Walking, is it a myth?

I'm struggling to fit a gym workout in after work;

I get up at 7am, swim at 7.30 for 45/60 minutes.
My commute to work means I'm there by 9.30am, I work until 5.30pm.
By 6pm I'm home, have dinner and by 7pm I'm ready for a nap!
Once I've sat down I don't want to get changed, drive to the gym, workout and drive back again.

So, what about an evening walk? I live opposite a park and I can listen to my audiobooks as I have a trundle.

How much have you lost walking? Is it a myth that its good for weight-loss, or have you found truth in it?

Replies

• lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    Ah, I never even considered that I could transition to jogging after my stamina improves! Thank you, Lietchi!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Why do you think you need more exercise after a 45 minute swim and a full day at work?

I mean, sure, it's good for you - but you're not going to burn a lot of calories in a 45 minute walk...

I am older and most of my exercise is walking/slow jogging. I do it daily for one hour, but that's plenty. I am 5'8" 140 and I only "burn" about 200 calories for that one hour 3MPH walk.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I used to think walking was not "good enough" as I didn't think it burned enough calories. The truth is, walking (especially outside) is good for a number of things. I often walk outside as I found it good for me for a number of reasons, but I never pay attention to how many calories it burns. I got out of that mindset awhile ago, and I've managed to get to a 20.6 BMI and keep it there, and I don't see myself moving up in that range a whole lot. I focus now on steps/day rather than calories burned.

What may be helpful is to add in some strength/resistance training in the morning (like 3 days a week) to swap out for your swimming in the morning.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    Walking on a level surface may not burn many calories, but introduce a steep incline and the story changes dramatically! With bad knees I try to avoid running when possible, but set a treadmill at a steep incline with a decent pace, and I guarantee you will be huffing and puffing in no time! (Doesn't much address the OP question about walking in a park...)
  • lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you all so much for your help and experience.

I tend to be a bit impatient when it comes to weight loss (I've lost a 8kg in 8 weeks, so should probably give myself a break) and thought introducing a second, low impact workout might aid with that.

However, I also understand that swimming for almost an hour six days a week is probably a lot. I do have an office job, tho, and sitting on my bum all day has me a little paranoid!!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'll just +1 the notion that you're definitely already doing plenty of exercise. If you want to add a short stroll to your evenings, that's your prerogative, but yeah you're right, 8kg in 8 weeks is pretty aggressive.

If you're mostly worried about sitting for 8 hours, find ways to break that up and add to your NEAT while you're at work - I keep a cup of water at my desk and need to get up every hour or so to refill it and/or use the restroom, for instance, and the water cooler is on the second floor at the other end of the building. So I get in a 5-10 minute walk including up and down stairs every hour or so. If I were so inclined, I could also probably get up every 20-30 minutes and bang out ten squats or something (I'm not, I do my squatting at the gym in the morning, but I do have an office with a door that closes and a job that wouldn't be impacted if I were so indisposed for, y'know, 90 seconds).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm struggling to fit a gym workout in after work;

I get up at 7am, swim at 7.30 for 45/60 minutes.
    My commute to work means I'm there by 9.30am, I work until 5.30pm.
    By 6pm I'm home, have dinner and by 7pm I'm ready for a nap!
    Once I've sat down I don't want to get changed, drive to the gym, workout and drive back again.

So, what about an evening walk? I live opposite a park and I can listen to my audiobooks as I have a trundle.

How much have you lost walking? Is it a myth that its good for weight-loss, or have you found truth in it?

Walking and or any activity by itself doesn't result weight loss by itself.

One would have to look at your TDEE and how much your calorie deficit is on average in relation. If walking helps you stay in a deficit....great.

Simply put if you are walking 5k or 24k per day but you aren't losing weight, your caloric intake is too high for your current activity level.

To answer your question I walk about 25 miles per week and I've lost nothing because my goal isnt to lose weight so I eat accordingly to my activity level.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited July 2021
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Walking burns calories, so it can definitely help weight loss (provided the 'calories in' side of the equation is correct).

Walking was my primary source of exercise for several months while losing weight. In my case it helped weight loss in the sense that it allowed me to eat more while aiming for the same deficit/weight loss rate.
    Aside from that, it also allowed me to increase my fitness level which was dire at the start of my weight loss journey. Which in turn made it possible to eventually switch to jogging/running. (That being said, I still walk now, on top of running)

This was my trajectory the first time around.
    I was working full time in the infant room of a daycare and I got almost zero exercise. I mean…. Getting paid to hold sleeping babies is a decent gig. But, I definitely got way, way, way out of shape. I bought my son a treadmill to help him, but I discovered day one with it that I couldn’t walk a quarter mile. Which was a big shock. So, I started walking on the treadmill. Inside four months I was running outside on trails with my dogs, and I was loving it!
    nossmf wrote: »
    Walking on a level surface may not burn many calories, but introduce a steep incline and the story changes dramatically! With bad knees I try to avoid running when possible, but set a treadmill at a steep incline with a decent pace, and I guarantee you will be huffing and puffing in no time! (Doesn't much address the OP question about walking in a park...)

Just kill me now if I have to ever walk/run on a treadmill.

I'm with Speakeasy, walking outdoors is the ticket for so many reasons. Luckily I live in a very hilly area (Seattle) so I get that incline thing outside. :)

Preferences aside, I can promise you, a treadmill, stationary bike, or recumbent elliptical beats grinnin’ at the lid.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Walking burns calories, so it can definitely help weight loss (provided the 'calories in' side of the equation is correct).

Walking was my primary source of exercise for several months while losing weight. In my case it helped weight loss in the sense that it allowed me to eat more while aiming for the same deficit/weight loss rate.
    Aside from that, it also allowed me to increase my fitness level which was dire at the start of my weight loss journey. Which in turn made it possible to eventually switch to jogging/running. (That being said, I still walk now, on top of running)

This was my trajectory the first time around.
    I was working full time in the infant room of a daycare and I got almost zero exercise. I mean…. Getting paid to hold sleeping babies is a decent gig. But, I definitely got way, way, way out of shape. I bought my son a treadmill to help him, but I discovered day one with it that I couldn’t walk a quarter mile. Which was a big shock. So, I started walking on the treadmill. Inside four months I was running outside on trails with my dogs, and I was loving it!
    nossmf wrote: »

Just kill me now if I have to ever walk/run on a treadmill.

I'm with Speakeasy, walking outdoors is the ticket for so many reasons. Luckily I live in a very hilly area (Seattle) so I get that incline thing outside. :)

Preferences aside, I can promise you, a treadmill, stationary bike, or recumbent elliptical beats grinnin’ at the lid.

HA! I had never heard that saying, "Grinnin' at the lid." Thanks for that...now I'll have to find a way to work that into conversation. :lol:

• ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    I think walking is great. Not only is it good for the body, it is good for your mental health as well!

To help with the idea of getting home and not wanting to do anything, I tend to go for my walk and eat afterwards. I don't give myself time to sit down when I get home from work because I also know, I won't get up either!
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    I heard an interview with a college swim coach where he talked about why swimmers eat so much. He said when you swim 1 mile, it’s an equivalent to running 4 miles. If you’re pushing yourself in your 45-60 minute swim workout then you should be covered as far as activity goes, and if you’re paranoid because you have an office job, then you can get up and move around or stretch or do something in your office periodically through out the day. Also, if you’re overdoing it with exercise and not getting enough rest, then your body will hold onto as much stored energy as it can.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    An evening walk is a great habit to get into. 🙂