Favorite Trader Joe’s items?

Options
Hey y’all.

The other week, I asked about healthy & inexpensive snacks and received some great feedback.

Someone mentioned Trader Joe’s’ sunflower seeds and will be grabbing those this weekend. While thinking about my shopping list for the trip, it dawned on me that while I adore TJ’s, I tend to not explore as much as I should.

Instead of googling, I thought it’d be fun & wise to get some ideas from the MFP community.

I’m primarily seeking healthy options and also know that TJ’s also has some amazing things that are only healthy-ish, which I also welcome. ☺️

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd
    Dorot frozen ginger or garlic cubes
    Roasted corn (frozen)
    Roasted bell pepper and onion slices (frozen)
    Chicken fried rice (I supplement with additional chicken and cauliflower rice)
    Meringue cookies
    Maple butter (an autumn product)
    Stir fry vegetables
    Tomato paste in tube

• catsandtea111
    catsandtea111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 thank you for sharing! A lot of new things to try. Do you mind sharing what you like to add the garlic &/or ginger cubes to? I love both flavors and had no idea about these.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The first two of these aren't necessarily good "diet" snacks, but I use them as healthier substitutes and they can fit into a calorie-counting diet as long as you don't go crazy with quantity. The third is just a straight-up treat. :)

1. Flax Seed "tortilla" chips: have about the same calories as regular tortilla chips, but have more protein and other nutrients. No one else seems to have anything like these. Aldi has something similar but these are the best.

2. "Just Mangoes" dried mango slices with no sugar or sulfites or anything added. Soooo sweet and tart, it's like eating candy, and quite chewy so satisfying, but so hard to eat just a little!

3. Peppermint Jo-Jos: TJ's version of Oreos but with ground up candy canes in the filling. Only available around Christmas (thank goodness!).
  • catsandtea111
    Options
    @OnceAndFutureAthlete thank you! I also completely forgot about the flax seed chips & loved them, excited to bring back into my cart! 😋

I’m also all for the not so diet-y things to have added in sporadically. ☺️
  • meganv2017
    meganv2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They have some great fresh pastas- lemon zest ravioli is my favorite! Also a good place to grab slivered almonds and chia seeds.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    my favorite tjoe's food is their frozen cauliflower bowls. 280 calories for the bowl, low in sodium, pretty good for protein, carbs are fairly low although not keto. a very tasty, roasty-tasting carmelized onion sauce that surprised me since i'm not a huge fan of onion. lots of textures. and this meal doesn't taste like cauliflower, a plus since i don't like it.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Organic tofu, Red butter and baby green leaf lettuce bags, Organic K-cup coffee, Meyer Lemons, Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • springlering62
    Options
    @springlering62 thank you for sharing! A lot of new things to try. Do you mind sharing what you like to add the garlic &/or ginger cubes to? I love both flavors and had no idea about these.

The garlic is as good as fresh pressed, so just about anything: spaghettis sauce, lasagna, enchilada sauce, carnitas.

Several nights a week I make pumpkin pudding for dessert. It tastes like pumpkin pie without the crust.
    1 box sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    1 can puréed pumpkin
    1 serving plain low fat Greek yogurt (170gr)
    1 c ice water
    Shake of pumpkin pie spice
    Liberal dose of cinnamon and powdered ginger
    Squirt of vanilla
    2 cubes of ginger

Mix well and refrigerate for half an hour.

I divide into three servings and eat it with canned whipped cream (15cal per serving) and a tsp of honey ginger crystals (I prefer Victoria Taylor brand but Amazon and my local international grocery sell another brand). It would probably be good with a tbsp if graham cracker crumbs, too, but I love the tang of ginger.

bghtsyyjwngu.jpeg

Also TJ’s citrusy shampoo is very good. Don’t care for the minty one. It feels like it burns, to me.

I also like buying their little lavender dryer sachets to keep in drawers. I refresh them with a few drops of oil every year or so. They last for years.
  • springlering62
    Options
    The lemon curd is not low cal, but a little goes a long way. I make lemon cake batter pancakes for breakfast sometimes and can make do with half a serving of curd skimmed on them.

But I found an easy recipe for curd so may try to make some lo-cal subs when this jar runs out.

The meringues are lo-cal and low fat but high sugar. Hard to quit at one serving but not deadly if I go over a single serving (like last night!)
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I really only recently started shopping at Trader Joe's a bit more, as I had been on an elimination diet and I could only have certain ingredients at a time without additives. Does anyone know how hard it is to just find coconut or oat "milk" without any additional ingredients?! Their chicken broth has all regular ingredients, no caramel color or stuff like "organic yeast extract" (which I've learned is really a form of MSG). I just bought some freeze-dried broccoli, but apparently it's only 3 servings in a bag! Their nuts and seeds section is great, as again, you can find them without added ingredients.

