Newly diagnosed w/ diabetes

Options
Just got diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and it has me in a bit of shock. Looking for online app recommendations to help me navigate this and recommendations on how to use MFP to the best advantage.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    MFP? When setting up your profile it will ask you about your goal. Tell it you want to maintain your current weight and it will give a calorie target. Then do it again to lose 1 lb per week. Then 1/2 lb per week. That will give you an idea of what you need for a calorie deficit.

Get any idea of how long it will take to get to goal weight out of your head. If you have a significant amount to lose don’t think about it. Think in terms of 5 lbs. What you want is a downward trend that you can live with. A plan we won’t actually follow is not a good plan. The good news is that plans can be fixed.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    Oops. Wrong button.

Calorie counting supported by a food diary works. Start a food diary and never stop. Log everything no matter what. Over your number? Log it. Crazy over? Log that too. No just throwing up your hands and quitting when things go awry. And they will go awry. There is a long calorie counting learning curve and lots of ways to make mistakes. Everything from diet fatigue to simple math mistakes will throw you off stride. Your own brain will try to wreck by exaggerating every misstep as solid proof that you can’t do it.

But you can do it. Know this- calorie counting works. It has to work, it’s how our bodies are designed. Just like we gain weight eating extra calories we will lose eating in a deficit.

Don’t go to pieces if the numbers don’t seem to work for you. Calorie counting isn’t all that exact. Gray areas are unavoidable. Almost forgot- get a food scale and use it whenever possible. Use measuring cups for liquids.

Don’t forget- log no matter what. The process is more important than the numbers. Never quit. Good luck.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor referred you to a dietician? I was a type 1 diabetic until received a transplant. Started carb counting in the 90s. The goal of a diabetic diet is to keep blood sugars steady and avoid huge insulin spikes. A sample diet for me was 3 servings of carbs at each meal and a bedtime snack of 1 serving of carbs on 1400 calories. A serving of carbs is 15 grams. Emphasize high fiber and complex carbs.
    If you are a type 2 diabetic, you may want to consider a low carb diet.
    Did your doctor perform a test to determine if you are type 1 or 2? Mine didn't and told me that I was type 2. I was put on oral medication initially but accumulated many health problems resulting in the loss of my right eye and my kidney and extensive nerve damage in hands, legs and digestive tract. Was not diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic until 21 years later when received a kidney/pancreas transplant.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with diabetes last March, I was referred to a dietitian. I brought my iPad with and she showed me how to adjust the food macros to percents she recommended for me of carbs, protein, fat, etc. I have followed her recommendation and have lost 21 pounds. It was gradual, but then I’m 71. I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a professional.
  • mvarraveto
    mvarraveto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ahhh some of these responses are deeply problematic!! So I agree, be consistent with your entries here and don't lie about portions. I do think that it's not a bad idea to measure out food (esp. oils, seeds, nuts, snacks) as these can add up quick. But make sure that logging in constantly doesn't cause you to be thinking about food and macros all day long. That's really unhealthy in the long run and can lead to depression, anxiety, or an obsession with weight loss. Also, there's no diabetic diet. I work with a dietician because I had really high blood sugar. If you can commit to a keto diet or "low carb" and be consistent long-term, that's great! Just make sure it's sustainable and you won't cave because you miss bread - that's often how weight comes right back. For me, even with a A1C level in the diabetic range, I eat carbs and my blood sugar has gone way down. But you really need to consult with your doctor to find what works for YOU specifically. People on here recommending low or no carb diets often have no professional training and speak from personal experience. Best of luck!
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mum of a type 1 here. If you just need support or to vent let me know💕