Getting stronger but scale numbers aren’t changing?

Options
Just a quick question: I don’t put a lot of emphasis on the scale at all and rarely check it but sometimes I do, and all I look at is my fat and muscle % I don’t really care for the weight either. over the last couple of months I’ve been pushing more weight in the gym and I can see a difference in my body and see more definition, and I’m also lifting heavier. but I’m just confused at how the % don’t reflect that? I thought that since I can see I’m getting more toned and can lift heavier, my muscle % would be going up but it isn’t really. Nor is my fat % changing much so it’s not like I’m losing a lot of fat right now either? Just wondering if this is normal or is anyone has any insight on this. Thanks!

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Well, frankly I would not put much stock in those measurements on a bathroom scale. I have read (not sure how true it is, etc) that those measurements are more likely calculations based on weight so that could be why you are not seeing much change in them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The scale is bogus when it comes to body composition percentages. Much if evidence on this.

Strength gains does equate muscle gains. Frankly higher intensities does equate strength gains neccessary either.

If you are seeing improvements that mirror your goals I wouldn't validate or negate them based on a gadget scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question: I don’t put a lot of emphasis on the scale at all and rarely check it but sometimes I do, and all I look at is my fat and muscle % I don’t really care for the weight either. over the last couple of months I’ve been pushing more weight in the gym and I can see a difference in my body and see more definition, and I’m also lifting heavier. but I’m just confused at how the % don’t reflect that? I thought that since I can see I’m getting more toned and can lift heavier, my muscle % would be going up but it isn’t really. Nor is my fat % changing much so it’s not like I’m losing a lot of fat right now either? Just wondering if this is normal or is anyone has any insight on this. Thanks!

A scale can't actually measure body composition. It uses bioimpedence which is pretty much a gimmick to sell scales and they just aren't accurate at all. Consumer Reports actually stopped reviewing them years ago because they're all bogus. Scales are really good at measuring the earth's gravitational pull on your body, and that's about it.