how to stay motivated?

Options
We have all experinced at one time or another that you just dont want to work out. I go strong for two weeks and than I just quit. I dont know if that I get bored to fast of my work out or Im just to eager to see results.

How do you stay motivated?

Im really thinking of paying some one to kick my a** to make sure I work out every day :P

Replies

• skinnyjeansss
    Options
    i recently got a friend to work out with me. she's not afraid to make me feel guilty when i start mentioning how i don't want to go to the gym. also, i keep a pair of my jeans i plan on being in by the end of this year hanging up in my room so i have to see them every single day. it does help!
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    if youre not serious and want to do it, then dont pay a trainer. if you think the trainer will motivate you to continue without him or her, then go for it...the trainer can't be there for you daily (unless youre rich of course) and you need to work out more than just that one time he or she sees you a week (or however many times youc an afford) does that make sense?

anyways, staying motivated is a suckfest for me. do you belong to a gym? if you do you could totally map out your month (or week if you want to take it slow) and look at the classes and say i'll take x, y, z and ill work on the machines on a, b, c and that way youre switching it up, not getting burned out.

im suckin' at the advice without babbling tonight. sorry.
  • kennysrush
    Options
    Make sure you mix up your workout. Varying the type of exercise keeps your muscles guessing and I've heard is better for you. It also gives you different days to look forward to.
  • eliza_e03
    Options
    y hubby is in real good shape... so i feel bad when i see he has almost a flat nice tummy and i got that belly lol so he keeps me motivated to look good for....
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I try to mix up my workouts and I just lie the way I feel since I have been going. My motivation is to look good for my wife, be a role model for my family, and be able to back up my co workers when they need me, my famiy and workers are my biggest motivators. I also know how I'll feel if I don't go vs how I'll feel if I skip. I am always glad after I go workout, even if it's just 20 minutes. That used to be my excuse, oh I don't have tine, so might as well not bother. So stay strong and continue towards that goal.
  • TallLatina
    Options
    I'm doing Max Workouts . com 90 day program. I am on week # 5. It is pretty tough, but I feel stronger by the day. The fact that I can actually know when it will be over motivates me to stay on. I have not missed a day yet. The best part of it is that there are no crunches at all, and every day the workouts are 30 min or less. I really love it.

To challenge myself even more, I signed up for a bootcamp (Gladiator) to start right after I'm done with this 90 day program. This bootcamp is four weeks long and it will put to test everything I learned during this program.

When I started I had never, ever done a push-up, now after five weeks I am doing 10. My goal is to do at least one pull up at the end of the 90 days.

Perhaps if you set yourself an attainable goal, with an actual date of completion, that will motivate you too to stay on it until the end. I don't like open ended situations. I like to know when it will be over, and that keeps me going. After the bootcamp, I plan to sign up for something more fun, like Zumba classes or something like that.

Hope this helps
    Jean
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    have you tried the 30 day shred? After 10 days it switches up the work out. It was actually something I stuck to..
  • angiemb87
    angiemb87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to keep doing something new almost on a daily basis, or I get super irritated and bored. Here is last weeks sessions as an example.

Monday: Zumba Flat Abs
    Tuesday: Lower Body Strength (Squats, Plie Squats, Ballet Glute Isolations, Ski Jumps. 8 reps each, 3 sets in a circuit) Upper Body Strength (Bicep Curls, Overhead Press, Chest Press, and Tricep Kickback. 1 set each of 20 reps. )
    Wednesday: Walked for 45 minutes on lunch break with coworker and gossiped about stuff ( I find the gossip helps...I know it's bad, but goodness, getting into some celebrities dirt kept my mind of how much my legs wanted to stop) And when I got home, Zumba Fitness Live Dvd. Awesome.
    Thursday: Random Circuit my friend made up that we did together at work. Included strength and then cardio. Sweat was amazing.
    Friday: Zumba Sculpt and Tone
    Saturday: Alternate Jogging 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds for 10 minutes. Then 15 minutes walking. Later that day...walked the dog, took the kids to the park and played with them, had a mini dance party and did the cupid shuffle, the cha cha slide, the electric slide, the superman, etc, plus taught my sister how to salsa dance for 30 minutes. (I mean, honestly, the dancing was about an hour of cardio that didn't even feel like working out, but we were sweating up a storm!!)
    Sunday: Sexy Stretch from crunch Fitness with Cat Chiarelli. LOVED it, and a rest day with a hot bubble bath!

This week is already different, but the one thing that I keep constant is the strength 2x a week. I will never let go of that. I would suggest dancing for you. IF you set your alarm every morning for 30 minutes early and have 10 awesome dancing songs that you love (mix it up) and just GIG OUT to your favorite tunes, that's 30 minutes of cardio anyway!! you can listen to different songs so it feels new, OR my new favorite is using onDemand (or xfinity now I guess) with Comcast to watch music videos and learn how to do the stuff. Takes me forever, and I'm working out super hard trying to do these moves, and before long, I'm an hour in, soaked with sweat, and feeling awesome.

Some of my favorites have been
    Ciara -Ride
    Beyonce: Get me Bodied, Single Ladies, Girls Who Run The World...anything fast paced by Beyonce really.
    anything with awesome dancing..
    Give it a try, might help keep you focused, if you have exercise ADD like I do! lol.