Other forms of cardio

Options
I recently asked about a row machine in another post for my home gym and the majority said the concept2 is the way to go. Unfortunately while I occasionally kayak i am not a serious Rower. I am a serious 5k runner who is looking to burn fat and even build strength. I have bad knees!! I already own an indoor treadmill and a Schwinn airdyne D6 air bike. I am looking for another home gym or outdoor activities to help with cardio. Any suggestions as I want to start asap. Also any other Rower reccomendations for a 6'2 tall person in the #100 to $400 range. Not the Concept2.
Thanks in advance!!!!!! :-)

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    For someone with "bad knees" who insists on running 5Ks regularly, I'm surprised you don't want to add in calesthenics (or even some plyometrics, under the right conditions) to help stabilize the muscles supporting the front and back of your knees.

As such, beyond checking in with a physiotherapist or sports therapist, I'd suggest a mat and yoga blocks for, well, yoga...which can have a cardio component to it depending on the type of yoga practice chosen.
  • mlfen0778
    mlfen0778 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @Maltedtea

Thanks! That's a great idea. Hopefully I can get more as I am struggling alot with what to do emotionally.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I was going to suggest my favorite outdoor activities that are cardiovascular exercise, but realized they may or may not be possible where you live.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I remember your rowing thread. You might get serious advice about what's with your knees. A chronic condition is one thing, but a lot of "bad knees", e.g. common patellar tendonitis, can be overcome with the right hip and/or ankle strengthening. The "kneecap" runs up and down a track that gets pulled askew by attached thigh or calf muscles. I went from recurring knee pain to currently doing painless "glutes to grass" and single-leg squats, mainly from improving hip and glute strength with some ankle work, with bells and bands. I recently got and quite like a set of the big loop-style resistance bands and there are HIIT and similar workouts for them, as is for pricier dumbbells and kettlebells.
  • mlfen0778
    Options
    @NorthCascades

I live in Rochester NY. Which is upstate NY. There's nothing really special here. I live outside of the city. So there's nearby parks
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing (or even heavy bag boxing) is a good CV workout that's not too heavy on the knees. You could even do shadow boxing seated on a bench if your knees are really playing up. Kettlebell swings may also be good for you.
  • mlfen0778
    Options
    @I2k4
    I had a meniscus tear and part of it removed and have developed some arthritis. The doctor wasn't really helpful and discouraged PT. I really don't want to contact since time has passed and knee has healed. I just know i was told doing marathons would destroyed my knee and i am still able to do 5k races. I am to afraid to do things like jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climber even though my feet are in the air when running. I want to find lower impact stuff for my home gym and outside so I can still lose weight and build some lean muscle. Not looking to bulk but just want maybe like 10 to 20 pounds of muscle. To help my running And even to just look good as I am now 41 yrs old. I do have dumbells and resistance band as well as other things. I think alot of my problem is metal fear. Just really need help to know i can achieve all this longterm

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    mlfen0778 wrote: »
    @I2k4
    I had a meniscus tear and part of it removed and have developed some arthritis. The doctor wasn't really helpful and discouraged PT. I really don't want to contact since time has passed and knee has healed. I just know i was told doing marathons would destroyed my knee and i am still able to do 5k races. I am to afraid to do things like jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climber even though my feet are in the air when running. I want to find lower impact stuff for my home gym and outside so I can still lose weight and build some lean muscle. Not looking to bulk but just want maybe like 10 to 20 pounds of muscle. To help my running And even to just look good as I am now 41 yrs old. I do have dumbells and resistance band as well as other things. I think alot of my problem is metal fear. Just really need help to know i can achieve all this longterm

FWIW:

I have a meniscus tear (maybe both knees now, based on feel, but only one was scanned), plus some knee and hip osteoarthritis, and (it now seems) osteopenia has probably progressed to osteoporosis. (Sigh.) I've chosen to defer surgery, as my orthopedist said I wasn't burning any bridges by doing so.

In that context, my doctor also resisted referring me to physical therapy. I don't know if it will work for you, but I convinced him by saying that I knew PT couldn't possibly "cure" my knees, but that wanted PT to help me learn to walk and climb stairs (plus do other normal-life things) in ways that would reduce the stress on my knees, so possibly moderate pain/discomfort levels. He bought into that, and referred me.

Maybe that strategy could work for you?

Once at PT, I asked for that help, plus any other advice they thought would help me, which included talking about what kinds of exercise would be helpful or to be avoided.

(The walking/stairs advice and exercises did help, in my perception, too. My leg strength is good (I'm one of those C2 rower bigots 😉), and the therapist agreed that was true, but there was some tightness in my hips that limited motion and led to some avoidable knee stresses. PT helped with that. I can't remember exactly when that was, but probably close to a decade ago, and I still haven't chosen surgery - but I did lose weight in that time, too, which helped a lot also.)

