Tips For Increasing Calorie Intake?

jagillham
jagillham Posts: 19 Member
edited July 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I'm 34, 6ft, 157lb & male. Always been skinny, even when did no exercise. Since March 2020 I've really got into my running, around 30-40 miles per week (marathon training).

What I've noticed already within a few days of using MFP is that I'm running at a constant calorie deficit for meals. I've lost a few lb since running, but guess I didn't have all that much to lose to start with. Historically I probably made up some of the shortfall as I can happily demolish a family sized chocolate bag/bar in one go! :D

My resting need is 2090, but as I'm getting through 3500+ calories a week on exercise my actual daily need is around is anywhere 2600!

Today for breakfast I had a bowl of cereal, and a bagel a little later. Lunch was scrabbled eggs on 2 slices of toast. Dinner gammon steak, chips and peas. All fairly good sized potion sizes I'd say, and it comes to 1600. Without turning to the sweets / junk... I'm struggling to see how I can squeeze another 1000 calories a day in. Is it simply a case of going for massive portions of fairly healthy meals?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks,

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Nuts and nut butters are high in fat so that's an easy way to pack in the calories - a generous spoonful of peanut butter could get you in spitting distance of 500 calories, easily. Full-fat dairy too, that's a good way to add calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    You might like this thread from over in the "Gaining Weight and Body Building" part of the Community:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest

The first posts are quite old now, but the information still applies, and the person who started the thread is still here & active.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'd like to suggest healthy fats, since you don't mention eating any. Nuts and nut butters, as mentioned above. Also: olive oil, avocado, fatty fish.
  • SL62814
    SL62814 Posts: 22 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'd like to suggest healthy fats, since you don't mention eating any. Nuts and nut butters, as mentioned above. Also: olive oil, avocado, fatty fish.

Even though I prefer to cook in olive oil, it is much better than other oils.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited July 2021
    SL62814 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

Even though I prefer to cook in olive oil, it is much better than other oils.

Many vegetable oils are good, olive oil just happens to be one of the most frequently used oils (hence using it as an example). I wasn't necessarily referring to cooking BTW (could be a salad dressing), the more unsaturated an oil is, the least resistent it often is to heat (for example oils high in omega 3).
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    100g of organic raisins will give you a good energy boost for running, also restore your glycogen stores and come in at about 295 calories.

You will be running a PB in no time :smile: