you're running, but from a fashion perspective...... um, no! haha!

they're kind of a pain to put on so if you aren't working out I dont' see why you'd bother, but I am more than happy to wear mine when I stop on errands on my way to-from working out. People like to ask about them as they are odd looking and from a fashion perspective, who cares? I'm going to the grocery store, not a cocktail party.

but even from a fashion perspective maybe they're a win! I mean people do notice them -- no one notices your plain old white cross trainers!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I love them for walking. I did a lot of long walks in Italy over the summer with them, but I have tried running in them a couple of times, and caused myself quite bad knee pain for a while after. I am actually giving up on barefoot shoes (vibrams and inov8s) for distance running. I have very high arches and they don't support me enough, so I am prone to injury.
  • Bouneschlupp
    Bouneschlupp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love them for walking. I did a lot of long walks in Italy over the summer with them, but I have tried running in them a couple of times, and caused myself quite bad knee pain for a while after. I am actually giving up on barefoot shoes (vibrams and inov8s) for distance running. I have very high arches and they don't support me enough, so I am prone to injury.

For me it's the exact opposite, since I use them I have no more knee pain. I have KSOs and do agree on the fact that they get a little loose. Besides for my training I use them also if I'm working in the garden, which really feels great to me.