How to: breast reduction

nossmf
nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
Back in November of 2019, a drunk driver smashed into my wife's SUV while she idled at a red light. She avoided serious injury and need for surgery, but the last year and a half have been filled with several types of pain management for the herniated disc in her lower back, from medication to physical therapy to chiropractic sessions to laser ablation of the nerves. Yet while we're managing the pain, it never truly goes away completely, and we think the weight of her chest is at least partially to blame. My wife has always been well endowed, and after giving birth four times she's even more so now than when I met her. Twenty-five year old me thought this was a great thing; but after nineteen years of marriage, my concern is for her health and quality of life.

Before starting this thread, I did a search for previous threads discussing the topic of breast reduction surgery. While I was able to find multiple threads over the years on the subject, invariably the discussion was limited to WHY, but not HOW. I have several questions about HOW to get this ball started, including:

1. Whom do we talk with to get this process started... her primary care physician? OB/GYN? Plastic surgeon?
2. Since this is quality of life related, how do we get insurance involved to see if they can/will pay for part/all of the procedure?
3. We have a lawyer handling the paperwork for a potential lawsuit against the individual driving. Should we get him involved in making the other guy's auto insurance pay for the procedure?

Moderators, if this isn't the correct forum for this discussion, I apologize.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    1. Her GP could be an option but I'd be ready to drop at least $500 in plastic surgeon consultation fees. Many of them tend to apply the consult fee to any surgery you end up getting with them. If she's comfortable with the tedium of the process, I'd suggest seeing three docs at a minimum. Which doc to chose? Try realself.com and have her browse away. NOTE: in some jurisdictions, breast reduction may be covered by your province/state because it can be deemed a medical issue (as opposed to an aesthetic one). There is criteria for this and some plastic surgeons specialize in this area...but wait times can be long as they tend to prioritize their private patients.
    2. In my line of work (not cosmetic surgery but healthcare adjacent), I generally encourage people to grab their fav bevvie, and a copy of their insurance policy booklet, then to sit down for as long as it takes to read it. Line for line. As boring as it is, there are bound to be savings in there that you don't know about. Furthermore, there are usually criteria to access eligibility for coverage so you may as well find out what that is beforehand (yes, even before shelling out for those consulting fees)
    3. That's a legal question and nowhere near my wheelhouse. Doesn't hurt to ask? 🤷🏿‍♀️

Best of health to your wife
  • Lady_ovthe_lakes
    Lady_ovthe_lakes Posts: 74 Member
    I would discuss it with her primary care and a spinal surgeon to see if they think it would help.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    I had reduction for medical reasons, I would start with her GP and get referred to a good, reputable plastic surgeon. Insurance will cover it if it is a medical necessity, and the plastic surgeon will deal with that. One of the requirements at the time I had mine was that they take 1lb off of each side for insurance to pay, but he couldn't quite make the 1 lb, so he asked me on follow up about pain, (I had had excruciating pain in one of my shoulders that was completely gone immediately after surgery). I am also very short, 5'0" and have scoliosis, so it wasn't hard for him to convince the insurance company that it was medically necessary.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2021
    A friend of mine is going through this now. I don't know all of the specifics, but I do know that she has consulted her insurance provider. Her pre approval for surgery was recently rejected by the insurance company, b/c it was not deemed "medically necessary." Her breasts aren't "big enough." She does not have any other medical issues that I know of that might contribute to it being medically necessary.

If she wants the surgery regardless of the coverage or cost, I would suggest starting the surgeon hunt first. My sister consulted 3 plastic surgeons before settling on one for a body lift. It was definitely not an overnight process. She can work on the insurance while looking for a surgeon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I have a couple of casual friends who had reductions. One went through a process somewhat like the post I quoted below: She did multiple rounds, trying to convince her insurance company that her original breast weight/volume was causing health problems, i.e., musculoskeletal issues such as back pain. It required requesting approval, appealing denials, getting more doctor statements/evidence, etc., but she was finally successful.

The other had reduction consequent to lumpectomy for breast cancer - the major lumpectomy left her affected breast much smaller, and irregular in shape. Under those circumstances, in the US, insurance coverage is much simpler, because there are legal requirements to treat breast reconstruction as a part of the cancer treatment, from a health insurance perspective.
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I had reduction for medical reasons, I would start with her GP and get referred to a good, reputable plastic surgeon. Insurance will cover it if it is a medical necessity, and the plastic surgeon will deal with that. One of the requirements at the time I had mine was that they take 1lb off of each side for insurance to pay, but he couldn't quite make the 1 lb, so he asked me on follow up about pain, (I had had excruciating pain in one of my shoulders that was completely gone immediately after surgery). I am also very short, 5'0" and have scoliosis, so it wasn't hard for him to convince the insurance company that it was medically necessary.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Thanks for your sympathy. Yeah, my wife was sitting at a red light when a small truck driving 45+ slammed into her from behind. Our suburban was virtually unscathed...the impact was centered on our tow hitch, all we needed was a new bumper. My daughter in the middle seat had minor whiplash; my wife in the driver's seat was twisted around at the moment of impact, leading to torque related injuries to her hip and shoulder, and a herniated disc in her back. The drunk tried at first to convince my wife not to call the police; when she began to dial, he got back in his totaled truck and took off. However, a Good Samaritan witness followed the guy, calling the police to help guide them in. Word has it once the cops managed to force this guy off the road, he took a swing at the first officer to come within reach. When my wife got a court summons to testify at this guy's trial, the list of offenses he was facing was almost an entire page long. (Court hasn't happened yet.)

My wife is tall (5'10") and has scoliosis, which has only compounded the issue. We'd spoken a couple times about getting reduction prior to the accident, citing some back and shoulder pain, but we never had a doctor's consult prior to the accident.

We hired a lawyer, initially not with the idea of suing for damages but just to handle all the paperwork and interact with the other guy's insurance to handle our expenses. To date most of our bills have been paid for by the insurance (only a couple smaller ones by us), but there's apparently a two year statute of limitations to file against the company, so our lawyer is finalizing a complete package which will include documentation of injuries, future care required, expenses to be paid as well as (potentially) some unknown amount for "pain and suffering." No idea if we'll actually end up with anything in pocket after this is all said and done....as long as all the medical bills are paid, anything extra will be gratefully accepted.

I read one entry on a previous thread where somebody mentioned a loan they were able to take out to pay for their reduction over time. If all else fails we can look into something along those lines.