Can't weigh in on vacation

Options
BobaPhette
BobaPhette Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2021 in Getting Started
I'll be taking a 10 day hiatus from daily weigh ins in about 2 weeks. I'm going on a road trip so I'm not willing/able to bring a scale.

Has anyone else taken a weigh in break while still tracking meals and exercise? We're you able to stay on track? Did the graph just plateau until you weighed in again?

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I never weigh in when I travel for work or pleasure. It doesn't impact me staying on track. Your weight will read as the same on all graphing until you log a new weight . . . it will look like a plateau when you review it, as the system has no way of knowing the difference between you not seeing a change in your weight and you taking a break from weighing yourself.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh-in while on vacation, and I don't weigh or track food or exercise either. Enjoy your 10 days hiatus and have fun.
  • BobaPhette
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don't weigh-in while on vacation, and I don't weigh or track food or exercise either.

I don't usually either, but I literally just started MFP 3 days ago. I might see if it's a burden at first and if it is I'll just stop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never weighed in on vacation. I haven't logged calories in years, but when I did I never did so on vacation either. I've also never gained anything besides water weight on vacation...and usually I end up losing a couple pounds on vacation.

I'm far more active on vacation than I am in my day to day life where I exercise regularly, but also sit at a desk most of the day. On vacation I'm out and about seeing what there is to see and doing things and moving. There is usually a ton of walking involved.

I'm heading to Miami for vacation in a few days. We have a day scheduled in South Beach where we will be doing a ton of walking, shopping, as well as chilling on the beach. Another day in the Everglades that includes a two hour nature walk. Four hour snorkel tour in Key Largo one day and we're stopping in Islamarada on our drive to Key West to kayak to Indian Key...about 45 minutes each way. And then Key West is pretty much a park your car and walk kind of place...so tons of walking over the few days we'll be there.

Way more active on vacation...I've never really worried about this stuff on vaca...and in reality, what I'm doing normally in my life is obviously far more material to my weight management.
  • BobaPhette
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. We will be doing a lot of hiking in national parks so I'll also be much more active than usual.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Yes, the graph just shows a flat space, angled up or down to your next weigh in.

Just FYI to anyone else reading, they do make travel scales that pack down compact and are pretty consistent in their weights, although they may not be accurate to your home scale. My travel scale weighs about 10% heavy, so I have to adjust for that when entering the weight I obtain on it. But it’s about the size of the bottom edge of a rolling 22” carryon luggage bag, the side with the wheels, and about 1/2” high. An option if you travel often and don’t wish to lose that daily habit.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't even think 10 days not weighing yourself is even worth worrying about. I stopped weighing myself every week or two when I realized that it often caused me anxiety or disappointment. I tried to cut back to only weighing myself once/month.

You want to see an overall down trend...not necessarily lower numbers each week. It's hard but I found my mental space was much better.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! You're saying road trip. I bet your water weight will have gone up after the first day. Traveling has an interesting effect on water weight. Flying, even 3hr flights are killing, but even sitting in a car or train for a few hours has this effect. So don't worry when you come back and step on the scale. Give it a few days, and I'm sure the weight will go down again.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Don't worry! You're saying road trip. I bet your water weight will have gone up after the first day. Traveling has an interesting effect on water weight. Flying, even 3hr flights are killing, but even sitting in a car or train for a few hours has this effect. So don't worry when you come back and step on the scale. Give it a few days, and I'm sure the weight will go down again.

This happened to me on my recent vacation (travelled by car.) I missed my normal weigh in day, weighed the day after we got back and had gained a couple pounds. Weighed in again on my normal day and had lost all the gain plus a little more. Water is weird.