Question: Belly Piercing and workouts?

I'm losing weight, gaining muscle, and am so so so happy with what's left of my little belly, and I've been thinking of getting my belly pierced!

Anybody got theirs done?
What has been your experience with yours? How does it feel under gym pants/tights, how often does is snag, and most importantly, would I need to stop my HIIT sessions for a few weeks while it heals? Do you have any secrets to keep it safe and heal properly, while I can keep doing my workouts?

I'd love to get it done, to be happy and proud of my belly, but I want to make sure it'd be safe while I work out
Any help or advice would be appreciated! :]

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    If you normally wear workout leggings over your tummy button, I would go for a bar rather than a ring (the band can push the ring flat affecting healing). You definitely want to avoid anything rubbing for a while or getting sweat in it. Sadly my body doesn’t like piercings so it grew out quickly - doesn’t happen to everyone, but has happened with two body piercings so I gave up after that! The most important thing to do it follow the after care instructions from your piercers TO THE LETTER. Different piercers and tattooists have different care regimes, so you need to follow their procedure. Don’t be swayed by friends - or people on forums - who tell you it will only heal if you do x, y or z.
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    I have mine pierced. I got it done in 2019. It's completely healed now, obviously. I would definitely suggest NOT wearing leggings that cover it while it's healing, which should take between 6 months to a year. I folded my leggings down under it while it was still healing and wore loose tops. It might get sore/irritated during workouts, especially core workouts, but as long as you clean it after it should be fine. I avoided anything that required laying on my belly, but that's about it. I did salt water "soaks" using a wet paper towel, and that helped ease any irritation from working out. You should definitely find a reputable piercer and do whatever they say, though. I did exactly what mine said to do, and it healed perfectly and doesn't bother me now at all.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    LOL, back when I got mine pierced in 1996, high waist pants weren't really a thing....or maybe they were, but like the OG high-rise. Even though it's been awhile, I don't remember doing anything to different my, other than just being careful those first few weeks where my pants sit on my waist. I wouldn't think you'd have to really modify your workouts, though, except for any that you may do lying face down. I had mine up until I delivered my son back in 2009.

Like others have said, though, just follow your aftercare instructions EXACTLY. Oh, and a funny tidbit that may or may not be important to you: my friend for hers done at the same time. However, she removed it a few months later upon the advice of her boyfriend, as it got I'm the way when they were DTD.
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Do not get one if you plan on getting pregnant ever. Please trust me on that lol.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I had mine done at 18. Now 42. If you think you’ll change your mind at some point & want it out don’t get one. That hole does not close & you will be left with the hole permanently. Only a plastic surgeon can remove the “tube” and close it.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I had mine done at 18. Now 42. If you think you’ll change your mind at some point & want it out don’t get one. That hole does not close & you will be left with the hole permanently. Only a plastic surgeon can remove the “tube” and close it.

Yep, still have mine almost 12 years after I took it out. I was actually wondering, after reading this post, I could still put one in. I highly doubt it, but now I"m curious. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how I look at it), my loose skin covers up the hole if I even bend over slightly.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    @Speakeasy76 I still have mine. No kids for me so I’ve just kept it in. I rather have the “diamond in my bellybutton” as my 5 year old niece says than the dark spot from the hole. Had I known this would be the case I probably wouldn’t have gotten it. It may be cute now but I think I’ll look ridiculous at 50/60 with it. At least I know surgical removal is an option.
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member

That's not the case for everyone. I got mine pierced back when I was about 19/20 and it never healed because I had to wear a uniform that buttoned right on my belly button so it was constantly irritated. I gave up, and it closed up just fine. There was a slight scar, but nothing too noticeable. I got it pierced again a couple years ago, and the piercer even said that the scar tissue was very minimal. I'm 38 now, and I really couldn't care less what other people think/will think about my piercings (I have several others). I like them, and it's the only jewelry I wear usually.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member

Yep, still have mine almost 12 years after I took it out. I was actually wondering, after reading this post, I could still put one in. I highly doubt it, but now I"m curious. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how I look at it), my loose skin covers up the hole if I even bend over slightly.

Sometimes you can reopen previously established piercings using a taper. And lube. And patience. You want to put the smallest/thinnest jewellery in jt to start with usually as it's similar to stretching a piercing and you want to minimise the trauma to your skin. I have plenty of piercings I don't regularly wear jewellery in but sometimes I will reopen them and wear some for a while. I don't even have to bother with a taper for my tongue piercing, one of my lip piercings or my septum. They just accept jewellery straight off the bat. I personally don't care about old piercings holes though, I think they're pretty unobtrusive.
  • claireychn074
    @Talan79 thats not the case for everyone. My two body piercings totally healed up. My tummy bottom piercing was in for about a year but actually grew out - piercer recommended I didn’t have it done again as the same would happen. No sign at all I ever had anything. My other piercing had to be taken out for 24 hrs for hospital scans: couldn’t get it back in, cue trip to piercer who said it had healed ridiculously quickly and would need stretching and maybe even repiercing. Given I knew I had more scans and hospital treatment coming up and I gave in and let it heal - again, no sign at all that I’ve ever had a piercing 🤷‍♂️
  • claireychn074
    Oh Claire - check your post before posting. I meant tummy button not tummy bottom 😳
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    @Talan79 thats not the case for everyone. My two body piercings totally healed up. My tummy bottom piercing was in for about a year but actually grew out - piercer recommended I didn’t have it done again as the same would happen. No sign at all I ever had anything. My other piercing had to be taken out for 24 hrs for hospital scans: couldn’t get it back in, cue trip to piercer who said it had healed ridiculously quickly and would need stretching and maybe even repiercing. Given I knew I had more scans and hospital treatment coming up and I gave in and let it heal - again, no sign at all that I’ve ever had a piercing 🤷‍♂️

Yes, exactly the same for me, too. I've had my belly button pierced 4 times over the span of 20-ish years because it just grows itself out and completely heals within a year or two. It's very odd so I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to!