Loose skin

Options
I’ve currently lost 59 lbs and still have more to lose. But I keep getting told that I must feel so happy but I’m not. I look good clothes but I hate the way my stomach and boobs look. I have lose and saggy skin. I’m hoping as the loss continues that I’ll get used to it. Has anybody got any tips to try and help myself adjust sooner?

Replies

• j3ffr3y
    j3ffr3y Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have about 50-60lbs to lose and have wondered about loose skin as well. Wondering what non-surgical options for removing it over time are out there, and if anyone knows how long it can take for everything to naturally tighten back up, or is surgery the only way to remove it?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I’ve lost nearly a hundred, starting almost three years ago.

It will get better, with continued good nutrition and exercise, and a healthy dose of patience.

I have very little loose skin now, unless I pluck at my belly. Even the loose skin there is slowly diminishing.

I’ve reached a point where every few days I realize, “oh, snap! That’s looking way better right there!”
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    When it comes to self-perception of loose skin, an unfortunate truth (IMO), one that discourages many people, is that many of us will look worse part way to goal weight than we will at goal weight, and worse at goal weight than we'll look some months down the road in weight maintenance.

Fat doesn't neatly melt off starting with the outermost layer, then proceed tidily inward. Instead, fat cells anywhere in the fat mass may deplete, so that we get squishy or even floppy, like a water balloon part full of water (no air) as compared to a water balloon totally full of water. That remaining squishy fat conspires with gravity to keep skin stretched out.

When a particular body area has lost nearly all its fat, the skin shrinkage can *start*. Then the shrinking process itself takes time.

It may be instructive to go over to the Success Stories part of the Community, and look at before and after pictures of people who've lost a lot of weight, and perhaps even maintained that weight for a while. Some of them even share bathing suit pics, or equivalent.

I'm not saying they have zero loose skin, or that you'll have zero loose skin. There's no way to know for sure. But I think many, many people have fears about loose skin that are more extreme than what they'll actually experience in the long run. Part way through loss, though, things can look a little scary - I get it.

I only lost 50-some pounds, but did so at age 59-60. My loose skin kept shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance, and maybe beyond. Nowadays, I think I don't look *dramatically* different from women my age who've always been slim. A little different? Sure. But most people wouldn't notice, even in a bathing suit. When I'm in normal summer street clothes, people are visibly surprised if it happens to come up in conversation that I was obese or near-obese for most of my adult life.

It can come out much better than you're anticipating. Try to find a way to wait for those long-term results, not be discouraged by what you might imagine they might be.

I posted photos to show other women my age what my loose skin looks like, or did look like a few months back.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809632/loose-skin-50lbs-loss-at-60-4-years-maintenance/p1

I'm going to take the liberty of posting a before and after thread by @springlering62, who posted on this thread just a few posts above, who lost more weight than I did, and looks better than I do.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763291/my-turn-to-overshare-my-adventure/p1

Might you have worrisome results long term? Possible. Also very possible - I'd say likely - that it won't be as bad as you're thinking right now.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    To save you some time, page 2, towards bottom, has two year anniversary photos of skin “results”
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763291/my-turn-to-overshare-my-adventure/p1

I’ll be posting an update at three years. Skin has continued to shrink, and I now understand that when I see fine lines, especially around elbows and knees, it usually indicates I’m severely dehydrated.

I also recently did a timeline of face photos during weight loss, trying to illustrate what happened to my face:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10838173/loose-facial-skin