crockpot and ground turkey

Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
edited October 2 in Recipes
When you are using a recipe that calls for ground turkey, do you brown or throw in raw? There are mixed reviews online...

Thought I'd see what you guys thought!

ETA: Oh, its extra lean too, so not much fat :)

Replies

• I'd put it in raw.... just me though! ;)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I always brown first, unless it says otherwise. That way you're getting some of the fat out, and you're extra sure that it's thoroughly cooked!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Hungry Girl did a crockpot recipe on her show a couple of episodes back and she put it in raw.
  • Ali_TSO
    I feel like it's ok to put it in raw........

I did a recipe this morning before leaving for work....it was a layered casserole: Hashbrowns, ground turkey, mushrooms and onions, sauce, and repeat. Topped with cheese. I just broke it up into small dime size pieces with my hands and layered it. I think it'll turn out fine on low for 8-9 hrs. Wish I had a meat therm to check it.
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    I always brown and have never seen a recipe that didn't say to brown first, even casseroles in the oven, but that is just my personal opinion ;-)
  • Ali_TSO
    I know girly, you're the reason for this post... I never questioned it before, but now I'm all curious. Maybe it's a "to each their own" kinda deal..... who knows?
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Depends on how much time you have. I'd always brown it, but if you don't wanna deal with it, just throw it in raw. Browning helps to give another texture to the meat. Also more flavor, those "brown bits" is where it's at!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/blogs/dinner/archive/2007/10/17/it-s-crock-pot-stew-weather-to-brown-or-not-to-brown.aspx

Here is an article I found. From a few other articles that I read, the big reason is for flavor.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    After 8-9 hours your food will 100% be cooked. No need to check it. Most meat is completely cooked after 1.5 hours, depending on the size (this is not alway true for a whole turkey or big cuts of beef). The reason most meat is cooked longer is to make it more tender, ie ribs and pork shoulder.
  • I put my meats in raw. But, jtbaddison is right about the recall. Be careful:grumble:
  • Ali_TSO
    I'm good on the recall, I looked at the full list of products. :)

ANd yeah, Sar, I read that.........good article. I think when it's mixed with potatoes and cheese and everything else, it won't matter. But we'll see tonight!!!!!!!!!
  • If I can cook an entire roast in 4 hours on low.....it'll cook your ground turkey just fine :)

We actually throw in frozen ground beef to make a taco dip for parties and it cooks it through in about 2 hours on high
  • It's a matter of preference really. When you brown the reason is two fold, 1) To eliminate the excess fat that would bulid up in the crock pot, browning renders out much of the excess fat that you would capture. 2) Flavor, Believe it or not it really does make a difference. Browning meat allows you to put a slight "sear " on the outside of the meat which is basically a concentration of flavors. This is called the Maillard reaction, its when the sugars and amino acids carmelize and bond to eachother giving the meat more flavor ( a slight crust). I personally brown mine to add an extra layer of flavor.

If you are cooking it all day, regardless if you put it in raw or not. As long as your dish is 165 degrees in the middle, (this is the FDA standard for fully cooked poultry) you'll be fine.
This discussion has been closed.