Tips to break plateau

Options
Chic_geek31
Chic_geek31 Posts: 34 Member
edited July 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone has any tips on how I can break my plateau. I’ve been at the same weight 172lbs for over 2 weeks. I started at 200lbs 4 months ago. I’m eating 1200-1400 calories a day and not really active. Should I increase activity? Take a break and eat at maintenance for a week? I don’t think I should cut calories since I’m already eating a low amount.

BTW: 170 is my normal weight. This past year I gained 30lbs and now that I lost them. I’m at my normal weight. Maybe that’s why I’m stuck here? But I want to be at 145lbs

Replies

• IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bodies hate change, so it makes sense that you would plateau at your previous "normal weight". Like Lietchi said, be patient. If you're actually eating at that deficit, then weight loss WILL happen. Do you use a food scale and log your food accurately? If not, you could be eating way more or less than you think. You might also want to add some form of exercise. That will definitely help you overall.
  • KelpieLass
    KelpieLass Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not what you want to hear, but 2 weeks isn't really a plateau. More of a stall. :) I think the general MFP definition of a plateau is 6 weeks with no movement on the scale. But that being said, it is still frustrating. @Lietchi has given you some good advice. Just keep being consistent and accurate with your logging and have patience. The scale will start moving again. :) Congrats on the loss so far. Try and get yourself in the headspace of accepting your losses will slow down as you have less to lose and there will likely be more temporary stalls on the road ahead. Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at what your maintenance calories are at now. (170lbs?). That will give you an idea of what your deficit is at your current intake and you can adjust your loss expectations accordingly.

Agree patience is needed.

Agree that a diet break may be beneficial.
    (Good reasons given above)

Agree that cals shouldn’t need to be dropped.

Agree with reviewing your logging.

(Honestly I was quite lax on weighing some items (slice of bread, mandarin oranges, and bananas, I just used an average) once my weight loss was closer to goal everything got revised and weighed. Made a small but significant difference)

I also think it is helpful to look at what your calorie intake will be at your goal weight. That will give you a good idea of how your weight loss will decrease over time maintaining your current intake.

(Sometimes how much we get to eat and how much we want to weigh don’t coincide. Make sure your eventual intake will be sustainable)

Cheers, h.
  • stuntin666
    stuntin666 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    well I have a bad habit of drinking my calories, polar pops to be exact, so check that ur not drinking ur cals.
    yes switch up ur routine. ive been doing growwithjo's walking workouts on youtube, the workouts are fun and over before u know it and alot to choose from.
    up calories for a week or two and then drop them back down to you regular intake.
    try chicken and veggies, or fish and veggies, beans, cabbage, all that good stuff.
    these are the things that have worked for me before, so try them out.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    NOT a plateau, but a stall. Bump calories by 500 a day for a couple of days and then get back on routine and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff do you mean cut 500 or add 500? Thanks!