Counting Carbs? Fat?

Options
After you got the hang of counting calories did you start keeping track of carbs and fat too? I hardly, if ever go over in either category but periodically go over in carbs. How important is it to stay under in the carb allowance if I am always under in calories?

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein are most important, if you are doing good on those the fats and carbs arent going to be falling too far out of place
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    ^^ what he said is not always true! It's not always about calories in and calories out... the nutrional value of foods are important.

For some people a low carb diet is necessary to lose weight no matter how many calories they eat.. I am one of those people... I can eat 1200 calories and eat 150-200 carbs and not lose a single lb, and than eat 1500 calories and under 100 carbs and lose weight consistently. (Also keep in mind MFP has a very HIGH carb value and LOW Protein value) .. YES PROTEIN IS IMPORTANT and you need far more than MFP suggests. However with Low Carb comes protein.

With a low carb diet your fat intake is naturally going to be higher, since your body learns to use fat as fuel you need that fat to keep your energy levels up.

No matter what you decide to do, it has to be right for you. Not everyone can eat the same way, or have the same amount of XX... and it's not just about calories in and calories out.
  • ajprivet
    ajprivet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also keep track of sugar too, for what it's worth.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    Everyone is different. That is one of the things that has caused so much confusion and a very disappointing rollercoaster of up and down weight for so many people. I agree with the above post that it is not so much about the calories in and out (though this is important for some) it can be more important metabolically to get the right kind of calories for your body. For me to be able to lose weight I have to really restrict my carbs, all carbs. My body runs best off of a moderate intake of good fats and high protien. I think that you should experiement with what you can do consistantly for the long haul and what your body responds to best. It has to be a life style change to keep the weight off and not yo yo back and forth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I also want to note, just like your workout routine, you should cycle the percentages of carbs/fats/proteins. For me, I am finding if I go over 200 g's of protein, my kidney's hurt due to over working (I have a 2800 calorie diet) so I tend to eat more fats and carbs (try for only complex carbs). I know women with PCOS need a very low carb diet regardless of the amount of calories. And keep in mind, fat doesnt' make you fat. There are tons of healthy fats out there that improve organ and brain function.