In case it helps: I mostly just row and bike, both of those indoors/stationary and outdoors (water, roads/trails). Could swim, but do the minimum because I find it icky and don't want to. I can lift, sometimes do, but go on and off for reasons unrelated to knees; but there are certain strength exercises I don't do. Freeweights, machines, kettlebell routines can all work for me, as long as I avoid the trigger exercises. I don't do things that involve much impact (including running, though I do walk some), nor things that torque my knees (like aerobic dance, anything with weighted turning on a leg, fast break sports like basketball or tennis, etc. I wouldn't do kung fu or tai chi anymore, at least not regularly (used to), but some related exercises would be OK for me (bag work, kick drills, etc.)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Endless rope machines are bad *kitten*. I would love to have a high end one. But if you have weight rack at home, you can sometimes find one cheap. They are amazing for cardio and fantastic for shoulders and legs. I absolutely love them.

Ones that work with friction are the most likely ones to find cheaper.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @I2k4

That explains a lot, unlike my tendonitis permanent damage creates a real problem between working "on" the knee to maximize it and working "around" it to achieve cardio objectives. Sounds like you have good gear to get good upper body and core workouts, but the big cardio taxing muscles are generally the legs. Professional guidance and a gradual program might help.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Get thee a rebounder (mini tramoline)! Super gentle on the joints and burns crazy calories. Workouts can be as gentle or intense as you want to make them.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/nasa-the-trampoline-and-you/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades

I live in Rochester NY. Which is upstate NY. There's nothing really special here. I live outside of the city. So there's nearby parks

How do you feel about rock climbing? It's fun, difficult, it's cardio and strength, there's a lot of personal growth involved. Upstate has some really good rock. (I grew up in Connecticut.)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Have a look online for some medicine ball workouts (and get a couple). You can do cleans, wall throws and all sorts of fun stuff. They can be used for HIIT, can be low impact on the knees (depending on what you do), can be awesome for the core, and - personally - I love slamming balls to the floor 🤣 probably shouldn’t admit this but I used to imagine people that were annoying me when I slammed…!

It’s not steady state cardio but will add variety.
  • mlfen0778
    Options
    @claireychn074
    The ball slamming thing sounds great. I would have to do it outside though. Can't slam against a wall. I live in a small condo and my gym room is small with carpeting
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Have a look online for some medicine ball workouts (and get a couple). You can do cleans, wall throws and all sorts of fun stuff. They can be used for HIIT, can be low impact on the knees (depending on what you do), can be awesome for the core, and - personally - I love slamming balls to the floor 🤣 probably shouldn’t admit this but I used to imagine people that were annoying me when I slammed…!

It’s not steady state cardio but will add variety.

My wife bought me an entire set of "slam balls" this past year for X-mas with a stand. From like 10 lbs up to 40 lbs. I had never heard of slam balls. I knew medicine balls, but not slam balls. The difference is that slam balls hit the ground and squish and don't bounce. So they don't slam into things and break stuff and you then have to pick them up, do a weighted squat, picking them up, in order to slam them again.

They are fantastic, but if you use a high weight, you really can't do all that many. 15 of them with a 40 lb weight destroys me. Great for HIIT, but not sustained cardio IMHO, but one of my favorite things. Heavy KBs, to me, are easier to keep doing and also really get your HR up.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'm confused. If you're a serious running and you want to get better at running, why are you thinking about rowing? If you want to run faster and/or further, run more. When you aren't running, do things to support your running... things like mobility work, strength training, etc.

You already have a stationary bike for lower impact training... I think you've got your cardio bases covered. If it were me, and I know this isn't really what you asked for, I'd look at some type of suspension trainer. Small, relatively cheap, very versatile. A few kettlebells would be a good choice as well.

But since I hate when people offer advice that doesn't answer the question... my answer to your question would be getting access to a pool. If you need another cardio exercise, swim.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    You have a treadmill to support running on days when weather doesn't permit running outside, but that's not the only use for a treadmill. Try setting the incline to the maximum level and walk. My knees don't allow me to continue my 5k days from college (I'm 44yo), but walking I can still do, and at an incline I can get my heart rate pretty high and breathing hard, especially if I set the pace at a brisk walk (right under a light jog). Added bonus of getting better on hills, which many 5k races incorporate to some degree. Pick one day per week to swap out a level run for an incline walk.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with @jjpptt2 that swimming would be a really good option. I know a few triathletes who combine swimming, running and cycling because they found they were prone to injuries when they focussed on just running. My other half, in particular, is much stronger and fitter for mixing them and hasn’t suffered an injury for a few years now. His performance in each of the three has improved loads too. He doesn’t train three times as often or anything, and tends to follow seasons so that road cycling drops off over winter etc. Over time though the benefits have been surprisingly good.
  • mlfen0778
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice I'm a look into buying a slam ball, TRX cable use my treadmill for more than running on.
    @jjpptt2 I think you are right. If I want to be a better runner i need to do things more tailored for runners. I will have look up mobility stuff. Find information on website and figure out how i can customize all this to fit my schedule