If you have an Aldi's nearby, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking them out, too. They have these coconut caramel crisps that had only a few ingredients (so I could have them fairly early on in my diet) and I think their snap pea crisps are better than the name brand. Love Aldi's, just wish they were a little closer!
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love trader Joe's kung pao cauliflower, I buy it every time go there, I also grab whatever " nutrition" bar ( cliff,lara, ect.) Is on sale at the time.
  • Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I get their Chicken Burrito Bowls. It has a good amount of protein and fiber. They use black beans which is my preference.

Also Breaded Chicken Tenderloin Breasts. It microwaves in 2 minutes and is pretty good. It appears to be less processed than other breaded chickens.

The Almond Butter is less expensive there than anywhere else I shop. The grocery stores seem to figure it is a premium food, so they overprice it.

Trader Joe's Peanut butter: I normally get Teddy Peanut Butter, but I think Trader Joe's is "more natural" because it is not as thick. One may like it better, but would be personal preference. I am okay with both. I think it is $2

Adding: Grass Fed Angus Beef Burgers (Frozen) Not a health food, but I do get these here. 290 Calories 23 Grams of fat, and 19 grams protein. Probably not much better than any other burger, but like any burger, the can be a small part of a balanced diet. At least I put it on a whole wheat roll!

I get their bagged walnuts and cashews, but they have all the others too, as well as trail mixes with nuts and and dried fruit.

They also have a delicious frozen "Tiramisu Torte", but I haven't gotten that in a while.
  • catsandtea111
    Options
    Thanks, @frank19556! We share some taste and you reminded me of a couple things along with an intro to tiramisu torte - that sounds amazing! I’m more of a savory versus sweet person and have been wanting to keep something sweet in my freezer for when the sporadic craving comes up! 😋
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ew mint.

I came back to be a rebel and list the "not healthy" items too. :)

Mini chocolate chip cookies
    Schoolhouse cookies
    Brownie crisps
    Lentil curls
    White cheddar corn puffs
    100 calorie chocolate bars
    Mini peanut butter cups
    Cookie butter!!!!
  • Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @frank19556! We share some taste and you reminded me of a couple things along with an intro to tiramisu torte - that sounds amazing! I’m more of a savory versus sweet person and have been wanting to keep something sweet in my freezer for when the sporadic craving comes up! 😋

On the torte, you have to be careful if you defrost in the microwave, it can get too soft. It is in whole pie form, so if I want one piece I cut it and only partially defrost in micro, then put in the fridge for an hour. Best to take it out in enough time and just put it in the fridge. Just a bit of caution for you.

In the treat category, they used to have a chocolate mouse cake that was just as delicious. I haven't seen it in a while, but I would cheat for it if I saw it again - once.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Umami seasoning blend. No calories, low sodium. Great on steak, or (as I discovered tonight) leftover couscous. OMG!
  • catsandtea111
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ew mint.

I came back to be a rebel and list the "not healthy" items too. :)

Mini chocolate chip cookies
    Schoolhouse cookies
    Brownie crisps
    Lentil curls
    White cheddar corn puffs
    100 calorie chocolate bars
    Mini peanut butter cups
    Cookie butter!!!!

@glassyo - thank you! While I’m seeking healthy overall, the treats at TJ’s can’t be beat and you listed new to me options.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I buy Unexpected Cheddar cheese (shredded), Perfect Foods bars, almond milk, K cup coffee, avocados (best price anywhere), dark chocolate, half & half for coffee, almond flour tortillas (texture like regular flour tortillas), organic apples, wool dryer balls, trail mix, GF bread, potato chips on occasion and ice cream. I normally don't buy much ice cream but I love that it contains only ingredients that I can pronounce. Actually, read the ingredients on their products. There are very little if any additives!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    I buy Unexpected Cheddar cheese (shredded), Perfect Foods bars, almond milk, K cup coffee, avocados (best price anywhere), dark chocolate, half & half for coffee, almond flour tortillas (texture like regular flour tortillas), organic apples, wool dryer balls, trail mix, GF bread, potato chips on occasion and ice cream. I normally don't buy much ice cream but I love that it contains only ingredients that I can pronounce. Actually, read the ingredients on their products. There are very little if any additives!!

donttdoitdontdoitdontdoit

@catsandtea111 LOL You're welcome! I'm actually someone who thinks all food is beneficial in some way unless you're allergic to it or you outright die after eating it.