7am-3p shift

Options
I'm starting new job schedule 7am-3p and I'm concerned about breakfast. I'm not hungry at 6 before work but I can't eat at work unless it's quick snacks in desk. I'm just worried I'll be starving for lunch at 11:30.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to eat before work even if you're not hungry.

Or get up extra early and work out to have an appetite before work.

Or try to get used to not eating until lunch. Lots of people who practice IF do this.

Or explore quick snacks you can eat at your desk? Protein bars, granola bars, a premade shake or smoothie, a premade breakfast sandwich?
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started work at 6 and just could not eat before then. Most days, it did not prove to be a problem as i was doung IF before it became a thing. A cup of coffee or other drink was usually enough.

However, keeping a bag of nuts- almonds or walnuts-and/or a protein shake, or apple with natural PB was a real lifesaver on days where i needed something before lunch break.

FYI In the US, most companies allow for a 15min break in a 4 hr stretch. Some even require it. I found this break was useful whether eating or not and even as little as 3 minutes to walk into a different environment and drink water helped me stay fresh and centered. (Medical field)
  • LauraPelt
    LauraPelt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work shifts in a convenience store. So we don't get any breaks at all, and it's eat what you can, when you can. Some days I'm in at 5am, others 10pm. What works for me is baked oatmeal for the early days. I make it in mini muffin tins and portion the little cakes into a zip lock or container. It's easy to pop one in my mouth when sweeping or doing other "not in front of a customer" things.
    As mentioned, healthy nuts/snack mix is easy to eat in a minute or two as are grapes. I make granola bars too, as they also are easy and not too hard to fit in.
    Premade smoothies are also one of my go-to's. I can sip one the way to work or pop it in the cooler til later. If a blender is too noisy for the rest of the household that early, there's a website that has a lot of recipes for smoothies. Some are make ahead and blend, then freeze and thaw at room temp. It's called Meraki Lane and it's one of my favorite sites.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    babyb2022 wrote: »
    I'm starting new job schedule 7am-3p and I'm concerned about breakfast. I'm not hungry at 6 before work but I can't eat at work unless it's quick snacks in desk. I'm just worried I'll be starving for lunch at 11:30.

Any suggestions?

I often don't eat breakfast at all, but I've also practiced IF on and off for decades. When I do bring breakfast to the office, it's usually 2 boiled eggs in a snack ziplock bag and a square of individually wrapped Tillamook sharp cheddar for basically a small snack like breakfast.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My go-to's are usually a banana, two hard boiled eggs or a yogurt.

Something small and easy even if I'm not really hungry.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    On my days off when I wake at 8-9, I usually am not even hungry until lunch.

On work days when I wake at 5, I grab a Special-K protein bar to eat on the car ride to work. Protein and fiber to curb hunger cravings, and chocolate-peanut butter to say "sorry you have to wake so early."
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30 - 3:30. Same as you, I'm not hungry before work. I pack protein bars to eat while at my desk to get me through till lunch. I really like the Belvita breakfast bars. Some of them tend to hold me over till lunch.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I work 8am-3:30pm. I'm a bit weird in that on a weekend day I'm hungry and make a big breakfast immediately when I wake up (unless I'm going on a run in which case I run fasted, and make food when I get home); however, on a work day - I am simply not going to get up any earlier to eat. I want to sleep as late as I can, get up, shower/dress and get in my car. =D

If you could make something to grab/go in the morning that would work. Egg bites (surely you can find a recipe for those high protein/egg muffin things). Waffles/pancakes (Kodiak is a brand that has higher protein in it).

Some things that I often do re: breakfast/morning food:
    1. I sometimes just don't eat until lunch...maybe my body has just gotten used to me doing this but I don't seem to feel ravenous by 11:30 most days even if I don't eat anything in the morning.
    2. Sometimes I'll grab a banana and 2 hard boiled eggs. Eat the banana in my car, then eat the eggs when I get to my desk. I keep hard boiled eggs in my fridge constantly. Sometimes I'll also grab some cuties instead or in addition to the banana.
    3. I keep protein bars, Larabars, Duke's shorty sausages, and nuts (right now I have chili roasted pistachios) in my office/desk and have a 'snack' as breakfast.
    4. If you find that you actually cannot make it to your lunchtime without being very hungry --- try increasing the calorie amount of your dinner the previous day and see if that helps. I actually mostly only eat 2 full meals per day but they are higher in calories than most people's 'meals'.
    5. I also have purchased a drink mix which is called BSN True Mass -- which is a 'weight gainer' (I imagine for people lifting weights and needing to get in more calories in general)...but I have found that it's quick/easy/easy to mix/tastes good as a meal replacement. It's not just a protein powder, it also has carbs/fat. 3 scoops is a 'serving' and is ~700 calories but I typically use 2 scoops in my 16oz shaker bottle.
  • dottiekay2000
    dottiekay2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work 7a-330pm. I fast until 1130am and I eat a great healthy lunch. Coffee and lots of water will get you through.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My usual go-to is two hard boiled eggs and a banana. Sometimes yogurt.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres no rule saying you have to eat breakfast. i dont. my husband doesnt. lots of people dont. neither of us are breakfast people to begin with.

pack snack bars (like protein bars) or other things you can have in your desk if you do need something around a typical breakfast time. fruit, granola, whatever.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I was never hungry before work and used to bring in a substantial smoothie to drink once I got hungry.
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don’t like to eat that early either. I find that a green smoothie (1/4 head lettuce, ice, 1 cup coconut milk, 2 TBSP just-peanut peanut butter, 1 TBSP flaxseed, 2 bananas) goes down great and is very filling. I drink it while I am getting ready for work. Hope this helps.